Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

2015 Reynolds Assault wheel nipple size?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-21, 12:26 PM
SEAcyclist100

Bikes: Specialized Allez Race and Argon 18 Electron

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I want to true my 2015 Reynolds Assault Limited road wheelset but I don't have the recessed nipple wrench tool and I need to buy one.

Does anyone know what nipple wrench will work for this application? Will the Park Tool SW-15 3-way nipple wrench work? What about one of the Park Tool SW single size square drive nipple wrenches (SW-16, SW-17, etc.)? Do I need to buy a proprietary Reynolds tool?

I'd really prefer to avoid buying the proprietary tool if possible because it's useless once you get rid of the Reynolds wheels. Any help is much appreciated, thanks!
Old 02-23-21, 04:15 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I doubt you've done the obvious yet (get in touch w/ Reynolds). It's the black Park nipple wrench. Proprietary nipple wrenches are stupid and luckily only a few manufacturers (Mavic, Shimano, Campy/Fulcrum) had seen fit to aggravate mechanics worldwide w/ that silliness.
Old 02-28-21, 10:17 AM
SEAcyclist100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up eventually getting in touch with Reynolds (their phone was randomly disconnected for a brief time for some reason?) and the guy on the phone said the nipple is a 5mm hex which is one of the ends of the Park SW-15 3-way nipple wrench.

I bought the tool from my LBS and will try it out in the next couple days when I have a chance. I'll post back here to close the loop on this.
Old 03-01-21, 11:49 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by SEAcyclist100
I ended up eventually getting in touch with Reynolds (their phone was randomly disconnected for a brief time for some reason?) and the guy on the phone said the nipple is a 5mm hex which is one of the ends of the Park SW-15 3-way nipple wrench.

I bought the tool from my LBS and will try it out in the next couple days when I have a chance. I'll post back here to close the loop on this.
The Park 3 way works for most internal nipples, which are square, and 2 sizes of hex. The only thing it doesn't work for is deep section rims over 50mm or so which just happens to cover most of the internal rims I work with, so I need the long individual wrenches.
Reynolds is one of the most responsive companies out there. I have contacted them a few times for things like tension specs and they are always right there and ready to help.
EDIT: I just looked that model wheel up and the specs say it has a 48mm profile so the Park 3 way wrench should work, but just barely.

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 03-01-21 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-30-21, 03:17 PM
SEAcyclist100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update: the square socket on the Park SW-15 3-way nipple wrench works with my Reynolds Assault wheels. I put them in the truing stand and got everything trued up so I'm good to go!