Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Safety/Better than a bell

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-24-21, 11:29 PM
Dennis9156

Bikes: Giant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I came up with a great idea because I sick of cars doing the wrong thing and people too busy on their phones to get out of the way , So gave it some thought and came up with this.
I bought a JBL go3 portable bluetooth speaker and downloaded a car horn app and an air horn app linked them with my iphone and it is better than the real thing .
even though the speaker is small it has more than enough volume . I have allready tried it doing the bay cycle in leichhardt and used it a couple of times and it works really well even when the headphones are in there ears they can still hear it and move I think I gave a couple of people mini heart attacks when I used the air horn.
I suprised no one has come up with this before for such a simle idea . It might be a costly option ($59 from jb hi fi) but how much can you put on safety and works on any phone with bluetooth android or iphone
stay safe ,
Old 02-25-21, 01:37 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I don't have a bell on my road bike. I have one on my touring bike but if there's a pedestrian or a car on the way, I hit the brakes or avoid instead, none of which I could do while ringing a bell.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 02-25-21, 01:57 AM
Dennis9156

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I forgot to mention that I have a quad lock phone mount on the stem so easy to press

Originally Posted by Dennis9156
I came up with a great idea because I sick of cars doing the wrong thing and people too busy on their phones to get out of the way , So gave it some thought and came up with this.
I bought a JBL go3 portable bluetooth speaker and downloaded a car horn app and an air horn app linked them with my iphone and it is better than the real thing .
even though the speaker is small it has more than enough volume . I have allready tried it doing the bay cycle in leichhardt and used it a couple of times and it works really well even when the headphones are in there ears they can still hear it and move I think I gave a couple of people mini heart attacks when I used the air horn.
I suprised no one has come up with this before for such a simle idea . It might be a costly option ($59 from jb hi fi) but how much can you put on safety and works on any phone with bluetooth android or iphone
stay safe ,
I forgot to mention that I have a quad lock phone mount on the stem so easy to press cars think it is another car so take notice
Old 02-25-21, 02:13 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
I just use an Air Zounds, no batteries required and a shed load louder than any portable speaker. Quick pump up with a bike pump or any gas station pump and it's good to go.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 02-25-21, 05:04 AM
Dennis9156

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Minimal setup

I chose this as it reduces weight and space on the bike I have seen the airzounds I did not want to have a extra bottle and more tubing I know they are effective but even I was suprised at how much a little portable blue tooth speaker can put out went for size and output and did the research as there are so many on the market $59 + $3.99 total setup and roughly the same price.
Old 02-25-21, 08:10 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
This seems a bit more elegant, is cheaper, and adds a theft alarm feature

.https://www.juicedbikes.com/products...SABEgKiu_D_BwE
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-25-21, 11:36 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 543 Posts
If you have enough time to activate your horn, you have more than enough time to avoid whatever danger is posed by whoever you are honking at. If you're counting on someone hearing you to be safe, you are being foolish.
Old 02-25-21, 12:10 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
So you have to unlock your phone, wait for the horn app to open, then tap the horn button? How is that faster than depressing a bell ringer?
Likes For Elvo:
Old 02-25-21, 12:40 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
<$10 option is to zip tie an air horn can to your handlebars.
Old 02-25-21, 12:57 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
I love my JBL Go3. Love it.

I believe that headphones are unsafe while cycling on roads with others. I only cycle by myself (not by choice, cannot find others) so having music to keep me company is essential. Love my bluetooth setup.

That said, would it use it for emergency purposes? No way. It would be too slow to trigger a sound, and while it is loud, it is not that loud. For more sound, I would go for a JBL Flip 5 in a bottle holder, but once again, very slow to trigger a sound or even raise the volume. I do use in to alert others that I am coming, but only on one road where hikers are not expecting cyclists and when passing other cyclists since I tend to be faster.

"Upgraded" from an Anker Soundcore Mini. Better sound and volume, but it does cost more. I purchased mine for $30, which was the going price last year at every major retailer.
Old 02-25-21, 01:02 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I think the OP is merely looking for a reason to be obnoxious on the road.
I think I found the OP's Youtube channel:
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 02-25-21, 03:00 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I think I found the OP's Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn1vxwtWlRA
Man, that is some next-level dbaggery. I'd stoop to potentially being a Karen and call the cops, tail 'em and get some schadenfreude out of it.
Old 02-25-21, 03:13 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
A bell works well for me. But the purpose for me isn't to get people to move out of the way but to create awareness of my presence behind them. In general I avoid MUPs like the plague though.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider:
Old 02-26-21, 09:43 AM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
This seems a bit more elegant, is cheaper, and adds a theft alarm feature

.https://www.juicedbikes.com/products...SABEgKiu_D_BwE
Wow...that one is really nice. I will most likely get one of them or the bike as well because I'm in the market to get one for the wifey!
Old 02-26-21, 10:01 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I have a pretty loud voice, which I have found sufficient. It is also free and easy to use.
Old 03-01-21, 04:34 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
I don't have a bell on my road bike. I have one on my touring bike but if there's a pedestrian or a car on the way, I hit the brakes or avoid instead, none of which I could do while ringing a bell.
Get yourself a disc braked bike and kill two birds with one stone; disc squeal makes a bell superfluous.
Old 03-01-21, 07:36 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
If you have enough time to activate your horn, you have more than enough time to avoid whatever danger is posed by whoever you are honking at. If you're counting on someone hearing you to be safe, you are being foolish.
That's a no.

Not everywhere is such that you can just randomly "go around". If you come across a car on the road doing 5mph in a 35mph zone, are you going to sit behind them for miles? No, you're going to try the horn.

The horn isn't to be able to blow thru improperly, it's to expedite or avoid an otherwise awkward interaction that is delaying your forward progress.

If you want to have an awkward conversation with every path user out there who stops your progress, go ahead. We'll buy the bells and horns to let folks know they need to move.