Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

New Salsa Marrakesh

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

New Salsa Marrakesh

Old 01-30-21, 06:38 PM
ndrose

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
New Salsa Marrakesh

While waiting for bike shops to actually have bikes for sale again, one of the bikes at the top of my fantasy buying list has been the Salsa Marrakesh.

This week the new Marrakesh appeared on the Salsa website, and I have to say I find it confusing. In the last year or two they had dropped down from Deore to Sora components, which I had understood as a necessary compromise so they could change from barends to brifters.

This year the barends are back, but they have made what looks like a lateral move (at best?) from Sora to Alivio.

Curious what others think. Is there some design improvement I’m missing, or is it a downgrade?

Or maybe they are just working with what they can get from suppliers in the pandemic?
Old 01-31-21, 07:49 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 220 Posts
Really it could be anything. People who tour with these classic style steel touring bikes tend to be a curmudgeonly bunch of old fashioned retro grouches who think in terms of reliability and repairability. Touring made me one before I turned 30...

Anyway many of these people tend to be suspicious of brifters, thinking of them as unreliable and prone to malfunctions. You also cannot repair one on the road. A bar end shifter is as simple as shifters go so even if you lose indexing or the friction element you can usually bodge something together until you get a new barend shifter.

Personally I'm getting the new Sora 3x9 for my Disc Trucker. The 9-speed shimano is the last shimano generation which allows a complete mix and match of road and mountain components. So getting the sora brifters doesn't force one to use road components.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 02-01-21, 02:02 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
How does changing four drivetrain components make it a "new bike"? It is the same bike Salsa has sold for 6 years, with different deraileurs, crank and shifter.
Old 02-01-21, 02:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
If the term "fantasy buying list" is being thrown around and a stock mid level to lower level build is on it, I want to see other "fantasy" lists.

Coffee list: Dunkin Donuts Dunkachinco, Starbucks latté
Clothing list: Hanes 3 pack, free event shirt
Restaurant list: Sizzler, Applebees

Dream big! The Marrakesh frame isn't bad and would be a fun build but a stock build like that is not really a good fantasy. It is the same bike with different parts on it and honestly none of those part lists are that exciting and nothing I would fantasize about. Nothing absolutely terrible but nothing all that great. That is why building your own bike is so rewarding, you get what you want on it and don't need to replace something right away because you don't like it or live with it because it is working and no need to change a working part.
Old 02-02-21, 08:54 PM
ndrose

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Haha, if it’s that kind of fantasy maybe I’d think about a Co-motion or Waterford build.

But I only mean it’s a fantasy because nobody has anything in stock. Bike shopping is still like going to the store last year when buying Charmin was a fantasy because the only thing on the shelf was two rolls of Bulgarian toilet paper.
Old 02-03-21, 11:50 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Anyway many of these people tend to be suspicious of brifters, thinking of them as...
...potentially in conflict with handlebar bags, sausage rolls, front-loaders, baskets and/or rack-top dunnage.
Old 02-09-21, 08:44 PM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
@ndrose enjoy.
I got one a few years ago and unfortunately, I have yet to take a maiden trip.
Old 02-10-21, 06:43 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
Originally Posted by ndrose
While waiting for bike shops to actually have bikes for sale again, one of the bikes at the top of my fantasy buying list has been the Salsa Marrakesh.

This week the new Marrakesh appeared on the Salsa website, and I have to say I find it confusing. In the last year or two they had dropped down from Deore to Sora components, which I had understood as a necessary compromise so they could change from barends to brifters.

This year the barends are back, but they have made what looks like a lateral move (at best?) from Sora to Alivio.

Curious what others think. Is there some design improvement I’m missing, or is it a downgrade?

Or maybe they are just working with what they can get from suppliers in the pandemic?
really good point.
I wonder if Alivio has now gotten the techno gizmos quality wise that Deore used to have. As a Deore user for 30 years, the stuff just always was good, basic, lasted a fricken long time and could be bought anywhere in the world if needed. So maybe alivio is like that now. To us oldies, Alivio certainly has a cheapo aspect to it, buuuuuuuut we have old Alivio shod bikes and it just keeps on working.
I'd still rather take a Deore 10 speed setup if using barends, I realize deore wont work with sti's, so Alivio was probably a budget price thing? Although who knows, maybe it was a "get what the hell you could" thing, ---oh, and also 10 spd bar ends probably dont work with Dynasys 10 spd stuff, ie a Deore 10 spd RD....so theres that....
Old 02-12-21, 08:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by ndrose
Haha, if it’s that kind of fantasy maybe I’d think about a Co-motion or Waterford build.

But I only mean it’s a fantasy because nobody has anything in stock. Bike shopping is still like going to the store last year when buying Charmin was a fantasy because the only thing on the shelf was two rolls of Bulgarian toilet paper.
Go for it. Co-Motion and Waterford can probably build you a bike where a lot of folks QBP included are having a tough time getting bikes. I love my Co-Motion and would highly recommend them. Also love Waterford and have a co-worker who has two or three of them and a few former co-workers who own them as well and love them. I want the Giant Steps one Richard built for Dave the owner at River City but I know that would never be sold and I wouldn't dare ask Dave. However I may ask Richard to build me something similar though maybe a different song (nothing against Giant Steps).

Live life to the fullest live the dream.