Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Tri Bike for Down Syndrome

Old 02-22-21, 05:35 AM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts
Tri Bike for Down Syndrome

I have a friend who became the first person with Down Syndrome to complete a full Ironman. He did it on a hybrid. He is not super stable on the bike. Needs help getting on the bike. Seat is lower than optimal. Uses platform pedals, no clips. He is not able to use the front derailleur.

He is now training for the Hawaii Ironman and his Dad is researching how to improve his bike efficiency. He is currently looking at the Trek Domane with the idea that he would change the handlebars to flat and change gearing to 1 x 11. He is thinking he would use 32 x 700 tires. I think this is a good choice. Anything in the endurance bike category seems like a good choice with these modifications. Specialized Roubaix would be a good choice too.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Ideas on geometry for a better aero position given the limitations on handlebars?
Old 02-24-21, 08:00 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorg67
I have a friend who became the first person with Down Syndrome to complete a full Ironman. He did it on a hybrid. He is not super stable on the bike. Needs help getting on the bike. Seat is lower than optimal. Uses platform pedals, no clips. He is not able to use the front derailleur.

He is now training for the Hawaii Ironman and his Dad is researching how to improve his bike efficiency. He is currently looking at the Trek Domane with the idea that he would change the handlebars to flat and change gearing to 1 x 11. He is thinking he would use 32 x 700 tires. I think this is a good choice. Anything in the endurance bike category seems like a good choice with these modifications. Specialized Roubaix would be a good choice too.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Ideas on geometry for a better aero position given the limitations on handlebars?
Sorg: Chris' accomplishment was awesome and I'm delighted to hear he is still chasing that extra 1%/day.

My 26 year old daughter also has Down syndrome. She is an accomplished alpine ski racer and cyclist, both racing and doing charity rides - her latest was 67 miles, which we did self supported last August.

On the direct issue, for a number of years she rode a junior size, drop bar Felt with 650c tires and interrupter brakes on the top bar, which fit her small hands. Her balance is pretty good, which I attribute to the competitive skiing, a decade of general fitness training, and more recently core intensive yoga with her mom.

Although she was safe on the Felt, it was twitchy on fast descents and the lever effort on the cable brakes (both hood and top bar) was less than optimal. She was able to shift both front and back, but not as easily as the flat bar mountain bike she started on. She was also one of only a handful of Special Olympics athletes racing in Colorado on a drop bar bike and one of only two with Down syndrome.

So we did a flat bar conversion on a Domane. We would have used a FX 6, which would have already been a flat bar, but there were none available in a XS at the time. When she's riding in the mountains or racing, we occasionally drop down to 28s, but the standard set-up for training and endurance rides are 32s. It is a stable, awesome and fast bike.

My daughter is pretty good at lowering her body and using a bent elbow approach in head winds and on fast descents, but at 4'9", the wind is not a huge deal as it may be for Chris over 112 miles.

Personally I think Chris (and for that matter many of the Special Olympics athletes I have coached) might benefit from technology similar to what I run on my Domane - see the "Stay Tuned" thread from last month on this forum. When you simplify the control functions, it allows riders to put their thoughts and eyes more on the road ahead and balance typically follows. It might even allow Chris and his coaches to play with the bars to lower them a bit or even run the flared drop bars that some are using on gravel bikes - wider so more stable, but lower too.

Just some thoughts. I'd be glad to respond to a PM. As for your friend, please let him know that those in the adaptive sports community view him as a true champion.
Likes For tigat:
Old 02-24-21, 10:50 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
For a flat bar conversion I don't know of a nicer shimano shifter for 11sp but I wouldn't have problems using this https://www.microshift.com/en/product/sl-r761-2/ if shimano equipped. Although I'm not big on 1x systems for a tri I can't imagine that a 1x system won't be more then adequate and probably easily available. The courses tend to be flatter and a 48 or 50 with an 11-30 should have plenty of speed and the ability to climb most things on a tri course. The shifter I listed is meant for shimano road, I'd buy a small riser bar, toss on the shifter and get a set of mtb levers to match the brakes.
Having the seat too low will be the biggest struggle to overcome, if its a comfort getting on and off issue it might be worthwhile trying a size smaller to make it easier to get on and off. More then anything proper saddle height over longer distances is a real comfort issue with the knees and too low can really slow things up.

No matter what, this sounds like an ambitious goal and Chris sounds like quite the accomplished rider. I wish him continued success and blessings on his endeavors.
Old 02-25-21, 11:16 AM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts
tigat Russ Roth

Thanks for the comments. I will pass them on to Chris's dad.

Chris lives just down the street from me. I ride with him regularly. He has added a lot to my life. Motivated me to up my game.

I like the 1 x 11 for him since he does not need a lot of top end. Flat cruising speed is under 20 mph. He limits himself to 25 mph or less on downhill since he has crashed a few times and wants to be cautious. But he needs more top end that the small front sprocket. I was thinking a 40 tooth front sprocket with an 11 - 42 rear cassette. We could play with the size of the front sprocket until we got the right range of gears.

Up until now, I think he has had too slow of a cadence and pushed too high of a gear. But I suspect his optimal cadence is slower. He uses platform pedals and has more of a quad pushing style rather than a spinning style.