Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

cold fingers & toes

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

cold fingers & toes

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-21, 12:53 PM
jethro00

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
cold fingers & toes

We ride a tandem every morning, except when it is raining or below freezing. We live in a moderate climate, so it is rarely below freezing. This morning, it was 33 degrees and windy. We wore silk long johns upper and lower with a lot of layers on top, a gaiter on our necks, and a knit cap over our heads and ears. That worked fine. The only things that really got uncomfortably cold were our finger tips and toe. We wore silk glove liners with heavier gloves on top. We wore silk socks with heavier socks on top. Our shoes are black sneakers (don't show chain grease or dirt). What do others do to keep their finger tips and toes warm on cold mornings? Thanks.
Old 02-19-21, 01:29 PM
headasunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Lobster gloves work really well and toe warmers on your shoes
Old 02-19-21, 01:37 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Bar Mitts/Pogies are great for keeping hands warm.
Feet, I use electrically heated insoles. I’ve got reduced circulation, and there isn’t a boot in existence that will keep my toes warm unassisted.
Old 02-19-21, 08:11 PM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
+1000 on Lobster gloves. I have never found warmer gloves for riding. Get ones with liners.

For the feet, I can't say enough good things about Gator tip toe neoprene toe covers. https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/netiptoeco.html

These are thin and go over your socks before you put your shoes on. You will easily get 10 to 20 degrees colder comfort range before you would want to go further with insulated boots or booties. Seriously, these things are amazing.

You can also put those air activated stick on foot warmer pads on top of your foot right under the gator and you will be fine. It's amazing how adding a little heat at your extremities will keep them warm.
Old 02-19-21, 08:24 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Alcanbrad
+1000 on Lobster gloves. I have never found warmer gloves for riding. Get ones with liners.

For the feet, I can't say enough good things about Gator tip toe neoprene toe covers. https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/netiptoeco.html

These are thin and go over your socks before you put your shoes on. You will easily get 10 to 20 degrees colder comfort range before you would want to go further with insulated boots or booties. Seriously, these things are amazing.

You can also put those air activated stick on foot warmer pads on top of your foot right under the gator and you will be fine. It's amazing how adding a little heat at your extremities will keep them warm.
me they don't do a lot I need electric gloves but that could just be me.
Old 02-19-21, 08:31 PM
New2Two

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Bar Mitts for the hands. I used to commute into the low 20's with Bar Mitts and lighter gloves and my fingers were fine. I used Neoprene shoe covers and wool socks to keep my feet warm.
Old 02-21-21, 02:40 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 129 Posts
Avoid any shoe covers that are tight though! Similar to wearing two pairs of socks, they defeat (defeet!) the goal of warmer feet by restricting blood flow and making your feet cold! I ride with thin Gore-Tex shoe covers and I'm simply amazed had how warm my feet stay over my old, thin nominal leather road shoes. They completely eliminate the wind from cooling the feet off. Most shoes are designed with ventilation in mind, which is good under most preferred cycling conditions. But when the weather turns really cold, that ventilation proves to be a major problem. Even the thinnest booties can eliminate much of the problem. That's my experience anyway.

And gloves? I never found full finger gloves to be much of an improvement. Individual fingers simply get cold in the wind. What I've found works really well are, again, thin Gore-Tex glove mitten covers. They're simply waterproof covers to go over any glove. They're designed for skiing but work for anything. I put them over long or short finger cycling gloves and my hands are perfectly happy! However, one caveat is that the design restricts individual finger dexterity and control. Some riders my find these gloves a no-go for cycling, so YMMV.

And to conclude, I have to add that I'm not cycling in sub-zero or even freezing temps, so take that into consideration as well.