Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Lowering my top tube via changing out bottom headset component

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Lowering my top tube via changing out bottom headset component

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-21, 05:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I just want to say that this is the most interesting BF thread I've read in the last five years. Kudos to all contributors. To @StirFry - I really like both of your bikes. Sorry that the top tube angle bothers you so much. It's a good looking bike, and I'd bet that it rides just as you had imagined that it would.

Anyway, terrific discussion. I even learned what "edgelording" is, although I'm unsure where I can ever use that nugget. Carry on...
Yeah same here but now I really want to use it. I have a feeling StirFry had the same feeling. It is like being a kid and hearing the F-word or S-word for the first time and can't wait to use it at school and impress the other kids (granted this was not me actually, though I am quite fluent in French and Sailor )

I do want to start a metal/hardcore/punk band called Edgelord but I am sure someone has already beat me to the punch and I honestly don't want to deal with a band. I tried in high school and we just never got anywhere, each week we tried a new song and forgot the old one and I think usually devolved into playing Monopoly the wrong way or some silliness.
Old 02-17-21, 08:18 PM
StirFry

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I just want to say that this is the most interesting BF thread I've read in the last five years. Kudos to all contributors. To @StirFry - I really like both of your bikes. Sorry that the top tube angle bothers you so much. It's a good looking bike, and I'd bet that it rides just as you had imagined that it would.

Anyway, terrific discussion. I even learned what "edgelording" is, although I'm unsure where I can ever use that nugget. Carry on...

It has been rather stagnant around here for a number of years now hasn't it?
Likes For StirFry:
Old 02-18-21, 10:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by StirFry

It has been rather stagnant around here for a number of years now hasn't it?
I've been online chatting with babes all day, besides you know I've been training to be a cage fighter
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-18-21, 10:59 PM
StirFry

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I've been online chatting with babes all day, besides you know I've been training to be a cage fighter

I found a canondale slice premium carbon fiber fork on ebay that I just put a bid on ($49). 43mm rake and a supposed a-t-c length of 362mm, which appears to be as short as they come. If it doesn't work out, I'll just be happy with what I have, but at least I'll know that I gave it a shot.
Old 02-19-21, 10:38 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I found a canondale slice premium carbon fiber fork on ebay that I just put a bid on ($49). 43mm rake and a supposed a-t-c length of 362mm, which appears to be as short as they come. If it doesn't work out, I'll just be happy with what I have, but at least I'll know that I gave it a shot.
Hopefully the fork is in good shape and has no issues and also is not tapered (as many of my carbon forks happen to be meaning they are mostly useless for me at the moment). If it is then $49 isn't a bad way to go to try a new fork.

If nothing else just make yourself a dang quesadilla!
Old 02-19-21, 03:41 PM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
I can't believe I just read this entire thread.
Old 02-19-21, 03:45 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
It is mainly aesthetics lol. One of my main requests when we were discussing the build initially was my desire to have a parallel TT, which it doesn't have. What can I say, I'm a detail oriented person and after spending this much money and time trying to get this built, it's a bit annoying to say the least as I intend to have this bike for a very long time and it is somewhat a personal purchase for me. It also seems that it is off by almost exactly the amount of thickness of my headset which makes me wonder if he forgot to plan around it.
I wish my life was in such a position that _this_ is what I was worried about. Kudos to you!

Sounds like all you really need to do is let 5psi of air out of your front tire. Boom. TT fixed.
Old 02-19-21, 03:57 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Maybe cut 1/4” off the bottom end of the headtube?
Likes For dabac:
Old 02-19-21, 05:04 PM
StirFry

Originally Posted by superdex
I wish my life was in such a position that _this_ is what I was worried about. Kudos to you!

Sounds like all you really need to do is let 5psi of air out of your front tire. Boom. TT fixed.

Sorry that your life sucks?
Old 02-19-21, 05:05 PM
StirFry

Originally Posted by franswa
I can't believe I just read this entire thread.

Slow day at work, huh?
Old 02-19-21, 05:25 PM
StirFry

Hopefully the fork is in good shape and has no issues and also is not tapered (as many of my carbon forks happen to be meaning they are mostly useless for me at the moment). If it is then $49 isn't a bad way to go to try a new fork.

If nothing else just make yourself a dang quesadilla!
I just checked and it looks like I never went all the way through with my bid on ebay. Think I'll sit it out and wait for my builder to get back in town so that I can discuss maybe getting a shorter fork made up for me.
Old 02-19-21, 11:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I just checked and it looks like I never went all the way through with my bid on ebay. Think I'll sit it out and wait for my builder to get back in town so that I can discuss maybe getting a shorter fork made up for me.
Just enjoy the bike...unless you are getting the fork at a highly reduced cost and it will actually solve the minor issue you have!

I gotta wonder if while you are riding you notice it at all?
Old 02-20-21, 09:01 AM
StirFry

Just enjoy the bike...unless you are getting the fork at a highly reduced cost and it will actually solve the minor issue you have!

I gotta wonder if while you are riding you notice it at all?
I actually do think about it. What can I say, I'm just wired to be a detail oriented person. It's the trait that has made it possible for me to afford a custom fitted bike in the first place. Why should only the people I work for benefit from it, but not me? I throw energy and money at **** until I'm happy with it, and as long as it's not hurting anyone, I don't see what the fuss is.

I wouldn't walk into a bike shop and want to check out bikes that didn't catch my eye in the first place. And this especially goes for one that only is appointed with only one gearing option.

And I'm not even asking to get it absolutely perfectly level to the ground. If I can even just lower it a 1/4" I'd be a whole lot happier. TBH, the slack does look a tad bit cool to me, but just the way it sits right now just has a smidge too much rake in it for me to really be satisfied with it. I wanted a tarcky bike, and I tarcky bike is what I shall have, damnit

Last edited by StirFry; 02-20-21 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-20-21, 12:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I actually do think about it. What can I say, I'm just wired to be a detail oriented person. It's the trait that has made it possible for me to afford a custom fitted bike in the first place. Why should only the people I work for benefit from it, but not me? I throw energy and money at **** until I'm happy with it, and as long as it's not hurting anyone, I don't see what the fuss is.

I wouldn't walk into a bike shop and want to check out bikes that didn't catch my eye in the first place. And this especially goes for one that only is appointed with only one gearing option.

And I'm not even asking to get it absolutely perfectly level to the ground. If I can even just lower it a 1/4" I'd be a whole lot happier. TBH, the slack does look a tad bit cool to me, but just the way it sits right now just has a smidge too much rake in it for me to really be satisfied with it. I wanted a tarcky bike, and I tarcky bike is what I shall have, damnit
No I get ya but it is so darn close. It is a really good looking bike as is, I wouldn't futz with it.
Likes For veganbikes: