Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

29 plus Wheelset for 350 LBS? (Surly Krampus)

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 01-26-21, 07:04 PM
TourDeHood

Bikes: Surly Midnight Special, All-City Big Block, Surly Karate Monkey (sold), Kona Jake(gone)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I things I’m going to pull the trigger on a Krampus complete. I’d like to get a good strong versatile wheelset to swap in.

thoughts?
Old 01-28-21, 09:21 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Maybe look at ebike rated wheels. They're usually rated for more weight due to their more robust build to cope with the elec motor torque
Old 01-29-21, 10:10 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Have your shop hand tension the stock rear wheel and ride it.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 01-29-21, 12:25 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by TourDeHood
I things I’m going to pull the trigger on a Krampus complete. I’d like to get a good strong versatile wheelset to swap in.

thoughts?
Velocity Cliffhanger rims (36 hole front, 40 hole rear) and Sapim Strong spokes.
Prowheelbuilder.com can build that.

Pick your price point on 40 hole hubs: https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/hubs...y/40-hole.html
Old 01-30-21, 03:03 PM
Zoxe

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Bianchi Imola, Surly Cross Check 105, Twin6 Standard TI FSU

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
+1 on trying the stock rim with a conversation from a good wheelbuilder.

Here's my story:
In 2008, we were getting started riding; I was 285# and the rear rim of my Giant Cypress DX started popping spokes not long after buying at a large/fancy bike shop where I felt like I wasn't the target audience. There was a smaller shop a mile or so from work, so after reading here on BF.net C&A folder, went there and expected to have a conversation about building up a tandem wheel.

An older gentleman, graying beard and a well worn apron said: "We can do that if you want, of course, but let me try to rebuild this for you and see if you come back." He replaced all spokes with a more robust profile (with a brand that now eludes me), used my stock rim and hub, and made sure everything was properly tensioned and trued. I got a few tips about how to mount and dismount safely (both feet on the ground, straddle the bike, do NOT push off and then swing a leg over while rolling). While the bike has been mothballed the last many years, I never had to go back.

(However, I /did/ buy my NEXT bike there as they'd earned my business).
Likes For Zoxe:
Old 01-31-21, 07:33 PM
dfritch

Bikes: Cervelo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

thoughts?
i’ve riden Velocity hard both on the road and off-road weighing 400 pounds. I trust them completely and they will custom make them to your specs.

https://www.velocityusa.com/
Old 01-31-21, 09:47 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Doubt you will need to go 40h, 36 should be sufficient but go with a butted spoke that is 13g at the elbow. Something like the cliffhanger as mentioned above will help a lot though for true plus size tires you might need to look at the blunt 35. Just pair it to a good hub. Personally if I'm building wheels as an upgrade I will start with an XT hub for MTB/Cross/Gravel; shimano doesn't make "wow" factor hubs but the XT or XTR are top quality and reliable. They are built to a better standard and worth the extra money though at XTR pricing I'd start looking at White Industry perhaps.
Old 02-01-21, 11:38 AM
huffman 

Bikes: Niner Jet 9 • Santa Cruz 5010 • Litespeed Watia

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Velocity Cliffhanger rims (36 hole front, 40 hole rear) and Sapim Strong spokes.
Prowheelbuilder.com can build that.

Pick your price point on 40 hole hubs: https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/hubs...y/40-hole.html
I'll second Pro Wheel Builders, great people, willing to talk with you to find out exactly what you need. I had them rebuild a AC Wide Lightning rear hoop with a Hope hub. After several years of hard use & abuse it's still perfectly straight.
Old 02-01-21, 11:57 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I wonder if you might be better off with a bike made for loaded touring like an ECR.

DT Swiss's "Hybrid" line of wheels is, in spite of its name, for e-bikes. They have strengthened versions of the hubs with thicker shells and steel freehubs as well as stronger spokes. The 1700 wheelset has 350 hub,s 28-spoke wheels and 30mm rims that are a little skinny for plus tires (2.8 or 3 in), but would be fine with 2.4-2.6 tires. The more premium 1501 version has triple butted spokes and 240 hubs. I've been following this stuff because E-MTB stuff has found favor for MTB tandem use; MTBTandems makes plus wheels based on the 36 spoke high flange version of the 350 hybrid hub.

On the other hand availability of anything this year might be difficult.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-01-21 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-07-21, 10:40 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Like some guys said, try your wheels...you may never have an issue, give it a good couple rides, run her up to a trusted shop with a wheel guy and let him check spokes....I'd try this before dumping a grand on a set of wheels
Likes For Chad991:
Old 02-10-21, 09:06 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
When I started riding, I was 375 and was riding on a Trek 7300 hybrid that had the stock wheels which were 32 spoke box rims. Nothing to write home about. I rode them as I lost my first 50 lbs. I had an issue with a few spokes, but the shop hooked me up and re-spoked with better spokes and did not have an issues with the wheels after that. I eventually decided to lighten up the bike a little and got a set of Velocity Deep V's which were fantastic. I agree with others, have the shop check the wheels and ride them first. You might be surprised.

Old 02-15-21, 04:50 PM
TourDeHood

Bikes: Surly Midnight Special, All-City Big Block, Surly Karate Monkey (sold), Kona Jake(gone)

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thx guys. I’m just going to ride the stock stuff and cross my fingers till it calls for my attention
Likes For TourDeHood:
Old 02-16-21, 02:23 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
Thx guys. I’m just going to ride the stock stuff and cross my fingers till it calls for my attention
I believe that you will be riding a LOT before/if you have any problems