Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Help! Advice for riding in your 40s

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Help! Advice for riding in your 40s

Old 02-24-21, 06:56 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 837 Times in 405 Posts
When I hit my mid-40s I began to experience "crampy hands" and morning stiffness in my knees and back although my commuting didn't suffer. I played community league softball and my hands hurt from fielding and batting, and I played catcher a lot and getting up and down in and out of a squat behind the plate was tough.

Four years ago at 55 I started drinking yerba mate instead of coffee due to acid reflux (get ready for that thesongs ). For some people, myself included, yerba mate has some anti-inflammatory properties. At 59 I wake up without morning stiffness in my back and knees, and I can doo deep knee bends like I was 30. My hands are also a little bit better, but that may be because I converted my last straight-bar bike to drop bars which don't bother my hands as much.

The job I bike commuted to for 28 years ended last December, but I would say that or harder, I at 58 my average speed was down a bit, as was my stamina, but my endurance was still good, and I made up for any "feeling old" by pushing my low temperature threshold down to 5F, from 21F in my 30s and 40s. And I began riding in hotter weather with better gear.And I began riding in the rain with rain gear. And I began riding in the snow and ice with studded snow tires. And I began riding to all sorts of places I used to only drive, and carrying loads on my bike rack that I hadn't tried before...not so much heavier, but bulkier.

If I can't ride as hard and fast as when I was younger, I'm going to ride smarter, and more comfortable in harsher conditions.