Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

2020 Edition of indoor cycling setups

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

2020 Edition of indoor cycling setups

Old 12-26-20, 09:21 PM
noOriginalNames

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm just getting into Zwift and indoor cycling as a whole but so far it seems like a great way to kill some time and get some kms during the winter. My setup is ultra basic right now, will probably need to add a fan sooner rather than later as my sessions get longer. Unfortunately the room needs to fill multiple roles in our house right now, the most important of which is somewhere for my 7 month old to play...

Old 12-26-20, 09:33 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by noOriginalNames
I'm just getting into Zwift and indoor cycling as a whole but so far it seems like a great way to kill some time and get some kms during the winter. My setup is ultra basic right now, will probably need to add a fan sooner rather than later as my sessions get longer. Unfortunately the room needs to fill multiple roles in our house right now, the most important of which is somewhere for my 7 month old to play...

fan is a must. mind the baby's fingers while riding.
Likes For spelger:
Old 12-27-20, 06:07 AM
noOriginalNames

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
fan is a must. mind the baby's fingers while riding.
I tend to ride in the evening when he is in bed. Our house is way too chaotic any other time of day with the little guy and the pets.
Likes For noOriginalNames:
Old 12-27-20, 08:55 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
My current set up. I'm pretty pleased with it. Nowhere near as much fun as outdoor riding, but it'll keep me from loosing too much over the winter.
Likes For bmcer:
Old 12-28-20, 04:49 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer
My current set up. I'm pretty pleased with it. Nowhere near as much fun as outdoor riding, but it'll keep me from loosing too much over the winter.
Looking good, no front wheel riser?
Old 12-28-20, 05:13 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Looking good, no front wheel riser?
Not yet. I’ve got one on the way. It’s only slightly “downhill” as it is and doesn’t bother me much.
Likes For bmcer:
Old 02-02-21, 01:44 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
After finishing up the painting in our basement, we've re arranged ... ok, mostly just a new location with the same bikes/trainers. (Libby is photobombing)

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 02-05-21, 09:29 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Finally all the kids have moved out..... So I built out a crafting pain cave for my wife, complete with customized closet shelving

And I took another room to use as my office and trainer room. Man I love not having kids in the house . The beauty of this setup is that I can run Rouvy on my PC and still have full view of the TV if I want to watch a show or movie, or if I want, just put Rouvy on the TV

Last edited by jaxgtr; 02-07-21 at 04:40 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-06-21, 03:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
Everyone's Pain Cave is so much neater than mine! Mine has the advantage of being in an unheated, but finished garage, so it's been in the 50s for a couple months now. Even with two fans on high, I still sweat like nobody's business, but at least I don't overheat.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-08-21, 01:24 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Everyone's Pain Cave is so much neater than mine! Mine has the advantage of being in an unheated, but finished garage, so it's been in the 50s for a couple months now. Even with two fans on high, I still sweat like nobody's business, but at least I don't overheat.
For my entire life (60 years) I have lived in apartments and now the condo (glorified apartment) and when someone says they have a garage, I am envious! Even unheated a garage in my world would be a luxury. Glad to hear you have a place to work out and not get overheated.

To everyone who has posted, it was really nice to see all kinds of setups and how creative some people are. It is real testament on how much many of us love riding bikes even if it is indoors. It doesn't matter if you have a separate room, shared room, a nook in the basement or garage, pick a place and ride. Thanks to everyone who shared.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 02-08-21, 02:21 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
After finishing up the painting in our basement, we've re arranged ... ok, mostly just a new location with the same bikes/trainers. (Libby is photobombing)

a little unrelated but...

can you have a look at this thread and comment...?

https://www.bikeforums.net/training-...tion-feet.html
Likes For spelger:
Old 02-10-21, 10:50 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
One thing that I cannot recommend highly enough is one of those sweat shields that attaches to your handlebars and seatpost, AND towels. Riding outside on hot days, I will often find a line of crusty salt underneath the top tube from sweat. And that's a lot of it evaporating off me. Using a sweat shield, plus a towel over the bars, plus another towel for mopping my face, I find the top tube doesn't even get anything on it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-10-21, 12:13 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by genejockey
One thing that I cannot recommend highly enough is one of those sweat shields that attaches to your handlebars and seatpost, AND towels. Riding outside on hot days, I will often find a line of crusty salt underneath the top tube from sweat. And that's a lot of it evaporating off me. Using a sweat shield, plus a towel over the bars, plus another towel for mopping my face, I find the top tube doesn't even get anything on it.
Truth ^^^^

I call that sweat shield my 'bike thong'
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 02-14-21, 06:54 PM
Zoxe

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Bianchi Imola, Surly Cross Check 105, Twin6 Standard TI FSU

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Shortly after the first of the year, I started down the path of a Zwift setup using my old Surly Cross Check.

Initial setup - Tacx Flux S, Surly Cross check, honeywell fan, laptop and TV tray.

Top ace mechanic Henry inspected all my efforts.

Swapped the laptop for a "laptop in a box" from Amazon. This is Laptop components in a very small enclosure. Tied to a USB sound bar, cheap kb and mouse and an old monitor, I was in business.

Testing the laptop in a box. Ace Mechanic Sherman looks for trouble.

Added a 2nd Honeywell fan and put both fans on a cheap RF remote intended for Christmas lights. The microwave rack (found on Amazon) fits the space perfectly and replaced the TV tray shenanigans. There is room if I want to upgrade the old monitor to a larger screen.

A pair of landscaping LCDs from Amazon offer some mood lighting. They cycle colors and have their own RF remote.
Likes For Zoxe:
Old 02-14-21, 09:12 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by Zoxe

A pair of landscaping LCDs from Amazon offer some mood lighting. They cycle colors and have their own RF remote.
you are putting us all to shame with this setup, especially mine in post #18. Nice!
Likes For spelger:
Old 02-15-21, 07:15 AM
Zoxe

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Bianchi Imola, Surly Cross Check 105, Twin6 Standard TI FSU

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
you are putting us all to shame with this setup, especially mine in post #18. Nice!
Hah! Thank you! I've enjoyed cobbling it together. The RF remote (fans) and lights really add to the cohesion of the homebuilt setup but in the grand scheme didn't add much cost. The OTHER side of the spare bedroom is a tangled mess of other stuff I've displaced. Eventually I'll need to cut some of that clutter if we anticipate having guests again.

I set up a small blog to talk about my return to bikes; I've more or less been away from the sport since early 2017. Posting is scarce, and my power numbers are low, but I did expand the full list of items that I sourced to help with Amazon searches.

https://zoxerider.blogspot.com/2021/01/zwift-setup.html
Old 02-18-21, 12:03 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 61 Posts
What, no roller implementations?
Old 02-19-21, 07:43 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Keep the kitties away from the trainer!
Likes For gthomson:
Old 02-19-21, 01:50 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

If you use your phone while on the trainer (like Zwift Companion app) ... I gotta share a 'hack' for mounting your phone: I got a frame/case for my phone and an adhesive quarter turn mount and BOOM! my phones on my Garmin mount! (I don't think I trust this mount riding outside)

Old 02-20-21, 11:23 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9529 Post(s)
Liked 6,269 Times in 3,457 Posts
Use a QuadLock mount on bars for phone.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 02-21-21, 12:50 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Also want to stress that pets and children and trainers don't mix well. I hope (pray) no one here is as stupid as some of the folks on ******, but there are some very unhappy posts there about tails, paws, etc.

It's not realistic to ask a cat to avoid it generally, but if you can't close off your training space, you may wish to think of a solution for that inevitable moment where Mittens, after months of stalking, carefully crouches down out of your sight, and then springs forward to attack! ... and becomes Mitten.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 02-23-21, 04:10 PM
mr_pedro

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
The pain cave currently looks like this:
Likes For mr_pedro:
Old 03-23-21, 09:02 PM
newduguy

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It's ugly, but it works

I'll add my modest setup in the garage. The ventilation is great, but the heat can be pretty bad in the summer.

I mostly run Golden Cheetah for erg mode and the RacerMate software for 3d courses. I also use a portable metabolic cart, 3 moxy's, and a lactate monitor. Lots of fun taking blood samples by yourself while riding.

Pretty ugly, but functional.

Bike, Computrainer, Fan. Boring

The garage lab.
Likes For newduguy: