Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Bike computers with USB port for downloading directly to PC

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 03-26-20, 06:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts

Welp, I finally encountered the flaw with the XOSS G+ some other users have complained about -- the ride is recorded but won't sync with Strava and can't be retrieved from the G+ via the USB port. The USB port defaults to recharge only.

A few owners claim to have been able to get a USB connection with their computers to retrieve data, but others haven't been able to duplicate that following the same methods. I tried several times with my Windows 7 and Win 10 PCs, no luck.

So, until the coronavirus pandemic settles down and XOSS can resume supporting the devices, I'm looking for another bike computer that will handle downloading ride logs from the bike computer to PC, preferably hardwired for reliability. Many devices have their own WiFi but syncing can be sketchy depending on RFI/EMI from other devices, although the WiFi connection between my Drift Ghost X video cameras and phone has been reliable.

Preferably under $200. Thanks. I don't have a power meter. Mostly I need compatibility with the usual Bluetooth sensors (Tickr, induction type speed/cadence sensors), although I have some older Wahoo speed/cadence sensors that are ANT+ only.

Meanwhile I have a backup -- my old iPhone 4s and Wahoo ANT+ adapter case. But it lacks temperature sensor and barometer/elevation sensor. And battery life is limited -- usually it'll last up to a 50 mile ride, if I leave the screen off and carry my Android phone for actual phone use.
Old 03-26-20, 08:04 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
You could pick up a used Garmin Edge 500 for under $100. That auto-uploads through Garmin Express when plugged into my computer. I believe it's ANT+ only, so no Bluetooth sensors, but if you've got ANT+ ones then you'd be good to go.

I just pulled the trigger today on a Garmin Edge 530 in order to have all the connectivity and features I've already got on my Fenix 5 watch. The watch is paired with my phone, and automatically uploads any activities I complete with it immediately and reliably. It's awesome to finish an activity with the Fenix 5 and have it already showing up in Strava before I even get seated at my computer. I got a good deal on the Garmin 530 with 15% off, so just over $250. That's more than the $200 you mentioned, but if the Edge 530 is as awesome as my Fenix 5 watch has been (it's similar tech and generation) I think you'd end up loving it.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 03-26-20, 08:30 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Thanks. I'll check around for a used Garmin 500. I'm leaning more toward something in the Lezyne or Bryton price/product range. As long as the logs can be accessed via USB cable in case there's any wireless sync failure.

Newer Garmin or Wahoo, maybe someday. But it'll take awhile to justify the expense due to financial setbacks from the current coronavirus pandemic. My piggy bank of play money set aside for bike stuff will probably be redirected toward necessities this year.
Old 03-26-20, 08:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Did XOSS supply a USB cable with the unit? Garmin's sometimes give similar issues when used with the USB cables of others. In some cases USB cables may only have the pins used for charging wired. And of course some devices only charge through the USB and pass data only through the wifi or bluetooth.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-26-20, 08:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I've been very happy with my Edge 500 since I got it in 2009 or '10. It's still going strong for what I use it for. However my son has a Edge 820 and he can use it to control his Bontrager Flare lights and Garmin Varia.

Though I can manage to reach them while riding to turn them on after I realize I forgot to do it before starting, it would be nice to do it through the Garmin, since it's sitting there in easier reach and tells me what mode the lights/radar is in.

And while my 500 will still handle power meters, I don't think it will do the more advanced stuff newer Edges and others will do with certain PM's.

So consider how long that Edge 500 might last if you think any of those other things might tempt you soon.
Old 03-26-20, 11:52 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Iride01
Did XOSS supply a USB cable with the unit? Garmin's sometimes give similar issues when used with the USB cables of others. In some cases USB cables may only have the pins used for charging wired. And of course some devices only charge through the USB and pass data only through the wifi or bluetooth.
Yup, tried that. I tried the original and every USB cable in the house. No luck. Some devices are picky about cables but it didn't make any difference this time.
Old 03-27-20, 04:42 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Garmin Edge 130 on sale at Garmin for $149.99. Not sure how long that $50 off will last. It's not quite what the Edge 500 was, but it seems to have most of what you'd want if your main purpose is record your data and look at it later.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-27-20, 05:52 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
A bunch of Garmins on sale currently. I know you hate to spend money on this, but a deals a deal

Edge 520 Plus @$199, down from $280 typically

https://www.clevertraining.com/garmi...cling-computer
Old 03-27-20, 06:11 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I have a Bryton Rider 10e. It's a very basic GPS computer - no routing, maps or anything fancy - just gives you basic speed/distance etc and will record your ride via GPS. Although I've never had a problem syncing via the app on my phone, to test I plugged it into my Windows 10 laptop via USB and it showed up as a drive and all the rides were there as FIT files.
Likes For bluehills3149:
Old 03-27-20, 11:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by bluehills3149
I have a Bryton Rider 10e. It's a very basic GPS computer - no routing, maps or anything fancy - just gives you basic speed/distance etc and will record your ride via GPS. Although I've never had a problem syncing via the app on my phone, to test I plugged it into my Windows 10 laptop via USB and it showed up as a drive and all the rides were there as FIT files.
I considered the Bryton Rider 15 back in January. It had most features I wanted but wasn't compatible with my older Wahoo ANT+ only sensors. That was one of the interesting features of the XOSS G+: compatibility with ANT+ and Bluetooth.

But I do have one magnetless induction speed/cadence sensor and could get another. Those are Bluetooth and ANT+.
Old 03-28-20, 11:59 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by bluehills3149
All the Wahoo units, except the Mini, do this as well. It's come in handy a time or two when my iPhone was giving me problems.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-28-20, 12:04 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Garmin computers act as USB storage which is accessible from any computer.

Wahoo computers implement Media Transfer Protocol like cameras which is still a standard but has less support on older systems.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 01-02-21, 09:28 AM
scruffyman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Igpsport

I recommend the IGPSPORT iGS50E. Simple to set up, just distance units and time offset. Long battery life, clear screen that cycles between current, max and average displays. Garmin type mount. Connects to PC via USB and appears as a drive. In Strava, browse to the Activities folder and upload several .fit files if you need to. It paired with a Garmin ANT+ HRM and records the HRM data.
I have two XOSS G+ and they don't connect with a PC via USB despite XOSS telling me they do! They work OK with XOSS app on Android phones and sync to Strava.
Old 01-02-21, 09:20 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Many devices have their own WiFi but syncing can be sketchy depending on RFI/EMI from other devices, although the WiFi connection between my Drift Ghost X video cameras and phone has been reliable.
If you are using WiFi for other things (like your computer) you won't have a problem with the Garmin using WiFi. What you are talking about isn't any sort of regular problem with them. I suspect that's true for any decent cycling computer. It's OK to want to use a wire (I guess) but this really isn't a reason.