Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bringing a furry friend cycle touring

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 02-16-21, 12:16 PM
LisaG71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

I recently got my hip dysplasia fixed and I want to go bike touring. short weekend trips to start and working up to longer and longer trips.
I pretty much have everything figured out.
what to bring
camp kitchen (yup, I like to cook). Now when i go grocery shopping I am forever finding things I can bring touring with me.
equipment
right down to my 4-legged furry friend (sorry can't add a photo, as I joined yesterday)
Yes, bringing a furry friend along does have disadvantages ... But, if I don't he'd stage a coup! PLUS he is my assistance dog.. A whippet named Dobby
I do plan on buying a trailer so he does not have to jog next to me constantly (they aren't a heavy breed, males weigh about 40 lbs or so). so he'll be able to hang and enjoy the ride, take a nap and some take some scenery in too.

Does anyone bring their dog on touring trips? Breed? Age?
what do you bring for them? other than food.
what I plan to bring for him
a sleeping bag
a sleeping pad
a blanket
bowls
a harness and pack system from ruffwear, extra collar
clothes
boots
extra water
a tie out line
a screw in-ground tie-out
treats
shot records with a copy of rabies certificate.
and his assistance dog gear (vest, leash, head collar)
toys/chews
two dog cycle leashes
looking for an unbrella for him too

Whippets are the fastest accelerating mammal on earth and the 3rd fastest land mammal. For them, to achieve this they have no fat layer and very little hair. So, clothes and other things I have listed are a must. there is also a sport called bikejoring ( https://www.activedogsports.com/what-...t-best-breeds/ ), we are interested in.

anyways.. looking forward to reading about your dog adventures.
Likes For LisaG71:
Old 02-18-21, 01:59 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
CGOAB has a lot of journals by people who had a non human companion for their rides.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 02-18-21, 02:15 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 783 Posts
Folks do it, but just be aware that you'll be schlepping a good 50lbs on top of stuff for you, so it's going to be physically very challenging and hard as heck going up hills. Your bike best have very low gearing.

doable but will limit distances that you can comfortably do and only trying it yourself will actually let you know how it is.
Old 02-18-21, 02:30 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 285 Posts
Congratulations on your recovery 😉.

I've seen it done.

Plan your routes and distances accordingly. You'll more than likely want to use a two wheeled trailer which will put you out farther into the path of cars. Use routes with less traffic and wider shoulders. Use rails to trails and MUPs when possible.

Some routes won't be safe with a two wheeled trailer.
Likes For mtnbud:
Old 02-18-21, 03:25 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
I have a few cats to volunteer if someone would like to expose them to the world of bicycle touring : )
Likes For robow:
Old 02-20-21, 03:13 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
^Yours, Rowbow, or a neighbor's?
Old 02-20-21, 06:17 PM
ricrunner

Bikes: Malvern Star Oppy S1 Gravel

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
As a cyclotourist, that does bring his dog along all the time, in a cheap EBAY trailer( in a new one now), It is very doable. My boy Milo, is an Assistance dog as well. I do carry a lot of weight because of him, but would not have it any other way. The one main, thing that you cannot scrimp on is water. Dog's drink a lot of water, more then you would think. You notice it more when touring with them. So my trips I always have a min. of 20ltres on board, if it is a warm day, and more if it is hot. The most I carry in hot weather is 35 ltres. In cooler weather you can get away a smaller amount though. Another thing, is to think about, stopping every hour, so they can stretch their legs, and pee. They will hold but why make it unenjoyable for them.. You have the right Idea, in what to bring, as you have to make it comfortable for them. I also buy them the best food. It is not cheap, but I get the dog food satches- Royal Canin. Not sure if you can get it or similar in the US, but it is an alround food, that is easier and lighter to carry. I don't let my boy run beside me, as i am worried he would get run over, as well as he is scent driven, he took off once for a roo, and it took me a fair while to get him back. Even though he is trained against to do that , the roo, jumped out a foot in front of him, it, scared him a bit, then he took off after it, across the road against traffic, so I don't run him at all now.. Just get him a comfortable enclosed( with screening) trailer, then you wont need to have an umbrella, it will be much safer for him, due to traffic and other dog's animals . You still have to have a harness and an small lead linked to the trailer inside. It is just an added protection. I use the top of his trailer for a ten watt solar panel, with a small agm battery inside the trailer, to charge all my batteries. I have been doing it for 5 years, and would not tour without him ever. It would not be enjoyable.. Anymore questions just ask.
Likes For ricrunner:
Old 03-01-21, 02:00 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I love riding with my dogs, but longer than 5 or 10 km on the road doesn't seem like too much fun for them. I have heard people's concerns about dogs joints from running at a steady pace, but my dogs all remained spry into old age. The worst thing they have to deal with is occasional blisters on their feet. I have generally had retrievers, and I know sight hounds are born runners so maybe they'd like it more.

