Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Any concerns with Used Thule Chariot bike trailers?

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Old 11-24-20, 09:40 AM
psychoanalyst

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Hello All,

My wife and I had twins this year (they are almost 10 months now) and I can't wait to go riding with them. I started looking at bike trailers and I think the Thule Chariot series is the most ideal for me. But the latest models are well beyond my financial reach so I started looking at the used market.
I came across a Chariot Cougar 2 (which is supposedly the prior version of the Chariot Cross 2) which comes with the jogging and biking kit that looks awesome, but given that my twins will be in it, I am wondering if there are any safety concerns with used bike trailers I need to be aware of. The seller claims that it's barely used and in almost like new condition. I don't care for all the new bells and whistles of the latest models, but safety is my utmost concern. Does Thule still support replacement parts on discontinued models?
Also: any estimates of what is a good price? The new models cost > $1000, but given that it's an older model, I don't know what a good offer is.
Many thanks.
Avi
Old 11-24-20, 10:29 AM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
I don't have any dealings with this particular model of child trailer but I can tell you I've used several different brands of child trailer and converted them to "utility trailers" over the year and they have ALL held up well hauling loads!! From the Wal-Mart specials to the last which was a used, older top of one of lines model so I don't think I'd worry about buying a used one as long as it's solid looking and has no damage. The overall parts are pretty standard and you can usually find replacements that will work just fine. My recommendation for price $200 to $250 MAX for a used high end child trailer in very good to excellent shape. JMHO, YMMV, have a excellent day!

Old 11-24-20, 10:45 AM
psychoanalyst

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
I don't have any dealings with this particular model of child trailer but I can tell you I've used several different brands of child trailer and converted them to "utility trailers" over the year and they have ALL held up well hauling loads!! From the Wal-Mart specials to the last which was a used, older top of one of lines model so I don't think I'd worry about buying a used one as long as it's solid looking and has no damage. The overall parts are pretty standard and you can usually find replacements that will work just fine. My recommendation for price $200 to $250 MAX for a used high end child trailer in very good to excellent shape. JMHO, YMMV, have a excellent day!
Thanks so much for the valuable feedback. I am negotiating with the seller right now, but I think we might be stuck at $350. It doesn't appear to be too unfair given that it comes with the bike and jogging attachments which alone cost quite a bit.

Still thinking.
Likes For psychoanalyst:
Old 04-05-21, 11:32 AM
psychoanalyst

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
FYI for others with the same question: I ended up purchasing the trailer and it's one heck of a bike trailer! Totally recommend it.

But in addition to use a bike trailer, if you want to use it as a standard stroller, make sure you get the stroller kit...the jogging kit is a major pain to use if all you are doing is strolling.
Likes For psychoanalyst:
Old 04-22-21, 02:40 AM
ropetwitch

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks for the update. How was your twins, expert riding the bike already like daddy? Did I get it right, the Chariot Cougar 2 is what you bought?
Old 04-22-21, 10:05 AM
psychoanalyst

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ropetwitch
Thanks for the update. How was your twins, expert riding the bike already like daddy? Did I get it right, the Chariot Cougar 2 is what you bought?
Yeah...I ended up getting the Cougar 2. Paid more that expected (including the purchase of the stroller kit), but I think it's a good buy.

I am really enjoying it so far, but the issue is with twins (especially boy and girl), there is so much fighting between them that I end up riding with just the one kid!! The other thing I am looking for a solution for is sleep comfort. My son tends to fall asleep when I take him in the afternoon, but there is no head support on that thing. I am currently trying an airplane pillow that wraps around his head, but he hates it.
Old 04-24-21, 09:31 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
I wish I’d seen this sooner and could relate how great our Burley Encore has been, first with the twins (now 5-1/2) and now with our youngest (2). It sounds like you got a good deal and are happy with your trailer.

Our twins always got on pretty well in the jogger. Up to a point. It helped to bring along books and toys and snacks for them to share.
Old 05-02-21, 10:13 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
We had a Croozer double - not twins, but kids are 19 months apart. We used it a lot, for a long time. Every trip to the park, taking the oldest to school - even stuffing his bike into the cargo area when he didn't want to bike himself anymore.

Enjoy!
Old 05-13-21, 05:09 AM
ropetwitch

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by psychoanalyst
Yeah...I ended up getting the Cougar 2. Paid more that expected (including the purchase of the stroller kit), but I think it's a good buy.

I am really enjoying it so far, but the issue is with twins (especially boy and girl), there is so much fighting between them that I end up riding with just the one kid!! The other thing I am looking for a solution for is sleep comfort. My son tends to fall asleep when I take him in the afternoon, but there is no head support on that thing. I am currently trying an airplane pillow that wraps around his head, but he hates it.
That's so challenging bro. Be alert always and watch your kids carefully to avoid accidents =)