Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does my bike really make me a black sheep of the community?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does my bike really make me a black sheep of the community?

Old 08-28-18, 06:52 PM
gtd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
If I ever get so anally retentive and persnickety that I'm inspecting the washers on people's bikes to make sure they match, I hope someone puts me out of my misery.
I -- briefly -- shopped for better-fitting touring bike frames on Craigs List, then remembered that my bike was given to me by my wife's father as a gift on her birthday!!!!! He passed at 91 last year.

I'll keep the bike and keep tweaking it into various levels of discomfort, and dare anyone to criticize it. :-) I'm thinking of a Brooks saddle at the moment.

gtd
Old 08-28-18, 06:59 PM
gtd

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
"I did a 6km ride last night which is probably pitiful for most people here, . . . ."

Perish the thought. I sometimes ride circles in my driveway for fun, or through the back yard (road bike) just because. The other day I rode a whole 1.7 miles and actually logged it because . . . well, because.

Just ride and have fun! 60 feet, 100 miles, 1,000 miles it doesn't matter. Just have fun and keep riding. You're already doing just fine.
Old 08-28-18, 10:28 PM
Labtech200

Bikes: Supercycle Reaction 700c Hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again for the kind words guys. And yeah, I think that I've come to the conclusion that if I want to ride with a group and they aren't interested simply because of my choice of bike, I probably wouldn't be missing out on much anyhow.

Also, I totally get that my experience at BW SJ was completely interpretation and is likely very skewed, I'm pretty socially awkward irl so that's part of why I wanted to sanity check my experiences with you guys here on the forums. I appreciate your patience and understanding.
Old 08-28-18, 10:34 PM
Labtech200

Bikes: Supercycle Reaction 700c Hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, also, a few people have said that people tend to usually not fixate on others' bikes and size them up. I got thinking about that, and I guess I sort of assumed that based on my limited exposure to a few cycling enthusiasts at work and also based on how a lot of people act when it comes to building and showing off their
​​​gaming computers for example (I happen to enjoy PC building quite a bit), a lot of people buy flashy stuff just for the bragging rights. Im still really surprised to see how different people seem to treat this sport / hobby versus how a lot of people appear to treat PC building and gaming rigs. Seems like a significantly less 'toxic' community overall (in my own experience of course)
Old 08-28-18, 11:21 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Well.. many people do buy expensive bikes just so they can look good, seeking whatever the trend is at the moment to possess the right bling. And some do look down on others because they think the possession represents the person. The cycling world is very much like any other segment of society in that way. But there are also a lot of people who really know the true value of cycling which is the freedom of moving from A-B with little complication or cost, a sense of moving through a landscape while hearing, feeling and smelling it. The reward of well earned sweat and fatigue, the joy of working on and operating simple but elegant machines. The ability to slip between the cracks of urban congestion ... Those are the people to stick with, wherever you find them or whatever genre they inhabit. Often those cyclists can be socially awkward too so you have to give them some time to open up and what we might perceive as arrogance or standoffishness may just be shyness or lack of social finesse.

That's the dad in me speaking I guess. As I get older I find myself giving the world a break more often for not being exactly as I think it ought to be all the time.

Here's a good example of jumping to conclusions:

A while ago I posted in the long distance forum that I had just done a 200km ride, not as part of an official course or event but as my own personal goal. Another person replied that it sounded like I was Just Riding Around.
Just Riding Around! I replied. Well maybe you are some kind of hot shot but I thought it was pretty good etc... Turns out JRA is a term long distance riders use to describe training rides that are not part of sanctioned events. Fortunately I was quick to realize and apologize for jumping to conclusions and the thread ended with all being friendly ha ha! but I could have built a pretty good resentment out of it and left that forum as a bunch of elitist snobs.

Ps. The whole "group" ride thing is over rated IMO. You don't need a group to just ride around

Last edited by Happy Feet; 08-28-18 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-29-18, 01:00 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
BITD, I enjoyed passing folks on my Schwinn Varsity-

a kind of reverse status thing I guess.
Old 08-29-18, 10:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
BITD, I enjoyed passing folks on my Schwinn Varsity-

a kind of reverse status thing I guess.

