Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Giant Revive Steering problem?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Giant Revive Steering problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-05, 11:29 AM
cjscott

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone that has a Giant Revive notice a problem steering especially turning on the bike. I had this problem when I test rode, I liked the bike a lot but even the guy that worked there rode on it and said it had a strange feel when trying to turn, the bike would not turn, it was strange. My husband said the same thing. I was wondering if it was just something I would get used to. The person at the store said it functions like a motorcycle and you have to lean into the turn a little more. I didn't notice this on the couple recumbants we rode. I'm short 5 ft 1" and liked the feel of it, it fit me well but just had this strange steering problem. Thanks CJ
Old 06-21-05, 04:59 PM
cjs1948

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cjscott
Anyone that has a Giant Revive notice a problem steering especially turning on the bike. I had this problem when I test rode, I liked the bike a lot but even the guy that worked there rode on it and said it had a strange feel when trying to turn, the bike would not turn, it was strange. My husband said the same thing. I was wondering if it was just something I would get used to. The person at the store said it functions like a motorcycle and you have to lean into the turn a little more. I didn't notice this on the couple recumbants we rode. I'm short 5 ft 1" and liked the feel of it, it fit me well but just had this strange steering problem. Thanks CJ
We had two Revives. You do get used to the steering. It exhibits what has been called flop because the angle of the steering head is steep--similar to a chopper motorcycle. The little spring that is between the fork and the frame is there to keep the fork stable when parked because of this. It is not an issue when riding where the bike is designed to be ridden--urban hard surfaces. It can be a problem in soft dirt/gravel because when turned the front tends to plow which, if not guarded against, can put you down. We rode ours everywhere including off-road trails without incident. We had trikes at the same time and preferred those so I sold the Revives. One was bought by a woman for her seventy-something mother and reported back that she loved it. I changed the gearing (since changed by the company) and installed better tires. If you like this bike, I recommend the one with the derailler--it's not only cheaper, the gearing has a much better range. (And no, you don't "lean" on this bike any more than any other bike. Get on it, peddle it, steer it--don't oversteer in slippery or soft conditions. Heavy, but nice ride.)

Chip
The Recumbent Trike Store
Denver, CO
303-618-5711
Old 01-04-06, 01:11 PM
older_than_dirt
Ollie

Bikes: Miyata Traveler / Giant Revive (semi-recumbent)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Revive, and have to admit that it seemed a little strange at first. I had to play with the handlebar adjustment for a couple of days to find the "sweet spot", but now it just seems natural. Give it a chance!
Old 01-07-06, 08:57 AM
BK Xray

Bikes: EZ Tandem, Catrike Road, EZ Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to really improve the Revive, try some good quality, high pressure tires. We switched tires on my wife's Revive and it really woke it up. She was able to maintain a much better pace with it.
Old 01-28-06, 02:32 PM
charlie's dad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased the Revive as a way to get some exercise. Conventional bikes don't suit me very well and I felt if I was going to "stick to it' and get in shape I needed a "comfort" bike. The Revive certainly fit the bill. The first thing I noticed when I took it for my first real ride was the "lack" of low speed stability. You really need to be moving and looking down the road to avoid flopping around. That is my only complaint. The bike is indeed a great substitute for a "health club" indoor recumbant and so far I have ridden every day with a noticable improvment in stamina. I view this bike as a tool that I hope to eventually graduate beyond. I know it is not a serious distance runner nor a serious recumbent but as an exercise tool for an out-of-shape middle ager it is perfect.
Old 02-06-06, 09:36 PM
packerfan
gb/lambeau

Bikes: Giant Revive and older road bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by charlie's dad
I purchased the Revive as a way to get some exercise. Conventional bikes don't suit me very well and I felt if I was going to "stick to it' and get in shape I needed a "comfort" bike. The Revive certainly fit the bill. The first thing I noticed when I took it for my first real ride was the "lack" of low speed stability. You really need to be moving and looking down the road to avoid flopping around. That is my only complaint. The bike is indeed a great substitute for a "health club" indoor recumbant and so far I have ridden every day with a noticable improvment in stamina. I view this bike as a tool that I hope to eventually graduate beyond. I know it is not a serious distance runner nor a serious recumbent but as an exercise tool for an out-of-shape middle ager it is perfect.
I agree with you 100% My wife and I each ride a Revive and throughly enjoy it. Remember, if your into biking for the exercise, like I am, it's not how far or how fast you go..........but it's the leg power that keeps the wheel turning. The more you ride it, the more you will like it.

I have some interesting comments on the Revive in the 50+ Forum. Check it out! Happy riding!
Old 02-19-06, 03:27 PM
packerfan
gb/lambeau

Bikes: Giant Revive and older road bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BK Xray
If you want to really improve the Revive, try some good quality, high pressure tires. We switched tires on my wife's Revive and it really woke it up. She was able to maintain a much better pace with it.
BK Xray,
Can you give me an idea of what type of tires you are referring to? Are they strictly for paved surfaces or for graveled trails as well?
Old 02-20-06, 10:10 AM
cjs1948

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by packerfan
BK Xray,
Can you give me an idea of what type of tires you are referring to? Are they strictly for paved surfaces or for graveled trails as well?
There are many that you can try. Maxxis Hookworms or Ringworms are high pressure, have some tread, are indestructable, and are inexpensive (a bit heavy). Tires such as Schwalbe Marathons, Schwalbe Marathon Plus, Kenda Kwest, IRC Flatlander, Primo VMonster, etc. all have some tread and would work very well. As long as there is some tread--I wouldn't use slicks--any recumbent or BMX high pressure tire will work better than the stock tires. This site has the most of the ones I mentioned and more: https://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/par.../wheelbmx.html

When my wife and I had Revives, I used Maxxis tires on them (Warning: these are very fat tires). They worked well and rode better, faster and more securely. We did some trail riding on the Revives without problem.

Chip
Old 09-24-20, 12:21 AM
Kcrunch1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fork spring

Originally Posted by packerfan
I agree with you 100% My wife and I each ride a Revive and throughly enjoy it. Remember, if your into biking for the exercise, like I am, it's not how far or how fast you go..........but it's the leg power that keeps the wheel turning. The more you ride it, the more you will like it.

I have some interesting comments on the Revive in the 50+ Forum. Check it out! Happy riding!
Does anyone know where I can find a replacement spring for the one between the fork and down tube? Mine broke
Old 09-24-20, 08:19 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Since you are new to the site you can not post pictures until you get 10 posts. I looked at picture of the Giant Revive and don't see any spring between the downtube (connects headset to bottom bracket) and the front fork. The only one visible is the suspension spring. You might contact this bike store for more information. Bicyleman carries a lot of parts for older recumbents even some no longer made. https://bicycleman.com
Old 09-24-20, 02:49 PM
unikid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Did you save the spring that broke? You might be able to salvage it unless it broke in the middle. They don't appear to be anything too special.
If you can measure the gauge of the wire, and the length and/or number of loops, you can likely match it up with something at the hardware store or online.
Old 09-25-20, 07:04 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Yeah, as I remember, the Revive was not designed very well and required that return spring in order to handle anywhere near correctly. I think finding a new spring would be a lot easier if you had the old one as an example. I've also heard of people using bungee cords and other types of resistance band nothing I'd consider satisfactory, though.
Old 09-26-20, 06:23 PM
Kcrunch1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unikid
Did you save the spring that broke? You might be able to salvage it unless it broke in the middle. They don't appear to be anything too special.
If you can measure the gauge of the wire, and the length and/or number of loops, you can likely match it up with something at the hardware store or online.
Hi yes I still have the broken spring. I unwound one loop and reattached it but it broke again. It appears to be stainless steel or chrome. My wife's bike still has the complete spring if I can find a matching one from a hardware store. It's such a small item but so difficult to find. Without it, the bike is a bit wobbly. It's definitely twitchy. Maybe someone has found something better than just a spring, like on sport bikes we use steering dampers that look lik
Old 09-26-20, 06:24 PM
Kcrunch1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi yes I still have the broken spring. I unwound one loop and reattached it but it broke again. It appears to be stainless steel or chrome. My wife's bike still has the complete spring if I can find a matching one from a hardware store. It's such a small item but so difficult to find. Without it, the bike is a bit wobbly. It's definitely twitchy. Maybe someone has found something better than just a spring, like on sport bikes we use steering dampers that look like a tiny strut.
Old 09-26-20, 06:33 PM
Kcrunch1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried at the hardware store, theirs is a bit too thin gauge and not rust proof. I also unwound one loop and reattached but it broke again after just one ride. I thought someone here has had it happen too and knew of a substitute or replacement.
Old 09-26-20, 06:34 PM
Kcrunch1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Yeah, as I remember, the Revive was not designed very well and required that return spring in order to handle anywhere near correctly. I think finding a new spring would be a lot easier if you had the old one as an example. I've also heard of people using bungee cords and other types of resistance band nothing I'd consider satisfactory, though.
Thanks, I will try the bungee cord
Old 09-26-20, 09:34 PM
unikid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Maybe try one of these online resources?

https://www.springsfast.com/products...nsion-springs/

https://www.thespringstore.com/catal...ension-springs

Or one of these sites on eBay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-4mm-Wire-....c100005.m1851

Last edited by unikid; 09-26-20 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Additional link
Old 09-30-20, 12:10 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
It's been so long since I saw a Revive in person that I can't remember what that little spring looked like. I can imagine that it was pretty stout, though. Maybe 5-10 pounds of pull?