Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Economy and cyclists

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Economy and cyclists

Old 06-01-20, 09:15 AM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Economy and cyclists

Just got this from a friend, in an email......

Subject: Economy and cyclists

Sanjay Thakrar, CEO at Euro Exim Bank Ltd. got economists thinking when he said “A cyclist is a disaster for the country's economy - He does not buy the car & does not take a car loan - Does not buy car insurance - Does not buy Fuel - Does not send his car for servicing & repairs - Does not use paid Parking - Does not become Obese - Yes,.....and well, damn it !!
Healthy people are not needed for the economy. They do not buy drugs. They do not go to Hospitals & Doctors. They add nothing to country's GDP.

On the contrary, every new McDonald outlet creates at least 30 jobs - 10 Cardiologists, 10 Dentists, 10 weight loss experts, apart from people workingin McDonald’s outlets. Choose wisely: A Cycle or a McDonald ? Worththinking”

PS. walking is even worse. they do not even buy a bicycle.
Likes For alanf:
Old 06-01-20, 09:51 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
Hmmmm...
Old 06-01-20, 02:26 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I can hear Steven Tyler singing: "Eat the rich! There's only one thing they're really good for!!!"

Elf that one percenter
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 06-03-20, 06:59 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Don't worry. Once more and more people get back to working on a daily basis, all these pandemic cyclists will not have, or find, the time to ride as much if at all.

I for one have had a harder time getting my riding time in since my work has picked up.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 06-03-20, 05:55 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Notice how he considers hospitals and doctors as part of the economy.

F him and his GDP.
Old 06-03-20, 07:44 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
Notice how he considers hospitals and doctors as part of the economy.

F him and his GDP.
Well, it's 18% of the U.S. economy and one of the fastest growing segments. Just saying.
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 06-03-20, 09:20 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Profiteering off of people's lives. Just saying.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 06-03-20, 09:24 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Oh, and that 18-percent of "the economy" is the health insurance companies. A business model of making profit by refusing to pay for procedures and other care. Just saying.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 06-04-20, 05:05 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Oh, and that 18-percent of "the economy" is the health insurance companies. A business model of making profit by refusing to pay for procedures and other care. Just saying.
Sounds like you don't have health insurance, either. Welcome to the club.
Old 06-04-20, 05:18 PM
bobwysiwyg

Profiteering off of people's lives. Just saying.
Sadly, that's capitalism. Gotta satisfy those shareholders.
Old 06-04-20, 05:19 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
None of what he speaks of is necessarily bad for the economy. It may alter the status quo by redirecting spending but that can arguably lead to greater economic growth as the shift increases activity. Large and very rapid change can create short term problems, but generally speaking change is good.
Old 06-04-20, 05:42 PM
jogya03
half way commuter

Bikes: few folders, road bike, and MTB

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=alanf;21509061]Just got this from a friend, in an email......

Sanjay Thakrar, CEO at Euro Exim Bank Ltd. got economists thinking when he said “A cyclist is a disaster for the country's economy ....

hahaha ...for me, wealthy persons who travel a lot on subsidized flag airline, running a "sucessful business" that enjoy monopoly and protected from competition are the real economic vampires....who suck the blood of others, poorer tax payers.
Likes For jogya03:
Old 07-06-20, 12:01 PM
AMGwagon

Bikes: Seven Axiom XX '18; Seven Aerios '06; Seven Sola '04 and others

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by alanf

Sanjay Thakrar, CEO at Euro Exim Bank Ltd. got economists thinking when he said “A cyclist is a disaster for the country's economy - He does not buy the car & does not take a car loan - Does not buy car insurance - Does not buy Fuel - Does not send his car for servicing & repairs - Does not use paid Parking - Does not become Obese - Yes,.....and well, damn it !!
Healthy people are not needed for the economy. They do not buy drugs. They do not go to Hospitals & Doctors. They add nothing to country's GDP.

On the contrary, every new McDonald outlet creates at least 30 jobs - 10 Cardiologists, 10 Dentists, 10 weight loss experts, apart from people workingin McDonald’s outlets. Choose wisely: A Cycle or a McDonald ? Worththinking”

As a cyclist first, and economist second, I find the above summary hilarious because it openly says what most will not: we are just bread to be consumers in a big pyramid scheme. And what eventually happens to pyramid schemes? They fail. Our failure as a society could come from any number of reasons: crushing financial leverage (national debt soaring as we sit here), personal leverage (debt to income could become unsustainable for so many people with loss of jobs and social benefits that millions of ppl going bankrupt becomes a negative feedback loop hitting GDP further), disease, war (civil and foreign)...

I am a hack... I have a car and drive it about 25% as much as I ride my bike. When I was commuting it was bike to train station, and subway in the city. Road trips and grocery-getting is tough on just a bike. I have been worried about collapse (personal and national) for so many years I'm almost numb and basically expect it may happen at any point.

