Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What tires do you run on your Hybrid?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

What tires do you run on your Hybrid?

Old 10-24-20, 01:26 PM
Legobrick
Daywalker

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question What tires do you run on your Hybrid?

I'm mostly running on pavement but, occasionally, I end up on gravel due to local construction zones.
I bought my bike used and the current tires have a lot of cracks in the sidewalls.
I don't think she was well cared for previously.
What tires do you recommend for this type of situation?
Old 10-24-20, 04:23 PM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Schwalbe Marathon Supreme if you primarily ride on paved surfaces - works ok on loose surfaces as long as you keep in mind you are on slicks.

Regular Marathon if you want a decent all around tire that excels at nothing but is good for everything.
Old 10-24-20, 05:07 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9530 Post(s)
Liked 6,273 Times in 3,459 Posts
700 X 28 Conti 4 Season on my Sirrus 4.0. Mostly paved with some gravel riding.
Old 10-25-20, 11:24 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by Legobrick
I'm mostly running on pavement but, occasionally, I end up on gravel due to local construction zones.
I bought my bike used and the current tires have a lot of cracks in the sidewalls.
I don't think she was well cared for previously.
What tires do you recommend for this type of situation?
In general, the largest tire that will fit in your frame will be more comfortable and offer more traction (than narrower tires). The theoretical downside is speed, but many studies have shown this not to be a significant factor. It's even less of a factor for most riders in most situations (where you're not measuring lap times in tenths of a second).

If your frame can fit them, modern gravel tires in the ~40mm size range are generally very good, and offer a great blend of comfort, rolling resistance, etc.
Old 10-25-20, 07:59 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
I ride mostly pavement, but it's a rural area with a lot of horse & buggies (which really do a number on the roads). And many rides have a mile or two of gravel roads mixed in with the pavement. Plus I ride rail trails with the family, which are frequently crushed stone or hard-packed dirt. So a broad mix of surfaces.

I was happy with the Donnelly X'Plor USH 700x35 tires that came on the bike when I bought it new last year. I got just over 3,000 miles on those with no problems. Then about five months ago I switched to tubeless tires - Hutchinson Override 700x35. They were definitely more comfortable, but the rear got a puncture too big for the sealant to handle after about 1,200 miles. So I put a Specialized Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss 700x38 on the rear to replace that, and I kept the good Hutchinson on the front. It seems to have a little more grip in the gravel, and I have not noticed any detriment to the larger tire (speed, sluggishness, etc.). So when it comes time to replace the front tire I'll go with the Pathfinder Pro on it also. If you don't have tubeless-ready rims there is also a tube version of the Pathfinder, which I assume would be the same quality as the 2Bliss. Or you could just put tubes in the 2Bliss version.
Likes For AU Tiger:
Old 10-26-20, 12:33 PM
Alzerbster

Bikes: 2021 Verve 2018 Cannondale Adventure

Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
I have been riding on Marathons. I ride strictly rail trails, with some of those trails being asphalt. Just bought a Trek Verve that comes with the Bontrager 700x45 tires. Rode the bike 40 miles, and I hated the tires. Put 700x38 marathons on it, and I couldn't believe the difference in how the bike rode. Just felt faster and lighter. I really didn't notice any less of a comfortable ride with the 38s on. So yes tires do make a difference.
Old 10-26-20, 01:31 PM
hugorodrigo23

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
I have a Sirrus X 5.0 and I replaced the stock pathfinder 38 mm tires with a set of 32 mm GP 5000 tires. The bike feels a lot faster and lighter, my commute includes a climb that feels a lot easier with the lighter tires, but sometimes a miss the comfort that those 38 mm tires provide. I would say that if your commute doesn´t include hills, go for bigger tires.
Old 10-27-20, 09:57 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
On my Crosstrail, I had switched to Continental CrossRide (700x42 but measured at 39) and really liked those on the C&O canal. They are much more comfortable compared to the Specialized Triggers originally on the bike and did a better job of not sliding in muddy patches.

My Scott Sub Cross, I have the off branded Schwalbe Smart Sam's and honestly, am a bit disappointed. They are 700x42, which I find a good size for my riding on canal trails and very comfortable. I'm disappointed since at nearly 600 miles of mostly trail riding, the tire has very little traction left. These things wear out quickly.

Am in the market for a new tire. Considering Pirelli's Cinturato Gravel M and a few WTB gravel tires. But still waiting for my new wheels before buying the tires. They are backordered like everything else in the bike industry.
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 10-27-20, 03:41 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
travbikeman would you consider the Conti CrossRide tires again? They look like a "skinny tire" version of the X-King or CrossKing. I have those in 27.5x2.2" on my mountain bike and find them to actually be pretty good large hybrid tires. They roll pretty smoothly on pavement, but also don't have a tremendous amount of off road traction in return.

If looking at some of WTB's stuff, the Nano 40c is usually praised as a good all around tire. I have a few sets in the 2.1" MTB tire size and they're sticky like glue on most surfaces...and roll well on pavement. They do have a bit of a "growl" on the road...I think this is because of all the biting edges on the tread.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 10-27-20, 04:04 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
travbikeman would you consider the Conti CrossRide tires again? They look like a "skinny tire" version of the X-King or CrossKing. I have those in 27.5x2.2" on my mountain bike and find them to actually be pretty good large hybrid tires. They roll pretty smoothly on pavement, but also don't have a tremendous amount of off road traction in return.