I rode around for about a month on a 50 pound Walmart "Huffy" cruiser last year, and there was nothing funnier than watching people's faces as I passed them on their fancy road bikes. One time, I had to shout "on your left" about 4 times because dad kept telling his teenage son not to bother clearing the left lane because they had passed me before when we were accelerating after a stop sign and there was no way I was going to pass them. I finally forced the issue, and the kid said to his dad "he's going faster than me, just barely, but still...." They never caught up again. It was clear, BTW, that dad was the slower of the two. I'm pretty sure I ruined his day.
Old 08-29-18, 12:11 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My first legit road bike was a japanese 80s road bike i got for free from the community bike shop . i found a giant hybrid for free . i bought a giant road bike for 60 bucks and a really nice felt for 300 . point is you dont need a bike shop bike to have a great bike . you need a great bike and the understaning to optimize it for your needs usually without spending too much .i most likely will never buy from a bike shop their selection sucks . just go on ebay or cl and find a legit deal .
Old 08-29-18, 01:50 PM
janthenat

Bikes: 1995 GT Tequesta, 20?? Miele Toscana 300

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
just ride. save up and buy what you want. I'm riding a mountain bike from the 90's on the road and it does fine
Let's hear it for mountain bikes from the 90's on the road! The low-end 1995 GT mountain bike that I've been riding (and wrenching) on the road for the past 23 has not stopped me from being 'part of the community' (whatever that is ;^). I've been too frugal (read cheap) to buy myself anything else, so I ride what I have and it makes me happy.

Ride what you have and be happy.
Old 08-29-18, 03:20 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by gtd
"I did a 6km ride last night which is probably pitiful for most people here, . . . ."

Perish the thought. I sometimes ride circles in my driveway for fun, or through the back yard (road bike) just because. The other day I rode a whole 1.7 miles and actually logged it because . . . well, because.

Just ride and have fun! 60 feet, 100 miles, 1,000 miles it doesn't matter. Just have fun and keep riding. You're already doing just fine.
I ride a mile & a half every evening just to lock up a business, but I log it just so I can see what my accumulated mileage is through the year. I call that my "commute" since otherwise I'd be burning gasoline if I didn't ride my bike.
Old 08-29-18, 04:10 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts

Originally Posted by janthenat
Let's hear it for mountain bikes from the 90's on the road! The low-end 1995 GT mountain bike that I've been riding (and wrenching) on the road for the past 23 has not stopped me from being 'part of the community' (whatever that is ;^). I've been too frugal (read cheap) to buy myself anything else, so I ride what I have and it makes me happy.

Ride what you have and be happy.
I really like mine! Albatross bars, road tires, fenders because I like them. Under a hundred bucks in the redo. And it makes me *want* to ride places!
Old 08-29-18, 07:43 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Great responses in this thread.
Like most others, ride the bike you have.
But this thread is near and dear to me. My main rode bike is the epitome of budget performance. I went against the entire grain on this bike.
It started out as a Dick's Sporting Goods Nishiki Maricopa. A decent 3x8 budget bike that was recently on sale for $299.
And going completly against the grain and the advice of others, I stripped this bike and bought all new components. And the components? Best of the budget stuff only. Origin8 brakes, crankset, and BB. Microshift Arsis groupset and cassette. Nashbar carbon fork. Chinese carbon seatposts, stems, and handlebars. And Vuelta wheels.
The only thing people would think is decent is my tires, Conti GPs.

The thing is...I don't care. It's 18lbs, costs about $1k all together, and rides like a dream. Keeps up with the A guys, and fits my small size like a glove. It's taken me over 4 years to replace everything, and I'm happy with it.

Like others said, ride with what you have now. Get comfortable riding it, and then maybe borrows a friends bike to compare. If you find another bike to be better, then make your purchase. But always, keep riding!
Old 08-29-18, 08:16 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Feitsbot is a random Markov chain word generator with a few programming errors, and it only takes thread titles as input, so its signal-to-noise ratio tends to be quite low.
My god! Now I understand...
Old 08-29-18, 08:47 PM
ScottD961
Zeke

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Gran Prix,1984 DeBernardi Olympic, 1988 Schwinn Caliente

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Go out there and ride whatever you have. Don't worry about the other cyclists. Some will accept you, some will not. Frankly, it doesn't matter.
Get on your bike and ride. Talk to people. Learn from some, ignore the others, discard the useless.
Learn to maintain your own bike and start using craigslist and other used parts outlets. Go to your LBS and look at what they have on the bargain bins and buy what you can use.
Start riding, less worrying.
What this guy said , 100%!
Old 08-30-18, 03:28 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
There is actually a set of rules, the Velominati rules, which explains this---if your bike isn't worth more than your car, you are not fit to ride with the rest of us Seeeeerious Cyclists ... so just stay home and don't embarrass yourself and the rest of us.

Some people here seem to take these rules Quite seriously.

(I got around this by buying a Matchbox car for $2.)
Old 09-02-18, 07:44 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
i got around it by selling my car in 2008.
Old 09-02-18, 10:31 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I've long never given a stuff what category people wanna pigeonhole my tools and toys in.

My last car was a highly modified 30yo hot hatchback, it was frowned upon by most people yet was faster than most.

