Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do you really feel you're younger as a result of Bicycling?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-21, 08:43 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I remember back to when I was 24, visiting an Aunt who was mid-90's. I had to wait for her as she was on a walk on the beach; a former competitive athlete, she had always been in shape. When she came in, we were talking about stuff and she mentioned 'You know, I don't feel old. I feel like I'm 25. It's only the world that seems me at 95". That stuck; I had always assumed older people felt older.
Now myself, I'm not 95, though i am starting to get on a bit. I still feel young; but lately I'm also feeling my age too. I little harder to spring up from the floor; a little harder to lose the winter fat.
But when I ride; yeah.. I'm 25.
Likes For IronM:
Old 01-19-21, 08:49 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
Oh, yeah! When I ride my 66 Holdsworth. Typhoon that is set up as a single speed path racer, I feel like I‘m 13 and riding my Elgin three speed. I’m still doing 50 miles per week.
My doctor says that I’m his healthiest patient in my age group, mid 70s. I have low blood pressure, I only weigh 10 lbs more than when I graduated from HS and was in excellent condition. Of course, it’s shifted a bit and have the wrinkles of the age group.

As Einstein said, “ Life is like riding a bicycle, you have to keep moving to stay upright.”

Cheers,
Van
Awesome!
A few years ago I had some heart issues & had to do a stress test. They hooked me up, put me on the treadmill and told me to go until I couldn't. So I did. The kept ramping up the incline & pace. But the thing was, it was in a tiny room without out a fan. After a while, I asked the nurse if I could stop as I was getting rather hot. Later, when reviewing the test results, the doctor looked concerned and told me "It's a good thing you stopped when you did." Uh Oh.. "Why is that, Doctor?" "Because if you kept going, you would've broken our machine. Only one person has tested better in this office, and he was a 24-yr old baseball player"
Likes For IronM:
Old 01-19-21, 09:33 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
At 72 I regularly get told I look in my 50s, but it wasn't until I started riding again this summer (after more than a decade of not commuting as I had in the past) from Covid spare time and started riding farther than I'd been commuting that I actually started feeling like 50s. Blood pressure, pulse are both better. I've lost a little weight, but a lot of bulk as stomach fat turned to leg muscle. My feet were starting to complain when I took walks, but that seems to have gone away, too. My wife is very vocal about her delight. Yea, biking!
Old 01-20-21, 01:15 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I think I feel and look younger because I ride. And I know plenty of people 10, 20, 30+ years younger than me that can't do the things I do. I have friends with high school kids who couldn't do a 20 mile bike ride on their best day. It makes me sad. Hopefully they will have a moment in early adulthood where biking or hiking or something physical sounds like fun and they get hooked on it
Old 01-21-21, 09:40 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
I'm as young as I want to be when I ride. Don't mind the ladies passing on the straight, but hate it when the guys do. Uphill is where I like to be. There are loads around where I live. Covid or not, I go up 'em. Haven't got COVID by the way, as far as I know . . .hope yer all keeping good and doin what the Gov tell you . . .
Old 01-23-21, 12:05 PM
rut3556

Bikes: 2021 Giant Escape 2 Disc

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
I'm soon to be 79 and ride a Lemond Zurich. Perhaps it's time to consider a hybrid of some sort.
Old 01-23-21, 08:56 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by rut3556
I'm soon to be 79 and ride a Lemond Zurich. Perhaps it's time to consider a hybrid of some sort.
That's a triathlon bike. Hope you find the time to post a picture someday. Maybe you can put off the hybrid until you are 91.
Old 01-24-21, 08:53 AM
rut3556

Bikes: 2021 Giant Escape 2 Disc

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Well, I can assure you I'm no triathlete and never was. I bought the Zurich new in 2002 after having had a Buenos Aires, and it still looks pretty much new. At my age it's probably more bike than I need, so I may just sell it off to someone who can put it to good use, and pick up something a bit "tamer." Trek FX series perhaps?

Last edited by rut3556; 01-24-21 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-24-21, 09:02 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
I have always considered myself a hip dude, always keep up with new music, just don’t understand how someone can listen to the same music since high school. I was a skater, a bmxer, a rave promoter (hard to believe that was almost 30 years ago) so I have always felt young. However with cycling, I have lost 20 pounds and my body is tight and probably looks better than I did in my 20’s plus the fact I lifted weights the past 5 years, now slim 6’2 183 pounds, I feel great and everyone says “you don’t look 50+”. So yes I feel younger thanks to cycling! 🚴‍♀️
Old 01-25-21, 03:01 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
The other night I was driving my 12 year old daughter home from Music Lessons. A big Dodge Ram King Cab , the curse of all Bikers. was behind our car .
About five feet behind me, with big LED headlights that blind you and make your mirrors unuseable. Its lights were so bright, I couldn't use my passenger side mirror to switch lanes.
I finally caught a glimpse of the empty lane and switched lanes.
I said "Charlotte, that guy was pretty rude. What if someone old was driving this car?.They might have panicked." Then I realized the irony of what I said. I'm almost 60 but I visualize myself at 40. just as many of you do.
A lot of that is because of Bicycling.
Regular cycling has always made me feel older.
I am 55 and in great shape but I visualize myself at 75, as do most of my friends and co-workers.
As far as driving a vehicle is concerned I would think a young, inexperienced driver would be just as apt to panic.
Especially if they were around 37 but visualized themselves at 17
Old 01-26-21, 12:50 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Part one of my thoughts.
I'm an young one here on this forum, having turned 50 just last September.
I rode a bit in my teens, felt great then. Really skinny then too
Joined USMC after HS at age 18, got out 9 years later.
For 6 years, I didn't do anything. I gained 30lbs and became out of shape. I remember how I felt then. Sluggish, hard to catch my breath on a flight of stairs. Could hardly push my daughter in a stroller up Clingman's dome. How did I let this happen...
At age 35, I discovered the bike again, and 15 years later, I feel great. In summer, at the peak of my annual fitness, I feel nearly invincible. But...I remember how I felt those years after leaving the Corps. I feel younger now that I did during those 7 years.

Part two of my thoughts
I ride with my local randonneur group. When some of these guys tell me their ages, I do a double take. "You're how old??? Thought you were easily younger than that!". Guys like Dragi and Jerry.
They inspire and amaze me. Being that age, I would have thought people would slow way down. Not these guys. They pull me sometimes! And they surely do not look their age.
Old 01-26-21, 08:29 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts

Not as much as I used to.
Old 01-27-21, 09:29 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,633 Times in 944 Posts
I feel younger as a result of bicycling. But no, I don't feel that I am younger.

OTOH. Inside my mind sometimes I'm still that kid in HS exploring the streets. Sometimes the slightly more serious college kid riding to school and work. Those were long days!
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 01-28-21, 09:19 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
"Younger"? No. Healthier than someone my age has any right to be? Probably.
Old 01-29-21, 07:15 AM
YellaFella

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7; Trek FX Sport 6

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Without a doubt. Since I started riding regularly three years ago, my body now feels like it "needs" that daily activity. If I don't get it, I get cranky...
Likes For YellaFella:
Old 02-02-21, 09:24 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
I started racing mountain bikes in 1995 and raced continuously until 2012/13 after my youngest grandson was born (2011). While I was racing and riding, I'd tell people about my grandson and they would always tell me that I was too young to have a grandchild. It was flattering, and I liked it. I quit racing which turned into quitting riding. I started shooing skeet competitively and gained a lot of weight. Now people don't mention that I'm too young to have grandchildren when I talk about them, as I look my age of 53. I'm hoping to reverse that now that I'm back on the bike. I just registered for a solo 24 hour mountain bike race the 1st weekend in June, so I have motivation to get back into shape.
Old 02-14-21, 08:42 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I've been around 60 years; that's undeniable. I'm as old as I am.

I have a hard time relating to people my age, don't do most of the things people my age do, don't look how most people my age look, and don't feel so different today than I did at 40. And I think my lifelong hobby of cycling is a big part of why.
This. You don't stop playing because you get old. You get old because you stop playing.
Likes For Outrider1: