Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-20, 11:00 PM
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
I like Lazer Helmets Here is there Urban Style. They have many others.
Old 07-22-20, 01:27 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I always feel like an idiot wearing an aero, racing-style helmet, the only style really available around here (because don't all cyclists want to be racers?). My riding is the opposite; #partypace . I do like ventilation, the humidity around here is ludicrous, but that aero shape is just dumb. I just suck it up and wear my brain bucket. Which needs replacing, since I dropped it out of the car onto asphalt twice now. 🙄
Likes For Korina:
Old 07-24-20, 05:52 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
Not really. I myself have never found a helmet that doesn't look stupid on me-- there is something about my head shape (plus the fact that my head is on the small side)...
This sounds like a problem that needs to be fixed from the INSIDE, rather than the OUTSIDE. You probably look fine to other people in any helmet. Consider working on your own image of yourself, because you will never find a bike helmet that does that trick for you.
Old 07-30-20, 09:18 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
This sounds like a problem that needs to be fixed from the INSIDE, rather than the OUTSIDE. You probably look fine to other people in any helmet. Consider working on your own image of yourself, because you will never find a bike helmet that does that trick for you.
My image of myself is fine, thanks. Sometimes a spade is a spade.
Old 08-01-20, 07:05 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
My image of myself is fine, thanks. Sometimes a spade is a spade.
OK. 'You say so.
Old 08-03-20, 08:26 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
You can lead an ostrich to water, but you can't make her drink

Spoiler

Old 08-04-20, 06:19 AM
bonjourpanda

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I got a thousand helmet. They're retro style and pretty cute.
Old 08-04-20, 07:11 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
If I never have to wear this one again, I'll be very pleased.

Likes For kaos joe:
Old 08-05-20, 04:25 PM
313Biker

Bikes: Hybrid, MTB

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My MIPS helmet isn't a fashion statement. It's there to keep my noggin' intact if or when I collide with something harder than my skull.
IDGAF what it looks like as long as it protects my skull and its contents. That is all.
Old 08-11-20, 11:48 AM
Leyburn

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My (limited) understanding is that most cycle helmets are designed to reduce head injuries for children if they fall over i.e. not much protection if you're an adult and hit the ground when cycling at much more than walking pace.

I wear a cycle helmet in an attempt to ensure that I get the maximum compensation for injury if a cager ploughs into me, I'll post a link shortly.

The human skull ceased evolving long before concrete and tarmac was invented.

Edit: 10 posts and no more than 5 posts a day, so I can now post this link https://www.quittance.co.uk/personal...-a-bike-helmet

Last edited by Leyburn; 08-11-20 at 01:30 PM.
Likes For Leyburn:
Old 08-12-20, 01:11 AM
ecovelo

Bikes: 1992 Trek 950, 1994 Canondale M600, 2000 Cannondale C300, 2004 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2010 Salsa Vaya, 2013 Jamis Dragon - Team Issue, 2019 Salsa Timberjack, 2020 Tern Vektron

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I have to admit my first instinctual thought bubble response to the question was 'I'm not sure I really care what I look like in my helmet...or care what my helmet looks like - so long as it's functional... provides protection, good air circulation, is comfortable, etc.' Upon further reflection... I had to be told a number of years ago that the main helmet that I wear regardless of which bike I'm riding, which path I'm on or where it is taking me - is an MTB helmet. (who knew? most cyclists it turns out!) It has a little visor on it. As do my other couple of helmets. So obviously I have a preference for this style of helmet because when I see helmets without visors, they just look wrong. I also must confess - that I made a sight unseen internet purchase of a Uvex helmet - purely because I loved the color of it in the picture. Turns out this helmet also fits and feels great - and it has a little visor! - so win-win!

All this reminds me of a dear friend who claims (with a slight arrogance I might ad) she "does not care what color her car is!" ...except she won't ever buy a black car... or red, especially if it's bright red... or silver because most cars are silver... or green if it's a bright green... same with blue...

Obviously, fit, comfort, purpose, type of cycling, weather, etc. - all inform my helmet purchase decisions. But if it has a visor, looks cool and comes in a gorgeous, understated, classy color... well then
Now... how I look once I get to work after wearing a helmet.. especially in the heat.... What does one do with a cowlick, for example, once a helmet has flattened it into all directions averse?

Last edited by ecovelo; 08-12-20 at 01:15 AM. Reason: add
Old 08-13-20, 01:17 PM
ecovelo

Bikes: 1992 Trek 950, 1994 Canondale M600, 2000 Cannondale C300, 2004 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2010 Salsa Vaya, 2013 Jamis Dragon - Team Issue, 2019 Salsa Timberjack, 2020 Tern Vektron

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Check out these helmets... circa 1987. Our choices were a bit limited then... I think these are all Bells if I'm not mistaken.

