Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dangers of the cold

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Dangers of the cold

Old 11-06-20, 06:40 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Dangers of the cold

What is more dangerous? Riding slower (more effort), but longer exposure (time) to the cold or Riding faster but less exposure (time) to the cold? Cold being defined as below freezing. Thank You.
Old 11-06-20, 07:25 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 79 Posts
There's really no danger in the cold. per se, unless you're not dressed for it. Frostbite is a risk in truly frigid conditions, and in that case, wind chill would be a consideration.

The greatest danger is ice on the road.
Likes For John Nolan:
Old 11-06-20, 07:53 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Why would it take more effort to ride slowly?
Old 11-06-20, 08:18 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
I think the optimum is to ride as fast as you can without sweating. (Much.)
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-06-20, 09:01 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
With proper clothing as long as I'm riding I'll stay warm enough and will get to my destination in a timely fashion. My concern is having any type of breakdown that'll cause me to stop and then freeze.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 11-06-20, 10:24 AM
sloppy12

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
harder to stay awake.
Old 11-06-20, 12:34 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Personally I think you would be safer riding with lower exertion in the cold (though I don't). I say low exertion rather than low speed because on my fat bike I can be riding hard and not going very fast. By necessity under high exertion you have to dress minimally to prevent overheating, even so I tend to sweat a lot. If you have to stop for any reason for more than a few minutes, you rapidly get cold. Even without stopping I've sometimes had ice form between my layers.

What I wear for -10C on my fat bike in the snow is about the same as what I wear for up to +10C on my touring bike on bare pavement. The difference in balance between exertion vs self generated wind chill is insane.
Likes For gecho:
Old 11-06-20, 05:15 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
I can't say for sure. But I know that my limit is 1 hour in 15F/-10C temperatures with goggles on. At that point, my eyes start freezing shut even wearing the goggles

Last edited by parkbrav; 11-06-20 at 05:18 PM.
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 11-07-20, 06:12 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Less Assist level, lower speed. Since I ride in the dark sometimes black ice remains.

Last edited by alloo; 11-14-20 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-07-20, 07:04 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
Personally I think you would be safer riding with lower exertion in the cold (though I don't). I say low exertion rather than low speed because on my fat bike I can be riding hard and not going very fast. By necessity under high exertion you have to dress minimally to prevent overheating, even so I tend to sweat a lot. If you have to stop for any reason for more than a few minutes, you rapidly get cold. Even without stopping I've sometimes had ice form between my layers.

What I wear for -10C on my fat bike in the snow is about the same as what I wear for up to +10C on my touring bike on bare pavement. The difference in balance between exertion vs self generated wind chill is insane.
+1
Staying dry is most important. My 70 minute commute involves a strenuous hill so when temps drop into the 40's I do not commute (local rides only). When I have perspiration on my chest induces asthma.
Old 11-11-20, 11:53 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
What is more dangerous? Riding slower (more effort), but longer exposure (time) to the cold or Riding faster but less exposure (time) to the cold? Cold being defined as below freezing. Thank You.
I ride through the winters in Minneapolis and I'll ride temps below -25F. I'll happily do both: ride slower with longer duration and ride fast with shorter duration. It really comes down to the clothing: for slower rides (lower effort) dress warmer; when riding faster (harder effort) dress for venting heat and sweat.

My recent example was a gravel century last month in temps between 25 and 30F, it was a virtual race (results based on Strava) and I was being competitive, so I dressed light. Being a long ride and mostly solo, I'd find myself easing up my effort and feeling the cold in my toes and fingers would kick me in the butt to ride harder to keep the core hotter and keep the toes and fingers comfortable. So, if you're dressed too light for the temps, increase your effort - you'll get where you going quicker for less exposure and you'll keep your core warmer to keep extremities more comfortable.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 11-15-20, 08:47 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 409 Posts
Just want to add to what AlmostTrick alluded to above WRT to getting stopped in the cold due to a flat, and/or other maintenance issues. I learned this the hard way on a ride at 15°F. Depending on the gloves/mittens you’re wearing...it can be almost impossible to get a tire off/on the rim with wearing thick gloves/mittens. If you take the gloves off to accomplish it...you’re hands get real cold real fast and you still can’t get the tire off. I took my cell phone out to call the wife for a pick-up and discovered that I was in a cell dead zone. Since that experience I now try to stay in civilization when riding in real cold temps so that if I have to stop I can see refuge in an emergency.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_: