Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Little Packet That Lives on My Bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-24-21, 08:04 AM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts

I have a small zip lock bag with a copy of my health insurance card, drivers license and credit card and $40. My wife's cell number is on the copy of the health insurance card. Usually I bring all those things with me when I ride, but sometimes I forget. This way I know I always have enough for a snack or drink and information for the emergency room.

My regular riding buddies know about the packet. Sometimes I tell someone in group rides, but not always.
Likes For Sorg67:
Old 02-24-21, 08:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,284 Times in 7,226 Posts
Carry at least one $1 bill to use as a tire boot. And allow me to suggest carrying the bag in a jersey pocket rather than on your bike.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-24-21, 09:03 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
When I was commuting I had my wallet with me in the bag with my street clothes. I also kept some cash in the bag for bus fare, etc.

For pleasure rides (which is all of them now) I carry a credit card, driver's license and $20-$40 cash. Except with covid now I'm trying to avoid cash.

I bike in golf shorts with a belt (it works for me) and I carry my phone in a small side holster which has secure pockets for cards and cash, my wired earbud and, for the last year, a mask.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 02-24-21, 09:18 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
I just carry my phone and wallet in my jersey. Covers it all and no back and forth with a baggy. But then I dont stuff my pockets with a whole lot other than an energy bar.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-24-21, 09:25 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I put a Road ID on my Garmin watch band with emergency contact info. I always carry my ID, insurance card, and a credit card in a pocket somewhere that it can't easily fall out.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 02-24-21, 09:32 AM
Sorg67

Originally Posted by indyfabz
And allow me to suggest carrying the bag in a jersey pocket rather than on your bike.
That is a good suggestion. However, I think I am going to apply it to my actual health insurance card, ID and credit card that I usually carry. The idea of the copies that live on the bike is to make sure I do not forget. I would have to remember to carry in jersey pocket.
Old 02-24-21, 09:39 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
https://www.roadid.com/pages/choose-your-wrist-style
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-24-21, 09:44 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
I'll always believe your ID and any medical info should be on your person. You and your bike may not wind up in the same place or even anywhere near when you have an accident. Same for my phone. I don't want to potentially have to drag myself with broken legs and clavical, back up an embankment to my bike to make a call to 911.

I just put my phone and wallet in a zipper bag and it goes in my back pocket. It's survived several crashes there so I spit on those that claim it'll be easily broken there. <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-24-21, 09:46 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I carry an expired driver's license along with a $20 in a zip lock bag along with my cell phone in my center jersey pocket.
Old 02-24-21, 09:58 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Sorg67
That is a good suggestion. However, I think I am going to apply it to my actual health insurance card, ID and credit card that I usually carry. The idea of the copies that live on the bike is to make sure I do not forget. I would have to remember to carry in jersey pocket.
See post #8 above.

Also, a first responder may not think (or have time) to look in something like a seat post bag, and that will likely not be making the ride to the hospital with you. Back on 11/13 (Friday the 13th) I lost consciousness on the sidewalk while walking errands during lunch. I was not identified until someone at the hospital went through my pants pockets and found my wallet. Imagine if it had been a bike accident and my ID, etc,, had been "on my bike."
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-24-21, 07:59 PM
Koyote

See post #8 above.

Also, a first responder may not think (or have time) to look in something like a seat post bag, and that will likely not be making the ride to the hospital with you. Back on 11/13 (Friday the 13th) I lost consciousness on the sidewalk while walking errands during lunch. I was not identified until someone at the hospital went through my pants pockets and found my wallet. Imagine if it had been a bike accident and my ID, etc,, had been "on my bike."
I've taken to wearing my RoadID pretty much everywhere, since I often don't carry a wallet. It's got my name, birthdate, wife's name and contact numbers, and notation indicating that I have no allergies.

I generally don't carry an insurance card while riding. If a person is injured or unconscious, they will be treated - with or without an insurance card. It's literally illegal for a hospital to deny treatment in an emergency.

Last edited by Koyote; 02-25-21 at 09:35 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-24-21, 08:13 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by HD3andMe
I had my bikes custom painted with my SSN, DL #, Visa #, mother's maiden name, preferred drink, and preferred way to grill a steak(medium rare).

I used to be incredibly frightened when I rode a bicycle, but now I can just focus on fun.
Now you're just being foolish.

You need to add the expiration date and three-digit security code for the Visa card, dummy.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-24-21, 08:42 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Koyote
I generally don't carry an insurance card while riding. If a person is injured or unconscious, they will be treated - with out without an insurance card. It's literally illegal for a hospital to deny treatment in an emergency.
But it can make things easier. In 2012 I crashed and had to be transported to a hospital out of state. I didn’t have my insurance card so I got billed directly. Turned out that the hospital’s administration system sucked so bad it took me several phone calls over a period of more than a month after I got bills until I reached someone to give them my insurance information.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-24-21, 08:42 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I print labels with allergies, blood type, and emergency contact inside my helmets. Tried Avery brand washable fabric labels on clothes but then I got lazy. They do seem to hold up to gentle wash cycle.

I like the idea of carrying my old ID. Finally a use for the one sitting on the dresser for the last five years.

Being allergic to latex (amongst other things), I need to get the medic alert tag, but I don’t like something around my neck or anything on my wrist other than a watch.
Old 02-24-21, 08:52 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
When I retired they forgot to take my Fed ID away from me. It doesn't have an expiration date so I carry it and a few bucks to buy me a coffee when I get too far from home base. All of it fits in my zip pocket. But I do like some of the other ideas put out here.
Old 02-24-21, 08:54 PM
Koyote

But it can make things easier. In 2012 I crashed and had to be transported to a hospital out of state. I didn’t have my insurance card so I got billed directly. Turned out that the hospital’s administration system sucked so bad it took me several phone calls over a period of more than a month after I got bills until I reached someone to give them my insurance information.
You should do your bike touring in Europe. My first wife had a medical emergency in Tuscany on a vacation. They checked her into hospital, quick surgical procedure, kept her overnight and did a couple tests, discharged her the next morning with a prescription. Even back then, it would've been $5k-$10k in the US, I imagine. When we checked out, the administrator told us, "Don't worry, it's on the Italian government!"
Old 02-24-21, 09:10 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Koyote
You should do your bike touring in Europe. My first wife had a medical emergency in Tuscany on a vacation. They checked her into hospital, quick surgical procedure, kept her overnight and did a couple tests, discharged her the next morning with a prescription. Even back then, it would've been $5k-$10k in the US, I imagine. When we checked out, the administrator told us, "Don't worry, it's on the Italian government!"
Wish I could right now. Once spent 7 weeks touring in Andalucia and have ridden in Italy two other times. In 2012 I was on a day ride in New Jersey. All bets are off when you do that.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-25-21, 08:38 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Wear your Road ID or whatever you have your vital info on as a bracelet or lanyard/necklace. The first responders will be looking for a pulse there first. If not on your person, stuff tends to get separated from the rider during an accident. On a somewhat related note, don't carry your keys with you on a ride either. They could get lost during the accident. Stash them outside your house/somewhere on your auto and let your emergency contact know where they are hidden. They can be easily retrieved while you are taking the ambulance ride. If you are on a group ride, you could have a designated keys jar/bucket that's kept at the start of the ride.

Last edited by seypat; 02-25-21 at 08:43 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 02-25-21, 08:52 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
I alternate between a small "sports" fanny or a compact backpack(longer rides) to carry essentials, cell, ID and $$.
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 02-25-21, 09:51 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
I don't see the advantage of having that stuff on the bike. A bike thief now gets your bike, DL and credit card while in an accident it complicates where people need to look for information (if they bother). If road riding I have a thick elastic band that I put around my cell phone to hold one CC and maybe DL (usually not). No cash any more. I resisted for a long time but now I tap everything.

Realistically, if I crash my wife will begin to wonder where I am in a few hours and call the cell. If it's minor, I'll answer. If it's major, someone probably has already scrolled through my contacts. My phone is unlocked.

In BC our Health Care Number can be added to the back of the license so you only need one card that way but you don't even need it for initial care. In fact, you can't "buy" better emergency care. They just fix everyone up regardless. Last week someone fell and broke a hip on our local mtb trail system. They rolled out fire rescue, ambulance and the sar team, no questions asked and no cost (maybe a service fee for ambulance [about $100] which can be waived if you are poor).

Last edited by Happy Feet; 02-25-21 at 09:56 AM.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 02-25-21, 11:10 AM
Sorg67

I like the points about keeping things on your person. I think I will adopt those practices. I also like the point about theft. I think I will just keep the copy of the health insurance card and cash on the bike. Thief cannot do much with insurance card. Willing to risk a bit of cash.

I like the idea of these things living on the bike as backup. I sometimes forget to bring things. Or I head out for a short ride and change my mind and decide to go on a long ride. Nice to know I always have lunch money.
Old 02-25-21, 09:03 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
I do not ride in bike shorts or shirts so all my "stuff" is in a bag on the bike or a small fanny bag. I do have a Road ID but here in Cambodia I wonder if anyone would recognize it.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 02-25-21, 09:11 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Have worn a dog tag ID on a neck chain for years. (Name, address, ICE/spouse name and cell phone number) My wallet is small and light and usually rides in a bag on my bike.
Old 02-26-21, 03:54 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Few years ago, I got all the pertinent information tattooed to my ass.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-26-21, 04:34 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I keep all that information in my bike wallet. I made a card which has my name, DOB, blood type, and emergency contact information and keep that in there. I also printed out an extra copy of my insurance card and put that in there, just in case. I also made a little sticker with the same info on my emergency card and stuck it on my helmet, just in case they don't find my wallet on my bike.
Likes For Milton Keynes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.