If looking at some of WTB's stuff, the Nano 40c is usually praised as a good all around tire. I have a few sets in the 2.1" MTB tire size and they're sticky like glue on most surfaces...and roll well on pavement. They do have a bit of a "growl" on the road...I think this is because of all the biting edges on the tread.
I'm keeping options open and have seen a few Conti's I like. Not sure if they are even making the Crossrides anymore, but would be a tire I would consider buying again. But have noticed the Conti Terra Trail seems very similar to the Crossride. That is one option I'm considering.

I'm kind of liking the WTB Riddler's. Have been reading many good reviews of all the tires I'm considering at moment.
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 10-27-20, 05:09 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
If you get any snow or ice, stay away from Marathon Supremes..... They do not like that stuff at all!

And, I love Marathon Supremes.
Likes For Wanderer:
Old 10-28-20, 09:53 AM
gio957

Bikes: Specialized Allez 12

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Gp5000 TL 32c.
Likes For gio957:
Old 10-28-20, 12:22 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
I want to replace the slow and heavy OEM 700x45 "Street Rolling" tires on my Indie3 but at ~$100 per....I'll just peddle harder.
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 10-28-20, 12:39 PM
Alzerbster

Bikes: 2021 Verve 2018 Cannondale Adventure

Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
I want to replace the slow and heavy OEM 700x45 "Street Rolling" tires on my Indie3 but at ~$100 per....I'll just peddle harder.
Not sure what kind of tire you are looking at for $100 each, but there are a lot of quality tires you can get for a lot less than that.
Old 10-28-20, 01:10 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
Conti 4000s II - 28mm
Virtually all my riding is on well paved roads. My hybrid is used mostly as a flat-bar road fitness bike. I've been using these tires for some time now. They have basically been my "go to" tire for my other bikes too. I rarely if at all ever get the bike on any kind of dirt of gravel surface for any length of time during a ride. Since these tires appear to be being dropped for the newer 5000 models I'm going to have to start looking around. The next set will definitely be 32mm or larger.
Old 10-29-20, 07:38 AM
dcee604

Bikes: Ridley Noah SL, Storck Aerfast Pro, Ventum GS1

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
I've been using Bontrager Hard Case 700x32c for 6 years. Seems to have held up well for me, but my daily commute is only 12kms. Have only had 1 puncture in all those years, and that was hitting a deep pothole.
Old 10-29-20, 08:58 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Specialized Roubaix Pro 32mm on a Sirrus X Comp (now called the X 5.0). I've been using these for several years now with no issues on current and previous Sirrus. Bike is used as a flat-bar road bike. Mostly paved surfaces, with the occasional dirt/gravel road foray. Very quick; supple (comfortable); excellent grip dry/wet; very good puncture resistance and durability.
Old 10-29-20, 09:11 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Schwalbe Little Big Ben.
Old 10-29-20, 09:35 AM
SpeedRanger

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 18 Posts
25mm Continental 4000s II, so far 1900 miles and no problems, not one flat. I ride 95% paved roads.
Old 10-30-20, 08:13 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Alzerbster
Not sure what kind of tire you are looking at for $100 each, but there are a lot of quality tires you can get for a lot less than that.
I forgot to mention....I'm in Canada where everything is more expensive!
Old 11-02-20, 04:32 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
I have Maxxis DTHs on my bike, and love them. Fast, plush, grippy, and so far at least, no flats. My hybrid is a '92 RockHopper converted into my sturdy steel street steed and 26" x 2.15" tires fit nicely.
Old 11-03-20, 08:49 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 77 Posts
Michelin power gravel.
Old 11-06-20, 09:59 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Continental Speed Ride. They are 700x42C, but in fact measure 38mm on 19mm rims, and that's in line what I've read from others. Have had them for a bit over 1K miles, so far I like them a lot.

Off topic, but I think focusing on traction is exaggerated when talking about recreational/fitness riding which is usually the type done on hybrid bikes. I personally very rarely experience situations where I've felt a knobbier tire would have made much difference. That said, I've ridden in mud and snow on near-slicks all my teen years, so I know what to anticipate from different surfaces and am pretty confident in my skills.
Old 11-06-20, 11:16 AM
prime winner

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
I've got those Continental Speed Ride tires and have completed 2 rides for 20 miles total. My last ride (not counted in those two for 20 miles) I only made it a little less than 4 miles before I wiped out. I took a right turn too fast , hit some soil/debris on the entrance to a parking lot and down I went. I'm not going to say I think the tire was at fault but I don't know if it helped. I haven't decided if I'll switch back to my stock Bontrager H5 tires or not. Maybe just for peace of mind. Those Speed Ride tires have some funky looking tread on them. I also didn't notice a performance improvement when I switched to the Speed Rides, but I had only been on 4 rides for 60 miles with the H5's.
Old 11-10-20, 06:22 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by prime winner
I took a right turn too fast , hit some soil/debris on the entrance to a parking lot and down I went. I'm not going to say I think the tire was at fault but I don't know if it helped.
Sounds like user error to me. Soil/debris on asphalt is a dangerous combination and hitting it while cornering at speed, a wash out is pretty much garanteed. It's unlikely any tire would have done much better in those circumstances.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.