Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tyrell CSI build

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Tyrell CSI build

Old 05-03-18, 03:57 AM
kidshibuya

Bikes: Tyrell CSI, Dahon Mu LT11, Doppelganger Aurora 219

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tyrell CSI build

I am putting together a custom Tryell CSI minivelo with a 1x drivetrain and flatbars. The goal is light weight and a nice visual style. This is what I have settled on (with weights):

Frame: Tyrell CSI 2150
Brakes: SRAM RED 270
Wheels: KITT Carbon 1300
Stem: Helium6 100mm 90
Handlebar: Controltech COMP MT 28CB Carbon 130
Steat post: KCNC Ti Pro Scandium 167
Seat: Selle Italia SLR SUPERFLOW S 185
Crankset: Rotor 3D+ aldhu/ arms 356g, spider 50g, axle 96g and bolts (500g total)
Chainring: Rotor QX1 52T 141
Cassette: Dura Ace CS-9000 Cassette 11-speed 11-25 T 166
Chain: Dura-Ace CN-HG901-11 Chain 11-speed - with Quick Link 247
Brake levers: Veno CNC caliper 78 12800
Derailleur: Shimano Dura Ace RD-R9100 Rear Derailleur SS 158
Skewers: Ridea 44
Steat Clamp: Ridea 30
Grips: Ergon GS3 Carbon 220
Shifter: Shimano SL-RS700 128
Tyres: Schwllbe one 451 350
Tubes: Panaracer r'air 150
BB: ROTOR BSA ROAD steel 90
Pedals: Rockbors Ti 165
Bell: Oi bell 18
LIght: Volt200 74

Total in Grams 6851

This is the first time I have put together a custom bike rather than just buying something off the shelf. Its fun but also super annoying. I made the mistake of involving a local bike shop. There is a reason why these shops are dying, should have just got everything off the internet and built it all myself. My frame and wheels have been sitting in the shop fully paid for over a month now, 42 emails since then and the latest update is that they will order the rest of my parts next week, then after they arrive they will start the build at some point in time after that. Why they cant order parts yet is anyone's guess... In the meantime I have bought and had delivered all the bits they say said they could not get, like the cranks and handlebars. took 4 days.

The parts come in at about 6.8kg, thinking it will be about 7kg with cables and stuff. I could still shave off weight by using lighter alloy wheels rather than carbon, using ultra light brakes etc, but while the goal is weight its not the only goal, compromises where made. The price is just nuts, I don't want to think about it.

Ill put up some pics when its done... in 2020 at this rate.

Last edited by kidshibuya; 05-03-18 at 04:02 AM.
Old 05-03-18, 04:10 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by kidshibuya
I am putting together a custom Tryell CSI minivelo with a 1x drivetrain and flatbars. The goal is light weight and a nice visual style. This is what I have settled on (with weights):

Crankset: Rotor 3D+ aldhu/ arms 356g, spider 50g, axle 96g and bolts (500g total)

Total in Grams 6851

This is the first time I have put together a custom bike rather than just buying something off the shelf. Its fun but also super annoying. I made the mistake of involving a local bike shop. There is a reason why these shops are dying, should have just got everything off the internet and built it all myself. My frame and wheels have been sitting in the shop fully paid for over a month now, 42 emails since then and the latest update is that they will order the rest of my parts next week, then after they arrive they will start the build at some point in time after that. Why they cant order parts yet is anyone's guess... In the meantime I have bought and had delivered all the bits they say said they could not get, like the cranks and handlebars. took 4 days.

The parts come in at about 6.8kg, thinking it will be about 7kg with cables and stuff. I could still shave off weight by using lighter alloy wheels rather than carbon, using ultra light brakes etc, but while the goal is weight its not the only goal, compromises where made. The price is just nuts, I don't want to think about it.

wow, kid...i would have taken back all my stuff from the shop, and found another one.
Old 05-03-18, 05:53 AM
kidshibuya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
wow, kid...i would have taken back all my stuff from the shop, and found another one.
Yeah that has been on my mind. Thing is that I am in Japan and dont speak much Japanese. The bike shop I am dealing with has one person who is fluent in English. Other bike shops I have been to here I cant get service in, I either just get ignored or a few weeks ago a guy told me that their shop doesn't service bikes while he was in the service area servicing a bike... ;( At this stage while its slow going (and their parts are expensive), I believe the job will get done, just will take months longer than it should. Finding somewhere else is a complete unknown again, oh, and I'd also have no way of carrying my frame back from the shop, need to ride it out lol as I dont have a car nor license here.
Old 05-03-18, 05:04 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts

Total in Grams 6851

Wow! Sounds like quite a build.