They did the job but I must admit... I'm grateful for innovation!
Likes For ecovelo:
Old 08-13-20, 02:12 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Cleaning out my garage last weekend I found my first helmet, a styrofoam job from Performance with a sheer blue fabric cover. Probably from around 1990. Anyone want it? I think it hasn't gone out in the trash yet
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-13-20, 07:41 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by ecovelo
I have to admit my first instinctual thought bubble response to the question was 'I'm not sure I really care what I look like in my helmet...or care what my helmet looks like - so long as it's functional... provides protection, good air circulation, is comfortable, etc.' Upon further reflection... I had to be told a number of years ago that the main helmet that I wear regardless of which bike I'm riding, which path I'm on or where it is taking me - is an MTB helmet. (who knew? most cyclists it turns out!) It has a little visor on it. As do my other couple of helmets. So obviously I have a preference for this style of helmet because when I see helmets without visors, they just look wrong. I also must confess - that I made a sight unseen internet purchase of a Uvex helmet - purely because I loved the color of it in the picture. Turns out this helmet also fits and feels great - and it has a little visor! - so win-win!

All this reminds me of a dear friend who claims (with a slight arrogance I might ad) she "does not care what color her car is!" ...except she won't ever buy a black car... or red, especially if it's bright red... or silver because most cars are silver... or green if it's a bright green... same with blue...

Obviously, fit, comfort, purpose, type of cycling, weather, etc. - all inform my helmet purchase decisions. But if it has a visor, looks cool and comes in a gorgeous, understated, classy color... well then
Now... how I look once I get to work after wearing a helmet.. especially in the heat.... What does one do with a cowlick, for example, once a helmet has flattened it into all directions averse?
Sure, I care, but only to an extent. If it looks great but isn't in my price range? I can't afford to care. I'm not going to pay $300 for a helmet that looks good vs. $70 or less for one that's only so-so or even looks bad. I suppose if I was a supermodel and my "look" was just ruuuuuined by a so-so helmet, I might feel differently.

Originally Posted by 313Biker
My MIPS helmet isn't a fashion statement. It's there to keep my noggin' intact if or when I collide with something harder than my skull.
IDGAF what it looks like as long as it protects my skull and its contents. That is all.
Pretty much. I choose to look dumb in a helmet because I'll be a hell of a lot less attractive than that with a smashed-in skull, closed-head injury, or as a vegetable (sorry, I know that's not a "nice" word, but it sure gets the point across).

Originally Posted by holytrousers
You can lead an ostrich to water, but you can't make her drink

Spoiler

Yes, well, if I looked like that I wouldn't need to worry about how my helmet looked, would I?

Originally Posted by ecovelo
Check out these helmets... circa 1987. Our choices were a bit limited then... I think these are all Bells if I'm not mistaken.

They did the job but I must admit... I'm grateful for innovation!
IMO those were pretty good-looking for 80s Bells! (So, did they also come in white? )

I had a 90s Bell... a 90s *kids* Bell... I did a Google image search and can't even find anything as unattractive as I remember that helmet being...

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Cleaning out my garage last weekend I found my first helmet, a styrofoam job from Performance with a sheer blue fabric cover. Probably from around 1990. Anyone want it? I think it hasn't gone out in the trash yet
I kind of just want to see a *picture* of it, lol.
Old 08-13-20, 07:56 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I mean... careful what you wish for.

In 1990 I turned 13. I remember that by 1995 or so the aero peaked profile was familiar and common enough that the crests of the alien Minbari on Babylon 5 were instantly recognizable as bike helmets

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-13-20 at 08:05 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-15-20, 11:07 AM
striegel 

Bikes: 1975 Paris Sport 700, 2007 Dahon Mu P8 (folding bicycle), 1984 Miyata 210

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
The Giro Sutton is my current helmet and it works really well for me without making me appear like some TDF wanna-be.
Its visor could definitely be longer on sunny days and the taillight clip bugs me because it makes a rattle with my PBSF on it. Apart from those niggles, Iʻd recommend it. The effective ventilation surprised me, since I thought it would be hotter without larger vents - proving it can be done.
Old 08-17-20, 11:06 AM
313Biker

Bikes: Hybrid, MTB

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leyburn
My (limited) understanding is that most cycle helmets are designed to reduce head injuries for children if they fall over i.e. not much protection if you're an adult and hit the ground when cycling at much more than walking pace.