Want to know why Regan's "Trickle down" economic argument is fiction? While rich people write laws to make dividend and carried interest income taxed at only 15%, they are actually building wealth on a continued basis. However the rest of us suckers are spending close to every penny we make, most of which gets taxed above the 15% rich people pay (e.g.: Warren Buffet has personal income tax rate of 17%). We actually drive the economy far more than the "rich" sector does given how much of each dollar we make recycles back into the GDP. But rich people keep saving, which inherently drags on the economy... Perhaps Sanjay Thakrar should have issue with those people at the top (including himself).
Likes For AMGwagon:
Old 07-06-20, 09:47 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

He doesn't take into account that a lot of the money a bicyclist saves by not having a car or its attendant expenses, is often spent instead on other things that drive the economy.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 07-06-20, 10:19 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
I think he was playing with the audience.
Likes For alanf:
Old 07-10-20, 07:54 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
I assume (if the email is real) that he was trying to provoke debate.

Thanks to automation, the jobs most necessary for humanity's survival - providing food, basic shelter etc. - can be done by a fraction of the population, so we have had the opportunity to add jobs and whole industries that we believe improve our quality of life, like tourism, sports, the hobby industry; or cater to our vanities or our desire for luxury, like the fashion industry, the beauty industry,high end homes and cars (and bicycles). We have also added jobs whose main purpose is to extract money from other industries or people - financial advisor, patent litigator and a few others. We like being catered to, so we patronize restaurants, cafes, spas, nail salons and what have you. Whole sectors like this could disappear without too much impact on the overall course of human history.

One purpose of all these add-on industries - maybe the main purpose - is to distribute money to everybody. Don't own a farm or work making bricks with straw and clay? No problem, you can become a travel agent or dog-walker - jobs that would be a inconceivable if everybody had to work in the fields to feed the population.

So basically we have a huge economic infrastructure (actually - superstructure) of non-essential industries and jobs, based on a surplus of labour and the need to keep everybody employed so they can eat and in some cases maybe even get rich..

The problem with all this is it is hugely wasteful of resources. We could live much more lightly on the planet if we didn't all the frivolous, redundant industrial activity that keeps much of the population employed and puts money in their bank accounts to keep their families fed and housed. We don't need to eat oranges in winter in Norway or drive a Hummer - we do it because we can. And as the letter points out, we are not necessarily improving our lives by all the consumption - in some cases it makes us less healthy.

Of course if we all decide to cut back on the luxury and live simpler, healthier lives, the industries that cater to our vices will collapse.

Can't have that!

Last edited by cooker; 07-10-20 at 07:58 AM.
Likes For cooker:
Old 08-24-20, 01:22 PM
boxrick

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a great plus for bikes in my eyes, all those free benefits to society. Everyone should be cycling!
Old 08-24-20, 04:23 PM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by boxrick
This is a great plus for bikes in my eyes, all those free benefits to society. Everyone should be cycling!
Well, that's extreme. I understand your enthusiasm for cycling, but trying to put everyone on bikes to solve the world's social and economic problems is fanciful.
Old 08-29-20, 07:58 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
I probably spend more on my bikes and attendant paraphernalia than most people do on car payments, license renewals/registration, insurance, maintenance and gas. And that’s not even taking into consideration the additional grocery bills to cover my redonculous caloric intake.

Years ago a tenant of mine told me that the staff at the home for the mentally ret@rded where she worked had been instructed to refer to the residents instead as “our consumers.”

So despite not having had to see a physician in twenty years, still feel like quite a consumer.

Last edited by andychrist; 08-29-20 at 08:51 AM.
Likes For andychrist:
Old 08-30-20, 10:45 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 381 Posts
The premise is generally false. Money cyclists don't spent on cars is spent on other things. However, the exception is generally large, in that the desire for expensive items like cars motivate people to earn more income. Earning more income usually requires one learn a trade or provide a service which society values enough to pay a higher price. These trades or services require schools, colleges, or programs which provide classrooms, teachers, and materials to teach others to perform trades or provide services. These trades and services usually improve the overall quality of life of society, and provide incomes which create more tax revenue for the state.

The worst thing for the economy are indolent people who don't care to improve themselves to the point that they can provide positive value to society.

The best way to make the world a better place is to make yourself a better person.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 08-31-20, 05:02 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
I think he was playing with the audience.
I couldn't find any evidence that there ever was an actual audience for the alleged quoted statements from a Sanjay Thakrar, CEO at Euro Exim Bank Ltd. Or that any economic authority ever made the statements quoted in the OP to an audience of economists.

Lots of alleged statements and wacky theories from alleged experts get passed along on email and other social media from friends.

It appears that the OP was a recipient of an email that included content that was just more disinformation that gets fabricated to pass along on Facebook and other social media just to stir up "friends."
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 08-31-20, 11:14 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
I love this kinda stuff. The firm "Euro Exim" is a privately owned offshore financial institution in St. Lucia that provides letters of credit. Barely a bank. Not one's first choice for economic research. And I'm not seeing Sanjay baby on the website. But you gotta love the idea that sick people make a stronger economy because they spend a lot. That's like saying that if we burn down all the houses, then we see economic benefits from homebuilding. People always confusing the balance sheet with the income statement.
Likes For blacknbluebikes: