Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Did you start a new diet with the new year?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-21, 12:39 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

I won't say that a started a new diet, but just restarted a diet. I've put on weight and it's been in the back of my mind that I need to do something about it. However, I didn't start the diet on purpose... it started accidently, and I've kept it up. For Christmas, we bought ourselves a new Traeger wood pellet burning grill. I enjoy cooking on it and food turns out delicious.

I am diabetic and I know I am insulin resistant. I have to really watch my carb intake. Low carb for many people is under 100g carbs per day - that amount of carbs requires be to take boat loads of insulin, which in return packs on the weight. With my "new" diet, I'm watching carbs... less than 20g per day. Keto would be the perfect diet, but I have difficulty eating 80-90 percent fat for my diet. So, I would say I'm doing a keto/low carb combo diet. For weight loss, it's working. Down 10 lbs since Christmas. For diabetes? I'm taking a lot less insuling, but protein also raises blood sugars. I've got to get back to some exercise (cycling, resistance training) to combat that. I feel like I'm getting my energy level back - it was tough for about 10 days. I have about 60lbs to go to hit my goal.

What is your "new" diet? Is it working? Are you finding it difficult? How does it affect your exercise and energy levels? I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences.
Old 01-09-21, 01:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
I can't think about a New Year's diet until I've finished all the fruitcake and eggnog....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-10-21, 05:45 AM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
I've eaten more ice cream in the last 10 days than I did in the last 6 months....got to stop !!!
Likes For 257 roberts:
Old 01-10-21, 08:29 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
I've eaten more ice cream in the last 10 days than I did in the last 6 months....got to stop !!!
I'm a fool for ice cream, can't keep it in the house.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-10-21, 09:47 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Started Keto last week. So far so good, down 5#. I don’t get cravings for sweets so it’s mostly cutting bread, pastas, heavy beer, and processed food. Beer is the tough one but Busch Light is OK and low in carbs.

ive done Keto before and it’s the only diet I’ve found that works for me. I hope to stay on it at least to March where I start putting in longer rides that I need carbs on.
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 01-10-21, 12:45 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I didn't start a diet per say been on that for 18 months but started a new training plan. Its been kicking my rear too. Build me up on Zwift is a burner!
Old 01-10-21, 03:03 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
I did before new year. Cutting out bad foods in one thing . Eating slowly is most important
Likes For Moisture:
Old 01-11-21, 11:26 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
I'm not doing a "thing" as a diet but the New Year is a great time to reset yourself. I did that and am basically just cleaning up my food intake. Incentives are a dangerous thing (unsustainable) but that's what I did. I have something I won't allow myself to do until I get down to a healthier bodyfat %.
Old 01-11-21, 04:26 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
I've been fat for a while. If I was skinny I might give some advice...but why listen to a ****** (still) like me. I got nothing.

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited by aplcr0331; 04-29-21 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-21-21, 06:26 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Last year I started attempting Keto and Intermittent Fasting (changing it to Time Restricted feeding) in January and had problems with sticking to it. In late May I was developing some issues with my right leg that led to a trip to the ER thinking it was possibly a blood clot (it was not) and had subsequent trips to doctors that ALSO led me to being put on high blood pressure meds. I'm 25 (24 at the time) and after being told I'd need to take the blood pressure meds as well as change my diet to a "low salt DASH diet", on top of the medical bills that I racked up, I got the kick I needed to actually go all in on changing my eating habits

I fully committed to doing Keto & IF despite what my doctor told me (cause I knew their "recommendation" wasn't gonna work). I did it consistently from June to October, and I also implemented prolonged fasting. I did a 5 day fast in August and in September I pushed to nearly 2 weeks fasting. That along with Keto helped me to lose a great deal of weight. Had some life changes that made it hard for me to stick to Keto from October to the end of the year, but now I'm looking to get back into it. I even did a ~70 hr fast that I started Sunday evening and broke yesterday. I was trying to do a week long but I was having too strong cravings that led to bad stress at work.

Well so far I'm at roughly 290 lbs which is down from ~365 lbs from back in June. My energy and sleep are consistent now - I don't feel like I have crashes during the day and I wake up feeling really refreshed. Also it's amazing riding my bike when I'm ~75 lbs lighter. Hell I used to ride my bike at school when I was hovering around 390 lbs plus carrying around my schoolbooks. Oh yeah to answer your question: No, but I went back to the diet I started last year
Old 01-21-21, 06:33 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
In Ireland, because the govt decided it'd be fun to allow everyone to do whatever they wanted over Christmas holidays, in a global pandemic, we're all currently in LOCKDOWN because COVID is out of control in the community.

So... my "diet" now includes a healthy dose of fruit salad.

Actually, it's just grapes...
... and they're fermented.

Yeah, wine.

So do what you like, and what makes you feel good. If being healthy (or healthier) feels good, do that. But let's not get caught up too much in all that.

Everybody's gonna die someday, whether it's in a palace, or a shack; if you're fat, or thin; if you're rich, or poor. Doesn't matter. Have fun NOW!
Old 01-23-21, 09:19 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Yup, its called covid positive diet
Old 02-01-21, 11:41 AM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
I started my weight loss journey at the end of November 2020. I had Gastric Sleeve surgery and I'm down from 273 pounds down to 219, I've lost 54 pounds since starting the preparation for Bariatric surgery back in May 2020. I'm now 10 weeks post op and down two full pant sizes and have already cut my blood pressure meds in half and returned my Cpap machine as I don't need it anymore, along with the permanent life change with food, my eating now is controlled by the size of my stomach and making some huge changes into what goes into my mouth. I've successfully cut out all highly processed packaged foods, no more soda or any carbonated beverages for that matter, no more Alcohol either but I was never much of a drinker to begin with. I'm getting about 65-80 grams of protein a day, low fat, low carb, no refined sugars and my food portions are super small. After dealing with a weight problem my entire life, I decided at 52 years old to opt for the Gastric Sleeve surgery after having many friends have successful and permanent weight loss and permanent healthy eating changes with the surgery.
Old 02-01-21, 02:33 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by tpadul
I started my weight loss journey at the end of November 2020. I had Gastric Sleeve surgery and I'm down from 273 pounds down to 219, I've lost 54 pounds since starting the preparation for Bariatric surgery back in May 2020. I'm now 10 weeks post op and down two full pant sizes and have already cut my blood pressure meds in half and returned my Cpap machine as I don't need it anymore, along with the permanent life change with food, my eating now is controlled by the size of my stomach and making some huge changes into what goes into my mouth. I've successfully cut out all highly processed packaged foods, no more soda or any carbonated beverages for that matter, no more Alcohol either but I was never much of a drinker to begin with. I'm getting about 65-80 grams of protein a day, low fat, low carb, no refined sugars and my food portions are super small. After dealing with a weight problem my entire life, I decided at 52 years old to opt for the Gastric Sleeve surgery after having many friends have successful and permanent weight loss and permanent healthy eating changes with the surgery.
You should be very proud of yourself. Congratulations on your initial achievement. Youre only just getting started.

Low fat and low carb is a big mistake.

Eat very small mouthfuls at a time. Chew it slowly and leave it in your mouth until the saliva gets a chance to fully break down the food. This is the single most effective way to accurately gsuge desired caloric intake. You will burn fat very fast.
Old 02-01-21, 02:48 PM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Low fat and low carb is a big mistake.
I'm working with the registered bariatric dietician for the first year post op so the Bariatric center is helping me with that to make sure it is healthy. They suggest that for at least the first 6 months post op, I'm eating carbs just not like I was before and they are helping me choose the right kind of carbs and the right kind of healthy fats. I've read the negatives of a both low fat and low carb diet and it can be done safely for a while especially if working with the registered dietician. My wife and I are doing this together and she is 3 weeks post op now, and once she gets to the full food stage we are probably going to subscribe to one of the plant based meal plan programs that sends you food already prepared and try those out for a while. We will still eat meat and dairy but probably cut out most red meats for good and focus on poultry and fish/seafood more. We have several plant based whole food healthy eating cook books and a few geared for bariatric patients. It is exciting and I can't believe already the difference I feel in having lost 54 pounds already.
Likes For tpadul:
Old 02-02-21, 07:39 PM
decotriumph 

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 15 Posts
Three years ago, I went on the Whole 30 program (Home - The Whole30® Program), which is not really advertised as a weight loss deal, but many participants do lose weight. I lost 30 pounds (290 to 260), but I've gained 10 of it back. Yesterday, I started another Whole 30 regimen. I'm hoping to drop 15-20, including the 10 I gained back, which would put me at 250-255. Then when the weather warms up enough that I can ride again, I hope to drop a dozen or so more. If I could be down to 225 by next fall, I'd be a happy man (with new clothes!).

Likes For decotriumph:
Old 02-09-21, 10:43 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Didnt START a new one but have vowed to revisit one that i know works and make it stick
Likes For DMC707:
Old 02-14-21, 09:27 AM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Watching my weight again since January. Man all that eggnog really piled the pounds on. Actually I had to get some dental work so I was off my bike for most of november and well, the holidays. It wasn't a lot of dental work but the dentist couldn't see me till three weeks later. That and the holidays = + 10lbs. Not too strict on my diet but I'm trying to remind myself if I stick to it, hypothetically it should work... I'd really like to go below my lowest recorded weight which was two years ago. Scale tells me I've dropped 4 or 5 lbs since New Year's so there's some promise there.