Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bringin' home the groceries

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Bringin' home the groceries

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-16, 12:37 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I have 2 of these baskets and use my arsenal of reusable bags! Then when I get home I just grab the baskets. They hold a standard grocery bag.

https://www.amazon.com/Basil-Memories.../dp/B0030SZ0HC
Old 01-30-16, 10:33 AM
Arcanum

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dr. Dew, Moose Bicycle XXL (fat bike), Yuba Mundo V3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use Banjo Brothers Market Panniers. They're big and well built.
Market Pannier, Red | Banjo Brothers

They also have a black version. The only down side I've noticed is if they're empty or top heavy and the elastic strap on the back isn't tight enough, big bumps can pop them off the rack rails. I wish they had an Ortlieb attachment system.

If you want a trailer, want to save money, and are a do-it-yourselfer, Carry Freedom has plans for a "bamboo" bicycle trailer: Carry Freedom Website | 12. The Bamboo Trailer - Carry Freedom Website

I haven't built it, but you should be able to make one out of bamboo, PVC pipe, or other materials.
Old 05-17-16, 08:26 AM
elizwlsn

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp 2006, Diamondback Ascent Ex 1989

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are what I use and they are handy if you aren't doing mega shopping.

Grocery Bag Pannier
Old 05-22-16, 11:53 AM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
All you really need are bags. I find a strong front rack important as well, but you can get by without one.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Workcycle.jpg (98.4 KB, 576 views)
Old 05-22-16, 12:45 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
As far as grocery shopping. I do a lot with my backpack. My little camelback pack (without the bladder for now) is good for small things. I'll carry a mid sized pack for many of my trips. I'd prefer to just take it into stores. But some stores with a bag check policy, I'll either strip the valuables and lock it to the bike, or check it (with my helmet and helmet light).

Every time I pass by the grocery store, I ask myself if I need a few more quick supplies.

Then, big grocery runs are done with the Burley kid's trailer, usually filled up quite a bit.

Some loads go on my cargo bike rack, but truthfully I don't like riding it with 100 pounds of cargo. I'd rather pull a trailer. So, the cargo bike normally gets reserved for towing the big flatbed.
Old 05-22-16, 08:48 PM
Arcanum

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dr. Dew, Moose Bicycle XXL (fat bike), Yuba Mundo V3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just bought a couple of these: Alemany Bike Pannier - Best Bike Grocery Pannier | Timbuk2 Bags

They may just be the best grocery/utility panniers yet. They have simple but secure and adjustable attachment hardware (the panniers won't jump off the rails when you hit a bump), they're pretty well weatherproofed unlike most grocery panniers, and they are bigger than any other grocery panniers I've seen.

I also bought a Carry Freedom Y Large trailer for hauling bigger loads. Carry Freedom Website | 1. The Y large - Carry Freedom Website
If you're in the US and want a Carry Freedom trailer, I recommend buying from Chain Reaction Cycles, even though they're in Northern Ireland. They somehow managed to have the trailer at below MSRP, and ship it across the pond quickly for a mere $6.
Likes For Arcanum:
Old 05-30-16, 02:25 AM
ikaika777

Bikes: 2017 Giant Escape 2, 2013 Giant Escape 2, 1986 Bianchi Nuovo Alloro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Between my Topeak DXP trunk bag and my Chrome Bravo backpack that expands from 20L-40L, this is what I brought home from the grocery store last night:
Folgers coffee, French vanilla creamer, 2 jars Japanese Furikake, a bag of beef jerky, dried pepper flakes, 1 large bag of Soba noodles, 1 small bag of Soba noodles, 1 jar of Salsa, 3 cans of chili, 1 32oz. bottle of Tapatio hot sauce, 1 jar better than bullion, 2 pound block of cheddar cheese, 2 1.75 quarts of Tllamook ice cream, 1 pound of butter, a bag of peperoni, 1 pound of Italian sausage, 2 large frozen pizzas, 2 large fat Daikon radish roots, 1 stick of summer sausage, 1 bag of tortilla chips, 2 4 pound bags of frozen chicken thighs, and 1 bag six count Bolillo rolls, 2 garlic bulbs.
Old 06-02-16, 06:21 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I wanted to go to a MEC store (Mountain Equipment Co-op) in another city and get some 53 liters panniers that were $99.00 Canadian. This was a few years ago and my niece was going to drive me there in early March. Instead we went at the end of March that year and I really lucked out over the delay. I ended up getting the pair of 53 liter panniers, a good rear rack and Blackburn-like low-rider front racks for About $80.00 Canadian because those panniers were 50% off.

If I was going to have a pure grocery getter then I'd consider those folding wire baskets for my rear rack. They are convenient bot here there's a nickle-a-bag fee fpr shopping bags. It's a scam disguised as enviromentally friendly. Thus I prefer the panniersfor shopping. I take them in with me and fill them at the checkout.

Cheers
Old 06-11-16, 03:49 PM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
The red bag with the carrier is very handy and is normally pulled by my wife. It's an Andersen Royal Shopper Plus with the Shopper bag.

Weekly shopping run with case of water (sometimes beer), groceries in bags and if I take my other bike, ortlieb back rollers. The trailer weighs about 6 lbs, so it's very easy to pull it when empty.

Last edited by Scummer; 06-11-16 at 03:58 PM.
Likes For Scummer:
Old 06-11-16, 05:44 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
heh what's with the BRKAWY license plate? Just for fun? I know the movie reference obviously but surely a bike trailer isn't required to have a plate where you live, is it?

n/m just saw it's Indiana and you're in Germany, duhh
Old 06-12-16, 12:27 PM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
heh what's with the BRKAWY license plate? Just for fun? I know the movie reference obviously but surely a bike trailer isn't required to have a plate where you live, is it?

n/m just saw it's Indiana and you're in Germany, duhh
That was my actual license plate on my Minivan when I lived in Northwest Indiana before I decided to move back to Germany. My other license plate from my Accord (the car I took with me to Germany)

Attached Images
Old 06-15-16, 03:15 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What I'd like is a folding basket for the top of the rack that is easy on/off, and capable of being secure when only attached at the very front and back, since I usually use cheap one-piece panniers and take them off at home and at work. They barely have room for a 2L soda on each side if I'm not already carrying anything bulky, which I usually am. (Work clothes, lunch, etc.) No chance of stuffing a bulk pack of TP in there.

FWIW, these are the ones I'm currently using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Would not recommend them; first set, a zipper failed after less than two weeks, and the current set (warranty replacement for the first) have a hole where the bare metal hooks have dug through the back of one side after less than three months, and the poorly assembled shock cord that the hooks are on has also failed on one side. (Goes into a crimped ferrule, broke right at the end of the ferrule.

Previously, I used these: M-Wave Amsterdam Double Bicycle Pannier Bag, Black/Grey - Bags & Panniers
Great size, and mostly good quality, (a buckle broke after ~2 years of heavy use) but a real PITA to get on and off, since their idea of "quick release" is a squeeze-buckled strap around the rack stays on each side.
Old 06-21-16, 06:15 PM
Trek75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have a bike you can dedicate to utility duty, I'm a big fan of the old-school Wald folding baskets. Just leave them on the bike and they're always there if you need them; for example if you're out riding around and think "gee, why don't I pick up a loaf of bread on the way home?", no problem.
If panniers are a better fit for the task at hand, I've always been able to clip them over the folded baskets.
Rattling has never been a problem for me, but when I installed the racks I made sure to dog everything down tightly, and any noise could be addressed by judicious application of padding - bits of old inner tubes come in handy for that purpose. You can get a surprising amount of stuff in the baskets and also on the rack - just remember that bungee cords are your friend.
If necessary we have additional front baskets - they're the kind that come with an easily installed/removed bracket, and you can take the basket into the store with you (I think it's another Wald product). If we're heading out on a serious cargo mission, we put front baskets on both bikes, and the folders are already there on the rear racks. Make sure we have plenty of bungees and we're good to go.
Old 07-17-16, 08:47 PM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Bikes: Trek 7.4, Gitane Super Corsa '71, Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, Charrel '78, Tommasini Diamante, Trek Verve+

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ikaika777
I use the Topeak trunk bag, the DXP which is the largest one they make. It has fold out panniers. I use that and my Chrome Bravo backpack, which goes from 20L to 40L. Between that and the trunk bag all my groceries are a done deal. And yes, the trunk bag has a removable shoulder strap so you can take it with in the store. You need Topeak rack to use the bag. It slides in and out on the rack using a rail and locks and unlocks the bag. Check it out on Amazon.