My current bike is equally odd, it has huge chrome fenders, cruiser tyres etc but is heavily electric powered, and is a child-back tandem to boot. But hey, it doesnt have a kickstand, so i guess i'm good.
Old 09-10-18, 02:02 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
You scratch it up laying it down or against a building?
Old 09-10-18, 06:37 AM
gate28

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We get older. Frames don't.
Old 09-10-18, 12:23 PM
jwacky

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the same situation as the OP and consider myself part of the community. I bought a department store Diamondback hybrid off a co-worker for $50 because he doesn't ride it. The thing is a couple years old but looks brand new. I, too, felt a tad "bike shamed" when taking it to a Performance Bike shop for a safety check and tune-up. "It's way too big for you!" (maybe a little, but I also suspect height alone is not a good way to measure for fit). Can you inspect it please? "Why put money in a bike that doesn't fit?" Well... the $25 seems like a small investment to see how much I'll like it. And on and on it went.

I know myself - I'm impulsive and jump in the deep end with every new/passing hobby. I do not know how often I'll ride, where I'll ride, etc. I'll do things "right" when I'm ready to commit. For now, I'm content to wave to every single other biker out there as they pass me by.
Old 09-10-18, 12:31 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by jwacky
I'm in the same situation as the OP and consider myself part of the community. I bought a department store Diamondback hybrid off a co-worker for $50 because he doesn't ride it. The thing is a couple years old but looks brand new. I, too, felt a tad "bike shamed" when taking it to a Performance Bike shop for a safety check and tune-up. "It's way too big for you!" (maybe a little, but I also suspect height alone is not a good way to measure for fit). Can you inspect it please? "Why put money in a bike that doesn't fit?" Well... the $25 seems like a small investment to see how much I'll like it. And on and on it went.

I know myself - I'm impulsive and jump in the deep end with every new/passing hobby. I do not know how often I'll ride, where I'll ride, etc. I'll do things "right" when I'm ready to commit. For now, I'm content to wave to every single other biker out there as they pass me by.

Welcome! Sounds quite sensible. If you do decide to upgrade later, your experience will help inform you what you are looking for. But if it's too big for you to feel like you're in control, that might be somewhat misleading. I'd only be concerned that nervousness with this bike might discourage you from getting in deeper.

Have you ridden it more than a couple miles yet? How's it going?
Old 09-10-18, 12:38 PM
jwacky

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Welcome! Sounds quite sensible. If you do decide to upgrade later, your experience will help inform you what you are looking for. But if it's too big for you to feel like you're in control, that might be somewhat misleading. I'd only be concerned that nervousness with this bike might discourage you from getting in deeper.

Have you ridden it more than a couple miles yet? How's it going?
I've taken it out twice in the two weeks I've had it; once basically in the neighborhood for about 5 miles roundtrip, and second, longer ride on a bike path (approx. 22 miles). Both went well. Tiring, and slow, but fun. I guess I sorta expected to hop on and ride as fast as everyone else. Was I ever mistaken! Earned a new respect for everyone I see on the roads, that's for sure. But I never felt like I wasn't in control of the bike. I figure I'll give it a good 500-1,000 miles to see what sort of riding patterns develop. I may want another hybrid type, I may want a dedicated road bike. Who knows?! I don't even know what all the paths around me look like. I'd rather ride the "wrong" bike for a little while at first before committing to a "right" bike that may not end up fitting what I want.
Old 09-10-18, 04:44 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but one potential reason people may not you to ride your flat bar road bike in their group is because it has flat bars. Flat bars tend to be wider and theoretically easier to get entangled in other people's arms (could be wrong). With drop bars, you can bump elbows and shoulders without issues. Also, your descending capability could be reduced (due to aero, handling and braking reasons) so some may be uncomfortable doing high speed descents with you in the group. If you're not riding shoulder to shoulder and the descents are tame, then it should be fine.

That being said, I've never ever encountered even a hint of elitism ever. Except from bike shops who have an interest in shaming you into spending more.
I've ridden in groups with $13,000 bikes that also had $200 bikes in them. People will ooh and aah if you pull up on an expensive bike, but they're far more likely to respect you if you keep up on your crappy 1970's 10 speed. So, if anything, it's the other way around. Buying an expensive bike puts you on a slightly lower rung because you're buying speed rather than putting in effort. Not that anyone really cares either way. People are just out to have fun.

​​​​​
Old 09-10-18, 06:45 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Snobs with more money than sense get some sort of perverse pleasure looking down on other peoples bikes that dont cost as much as theirs.
Old 09-10-18, 06:59 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Well.. many people do buy expensive bikes just so they can look good, seeking whatever the trend is at the moment to possess the right bling. And some do look down on others because they think the possession represents the person.
That may be, but those people DON'T RIDE. They just keep the bike on the roof rack. Attempting to ride it would give them away as a Fred.

What does matter to others in the group is how you ride. That is, if you can hold a line, maintain a constant speed, and in general you aren't doing stupid stuff that represent a danger to everyone around you. Speed and what bike you have matter a lot less.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.