I wear a cycle helmet in an attempt to ensure that I get the maximum compensation for injury if a cager ploughs into me, I'll post a link shortly.

The human skull ceased evolving long before concrete and tarmac was invented.

Edit: 10 posts and no more than 5 posts a day, so I can now post this link https://www.quittance.co.uk/personal...-a-bike-helmet
I went down a year or 2 ago, and I was extremely glad I was wearing a helmet, especially when I felt my helmet collide with the ground, and was able to stand up and ride home. I don't know where you got your information but it is wrong. Head injuries are no joke and if you care there are stats on all of this, and sound references for it.

I'd rather be safe wearing one than not, but it is your call.

https://www.nsc.org/safety-first-blo...life.%E2%80%9D
Likes For 313Biker:
Old 08-17-20, 11:10 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Get 2; 1 for summer, 1 for winter..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-21-20, 03:17 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
No such thing as a helment that makes the wearer look good.

"It is better to look good than to feel good."
Old 08-25-20, 09:42 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Reality check: all bike helmets look goofy, on anyone.

Personally I don't care much. If the helmet were the goofiest thing I have on I'd probably count that as a win.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 08-25-20, 11:52 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
If you don't want to wear one, that's fine (stupid, but fine) and your decision. I just don't like all the people trying to justify it with bogus stats and inaccurate, or downright misleading, information.

Same thing with helmets on motorcycles. Although some states mandate it, I'm against making them mandatory.

You'll never catch me riding without my safety gear, but I fully support others' right to be idiots. I also reserve the right to point out they're idiots, but still support their right.
Old 08-26-20, 02:14 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
If you don't want to wear one, that's fine (stupid, but fine) and your decision.
They're not stupid - it's a rational decision based on knowledge of the risks.

I can understand that if you always wear a helmet, no exceptions, it will keep you from forgetting it when you do need it. I don't see that as necessary, personally, but neither way is actually "stupid".

Last edited by wphamilton; 08-27-20 at 04:23 PM.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 09-28-20, 09:34 AM
yo vanilla

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
half the responses in this thread remind me why i gave up on forums a long while back.

some helmets ARE really ugly, or cheap or garish looking. or sit funny on your head (mushroom top) compared to others. it might have been stated better than referring to "looking like an idiot" but it's a fair question. it's not like there's a lack of choices. and if you are willing to spend more than 40 bucks you can certainly find something you like the look of. i'll tell you what, especially for someone who might be new to it and not realize why a helmet is actually important, having one they like the look of is one more incentive to actually wear it.

for instance i personally currently have the Bontrager Starvos MIPS helmet based on price, reviews, and yes i like the look of it preferred to other comparable helmets in the price range.
Old 09-28-20, 10:28 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by yo vanilla
half the responses in this thread remind me why i gave up on forums a long while back.

some helmets ARE really ugly, or cheap or garish looking. or sit funny on your head (mushroom top) compared to others. it might have been stated better than referring to "looking like an idiot" but it's a fair question. it's not like there's a lack of choices. and if you are willing to spend more than 40 bucks you can certainly find something you like the look of. i'll tell you what, especially for someone who might be new to it and not realize why a helmet is actually important, having one they like the look of is one more incentive to actually wear it.

for instance i personally currently have the Bontrager Starvos MIPS helmet based on price, reviews, and yes i like the look of it preferred to other comparable helmets in the price range.
But here's the thing..that helmet you posted looks fine and I'm sure it's great but it's nothing I'd wear but all helmets look ugly so why not have some fun. I have a nut case because I'm just not "serious" enough to to want to think about my helmet for the 2 miles I'll actually wear one so I choose a helmet that I can sticker bomb.
Old 09-28-20, 10:42 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Leyburn
Late to the thread...and I have some experience in this department as a 46 year old guy weighing about 80kg (180lbs) who can still go fast.

8 Aug: I crashed hard when my front end washed out on a gravel/pavement transition. The impact occurred at approximately 40km/h, primary impact point was on the front right of the helmet, secondary was my right shoulder. No loss of consciousness, no concussion. Severely bruised ribs, broken (cracked) humerus, and road rash. Verdict: destroyed helmet saved my life.

25 Sep (last Friday): car turned left in front of me, naturally he pleaded, "I just didn't see you". It was raining, and the rim brakes (predictably) didn't immediately engage on the carbon rims, I hit the car with my head (face) at roughly 30km/h...and the helmet is destroyed, and some bad cuts on my face. No loss of consciousness, no concussion. Face looks marginally worse than it did when I started the day. Verdict: Helmets work.

Speeds confirmed by Strava, Also, Garmin edge crash notifications work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.