Robot Check

The Topeak rack,

Robot Check

Yup. these work for me too. I like that I can take rack on/off easily. Max grocery load to date for me is ~ 35lbs.
Old 07-18-16, 02:26 AM
ikaika777

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LouB
Yup. these work for me too. I like that I can take rack on/off easily. Max grocery load to date for me is ~ 35lbs.
35 pounds is pretty much what I carry in kitty litter alone. That's not counting the rest of the groceries.
Old 07-18-16, 02:35 AM
ikaika777

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LouB
Do you think the Topeak rack and trunk bag could be used for the front of the bike? Because if it can I wouldn't need to take my backpack I would just buy another system.
Old 07-18-16, 08:06 AM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Bikes: Trek 7.4, Gitane Super Corsa '71, Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, Charrel '78, Tommasini Diamante, Trek Verve+

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Do you think the Topeak rack and trunk bag could be used for the front of the bike? Because if it can I wouldn't need to take my backpack I would just buy another system.
They make all kinds of modular carriers. Mine slides onto the rear rack. I've never been a fan of a back pack. Prefer the weight to be carried low--but thats just me.
Old 07-18-16, 08:10 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Topeak makes a front basket with its own style of quick release + handlebar bracket. I doubt there's any way a rear rack and trunk bag would work on the front, not without some serious custom work anyway.
Old 04-28-17, 10:16 PM
mestizoracer310

Bikes: 2009 SE Draft SS, 2001 Trek 1000 Alpha roadie, 1991 Diamondback mtb & 1976 KHS Gran Sport mixte

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen several youtube instructions on how take a normal bag and convert to use as panniers... I also am debating on using my sister's old instep trailer for cargo. it's just missing the arm and the hitch. Hitch I can get on amazon, but having a hard time finding the actual tow bar. guess i'm stuck having to go to instep directly. the fabric is shot, so i'll just use the frame and maybe mount a plastic bin or a steel cage (like a shopping cart). Then just "throw in" my reusable grocery bags or whatever else i'm carring. also want to find a way of hooking up my kid's bike if she grows tired from riding. I currently use a Trail Gator tow bar attachment.... but next step up for her is a 24" wheel and i'm sure that it can't handle those.
Old 05-04-17, 01:02 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
FWIW, these are the ones I'm currently using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Would not recommend them; first set, a zipper failed after less than two weeks, and the current set (warranty replacement for the first) have a hole where the bare metal hooks have dug through the back of one side after less than three months, and the poorly assembled shock cord that the hooks are on has also failed on one side. (Goes into a crimped ferrule, broke right at the end of the ferrule.
FWIW, replaced those with Axiom Seymour DLX 20s and they're tons better; drawstring and flap, so no zipper to break, and even in the 20L pair (10L per side, really intended as front panniers) I can fit two 3L bottles per side. If I were shopping for more than just myself, or carrying more to and from work, I'd want the 40+L size, but these are fast on and off, hold enough for daily commute/utility and seem to be a solid design for the $46 price I ended up paying.

The BVs, OTOH, twice lost shock cord into the spokes from it coming apart, once breaking a spoke on an almost-new wheel. New spoke and re-true at the bike shop would have cost $20, so I decided it was time to spend more and get something better.
Old 05-08-17, 03:03 PM
PatrickGSR94

Shot of my cargo trailer last weekend, loaded up with stuff. InStep trailer with no fabric, storage box attached to plywood, plywood held to trailer frame with clevis pins and cotter pin clips for tool-free installation and storage.

Last edited by PatrickGSR94; 05-08-17 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-08-17, 07:19 PM
sarahbruce

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Saturday shopping trip!
Bruce
Old 05-08-17, 07:51 PM
PatrickGSR94

Oh wow, I would be nervous about the plastic bags breaking en route.
Old 05-09-17, 09:56 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I figured, what the heck, since I have a cargo bike I might as well go big.

90L De Poort newspaper bags from Holland with some extra straps added.
Attached Images
IMG_2821.jpg (97.5 KB, 195 views)
IMG_2819.jpg (97.4 KB, 191 views)
IMG_2823.jpg (95.9 KB, 188 views)
IMG_2822.jpg (97.5 KB, 190 views)
IMG_2815.jpg (97.7 KB, 188 views)
IMG_2810.jpg (98.0 KB, 190 views)
IMG_2811.jpg (99.2 KB, 191 views)
Old 05-10-17, 10:54 AM
PatrickGSR94

@kickstart what handlebars are those? Looks like they have more rise than my FSA Metropolis bars on my utility bike, which might suit me better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.