I am keen to see the results.

Too bad about the rate of progress for the build.
Old 05-03-18, 05:24 PM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Total in Grams 6851

When you finally enjoy what you really
want, the pain of the price will fade.
Old 05-18-18, 07:31 AM
kidshibuya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finally just rode it home:

Will post some pics and impressions later, but from my 14km ride home I am quite happy with my build. It came in at around 6.9KG, will be under 7.1KG with lights and bell. Still got to get used to the riding position, might increase the stem length from 100mm to.. dunno. I was worried that going from wheels less than 1kg on my old dahon to larger 1.3kg wheels that it might feel sluggish, but no worries, it flies, still quick off the marks and passed several full roadies on my ride. Now just got to figure out how to buy insurance for it in Japan where I struggle with Japanese...

Oh and carbon rims... yeah its true what they say about the braking. Even with SRAM RED brakes its nowhere near as good as on my dahon with TRP brakes. But meh, its still good enough. Still got a little lecture from the guy at the bike shop for doing a skid, "they are special tyres, dont do skids"...

Last edited by kidshibuya; 05-18-18 at 09:43 AM. Reason: some more pics
Old 05-31-18, 11:20 AM
kidshibuya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The bike shop has featured the bike on there site:
Tyrell CSI | **********?? Trispork & Rotorcrank | velostyle TICKET

Happy with the job they did in the end. I think a lot of the delay was simple communication difficulty, things got moving in the end when I think I managed to convey want I wanted better. Would have no issues using them again.

I have put over 300km on the bike now, really happy with it. Though riding in the wet is an adventure, using carbon rim brakes in the wet is just a gentle suggestion to the bike that it should slow when it can if its no bother. And I might want a larger tooth cassette, maybe a 11-30 tooth would be ideal up from the current 11-25. But then Ill need to shave weight off to pay for that, which I am already doing with some tune skewers (more of a theft deterrent really) and a carbon stem cap, only about 20 grams saved lol. After that I might get some titanium bolts... Then I think I am stuck, nothing to upgrade.
Old 05-31-18, 04:21 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

The bike shop has featured the bike on there site:
Tyrell CSI **********?? Trispork & Rotorcrank velostyle TICKET

Happy with the job they did in the end. I think a lot of the delay was simple communication difficulty, things got moving in the end when I think I managed to convey want I wanted better. Would have no issues using them again.

I have put over 300km on the bike now, really happy with it. Though riding in the wet is an adventure, using carbon rim brakes in the wet is just a gentle suggestion to the bike that it should slow when it can if its no bother. And I might want a larger tooth cassette, maybe a 11-30 tooth would be ideal up from the current 11-25. But then Ill need to shave weight off to pay for that, which I am already doing with some tune skewers (more of a theft deterrent really) and a carbon stem cap, only about 20 grams saved lol. After that I might get some titanium bolts... Then I think I am stuck, nothing to upgrade.
looking good, kid. I've been a fan of that website/shop for a while. I like the E.B.S. minivelos they sell.
Old 06-01-18, 07:04 AM
kidshibuya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
looking good, kid. I've been a fan of that website/shop for a while. I like the E.B.S. minivelos they sell.
I never used to like those types of bikes, that standard triangle and thin tubes. But I must admit the EBS Float R 451 is a nice bike, and much cheaper than I thought a bike made in Kyoto would be. I get the appeal of it, no tricks, no frills, just simple and well crafted. If you ever get one I want to see a build thread on here

And my Tryell is officially "super nice" haha (27mins in)
Old 06-01-18, 07:20 AM
Abu Mahendra

Kid, just look at these E.B.S. jobs. Sick, sick stuff...

I never used to like those types of bikes, that standard triangle and thin tubes. But I must admit the EBS Float R 451 is a nice bike, and much cheaper than I thought a bike made in Kyoto would be. I get the appeal of it, no tricks, no frills, just simple and well crafted. If you ever get one I want to see a build thread on here

And my Tryell is officially "super nice" haha (27mins in)
https://youtu.be/bKQhPw7Gs3o?t=1627

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 06-01-18 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-01-18, 07:58 AM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Super nice indeed, good job. THM SE cranks and brakes will lower the weight and wallet substantially BTW.
Old 11-03-18, 07:11 AM
kidshibuya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have completed another minor round of upgrades/mods since buying this bike:

Frame: Tyrell CSI 2150g

Stem: Helium6 100mm 90g
Stem Cap: Carbon.Ti

Handlebar: Controltech COMP MT 28CB Carbon 130g
Brakes: SRAM RED 270g
Chainring: Rotor QX1 52T 141g
Chainring: Rotor Direct Mount 1x 54T 165g

Wheels: KITT Carbon 1300g
Skewers: Ridea 44g
Skewers: Tune Skyline 18g

Steat post: KCNC Ti Pro Scandium 167g
Seat: Selle Italia SLR SUPERFLOW S 185g
Seat: Tune Komm-Vor + 91g

Cassette: Dura Ace CS-9000 Cassette 11-speed 11-25 T 166g
Chain: Dura-Ace CN-HG901-11 Chain 11-speed - with Quick Link 247g
Brake levers: Veno CNC caliper 78g
Derailleur: Shimano Dura Ace RD-R9100 Rear Derailleur SS 158g
Seat Clamp: Ridea 30g
Seat Clamp: Tune Schraubwürger 12g

Grips: Ergon GS3 Carbon 220g
Shifter: Shimano SL-RS700 128g
Tyres: Schwllbe one 451 350g
Tubes: Panaracer r'air 150g
BB: ROTOR BSA ROAD steel 90g
Pedals: Rockbors Ti 165g
Pedals: KCNC Slim Road Kyrex 120g

Bell: Oi bell 18g
LIght: Volt200 74g

Total in Grams 6851
Total in Grams 6725 *UCI illegal achievement unlocked

Nice round of upgrades, the extra two teeth on the chain ring make a nice difference with the added bonus of solving a problem I was blaming on my pedals. There was play in the drive train under power, thought for sure it was the pedals as the cranks generally had no play and seemed quite solid. But change out the chain ring and spider and the drive train is rock solid, zero play. Also never thought Id go a carbon saddle but after reading reviews on how comfortable they actually can be I give it a shot. To my surprise it is indeed comfortable.

Now just waiting for Rotor to release their hydrolic 1x groupset so I can convert to drop bars.

Originally Posted by ttakata73
Super nice indeed, good job. THM SE cranks and brakes will lower the weight and wallet substantially BTW.
No one component can be more expensive than the frame

Last edited by kidshibuya; 11-03-18 at 08:09 AM.
Likes For kidshibuya:
Old 02-20-21, 06:45 AM
tuleggi

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Nice round of upgrades, the extra two teeth on the chain ring make a nice difference with the added bonus of solving a problem I was blaming on my pedals. There was play in the drive train under power, thought for sure it was the pedals as the cranks generally had no play and seemed quite solid. But change out the chain ring and spider and the drive train is rock solid, zero play. Also never thought Id go a carbon saddle but after reading reviews on how comfortable they actually can be I give it a shot. To my surprise it is indeed comfortable.
Hello, in term of comfort is it better than the selle italia? I also have it, but I do not find it very comfortable, see here my build (still progressing, soon new pictures): https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...pin-5-0-a.html
Old 02-20-21, 10:15 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
I also use full carbon addle on all my bikes, AX Lightness Leaf and AX Lightness Phoenix, both are very comfortable.

The Leaf fit for all types of bikes (I have it on a Moulton, Brompton, Birdy and Hase Pino tandem), the Phoenix is for race road bike with a drop bar. (I have it on my second Moulton and Passoni Top Force).

I have always been interested by the Tyrell bikes, especially the folding FX, FX and the fabulous XF. But they are almost impossible to find in Europe (Boxbike is the only importer but has few bikes, mainly the Ive).

The 85kg max load is also a problem, it is OK for me alone but it means that I could only carry few things on the bike.

Last edited by Jipe; 02-20-21 at 10:24 AM.