Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Aero bars/bar ends on flat bar bike?

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-20, 03:15 PM
Jc08

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have recently purchased a Trek FX 1 for one purpose, ride in a triathlon. I am not competing, just doing them by myself for fun. I want to fit clip on aero bars to the handlebars but I also saw bar ends work. My question, which would you suggest to a new rider looking to try their first triathlon, bar ends or aero bars?

edit: I am not going to try a full length triathlon for my first time, just wanted to add that

Last edited by Jc08; 04-19-20 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Adding missing information
Old 04-19-20, 09:10 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by Jc08
I have recently purchased a Trek FX 1 for one purpose, ride in a triathlon. I am not competing, just doing them by myself for fun. I want to fit clip on aero bars to the handlebars but I also saw bar ends work. My question, which would you suggest to a new rider looking to try their first triathlon, bar ends or aero bars?

edit: I am not going to try a full length triathlon for my first time, just wanted to add that
I would suggest you use clip-on bars. They have the pads so that you can rest on your forearms, and thereby save your arms and shoulders from becoming fatigued. Bar ends don't allow you to rest on your forearms. In fact...you'd still be holding yourself up at arm's length. With clip-ons that have pads you are lowering yourself down to elbow height...and thereby lessing your profile...that's the aerodynamic advantage.

But...if you're just doing these personal triathlons only to compete against yourself...why do you need the them at all? I mean that's really up to you if that's how you want to set up your bike. I'm just sayin'... I just ride my standard road bike for training, and only get on the aero bars for a ride or two before an actual tri race.

And just wondering...by "full length triathlon"...what distance are you talking about? Ironman, half-Ironman, International/Olympic distance, or sprint distance?

Dan
Old 04-20-20, 04:05 AM
Jc08

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I would suggest you use clip-on bars. They have the pads so that you can rest on your forearms, and thereby save your arms and shoulders from becoming fatigued. Bar ends don't allow you to rest on your forearms. In fact...you'd still be holding yourself up at arm's length. With clip-ons that have pads you are lowering yourself down to elbow height...and thereby lessing your profile...that's the aerodynamic advantage.

But...if you're just doing these personal triathlons only to compete against yourself...why do you need the them at all? I mean that's really up to you if that's how you want to set up your bike. I'm just sayin'... I just ride my standard road bike for training, and only get on the aero bars for a ride or two before an actual tri race.

And just wondering...by "full length triathlon"...what distance are you talking about? Ironman, half-Ironman, International/Olympic distance, or sprint distance?

Dan
By full length triathlon, I mean anything longer than a sprint distance. I want them for different positions so I can relieve pressure on my hands and wrists.
Old 04-20-20, 04:22 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
I had both bar ends and clip-on aero bars on one flat bar bike for a while, but I took the bar ends off when I realized that I never used them and used the aero bars constantly.
Old 04-20-20, 06:59 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by Jc08
By full length triathlon, I mean anything longer than a sprint distance. I want them for different positions so I can relieve pressure on my hands and wrists.
Definately go with the clip-on aero bars.

Dan