I have never tried to carry a dog in a trailer except for one dog I had that got very old and found it more comfortable squeezing between the kids in the Chariot.

If riding on dirt or gravel or single track trails, the bike speed goes down and the interest for the dogs goes up so multiple hours on the mtb trails is preferable to me.
Old 03-01-21, 02:36 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by LisaG71

Whippets are...the 3rd fastest land mammal.
Source?
Old 03-01-21, 03:35 PM
LisaG71

Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by ricrunner
As a cyclotourist, that does bring his dog along all the time, in a cheap EBAY trailer( in a new one now), It is very doable. My boy Milo, is an Assistance dog as well. I do carry a lot of weight because of him, but would not have it any other way. The one main, thing that you cannot scrimp on is water. Dog's drink a lot of water, more then you would think. You notice it more when touring with them. So my trips I always have a min. of 20ltres on board, if it is a warm day, and more if it is hot. The most I carry in hot weather is 35 ltres. In cooler weather you can get away a smaller amount though. Another thing, is to think about, stopping every hour, so they can stretch their legs, and pee. They will hold but why make it unenjoyable for them.. You have the right Idea, in what to bring, as you have to make it comfortable for them. I also buy them the best food. It is not cheap, but I get the dog food satches- Royal Canin. Not sure if you can get it or similar in the US, but it is an alround food, that is easier and lighter to carry. I don't let my boy run beside me, as i am worried he would get run over, as well as he is scent driven, he took off once for a roo, and it took me a fair while to get him back. Even though he is trained against to do that , the roo, jumped out a foot in front of him, it, scared him a bit, then he took off after it, across the road against traffic, so I don't run him at all now.. Just get him a comfortable enclosed( with screening) trailer, then you wont need to have an umbrella, it will be much safer for him, due to traffic and other dog's animals . You still have to have a harness and an small lead linked to the trailer inside. It is just an added protection. I use the top of his trailer for a ten watt solar panel, with a small agm battery inside the trailer, to charge all my batteries. I have been doing it for 5 years, and would not tour without him ever. It would not be enjoyable.. Anymore questions just ask.
​​​​Thanks!
For the info ... Message me anytime.
What I plan to do is let him run beside me on a tether and if it's not safe or inclimate weather have him ride in the trailer. If I want to ride 40 miles , I'm not going to make him run all 40 miles.

Last edited by LisaG71; 03-01-21 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-01-21, 03:41 PM
LisaG71

Originally Posted by djb
Folks do it, but just be aware that you'll be schlepping a good 50lbs on top of stuff for you, so it's going to be physically very challenging and hard as heck going up hills. Your bike best have very low gearing.

doable but will limit distances that you can comfortably do and only trying it yourself will actually let you know how it is.
Planning to take a bike trailer and he will be wearing a pack for small things he will be needing. Such as clothes, rain jacket bowls
Old 03-01-21, 03:50 PM
LisaG71

Common dog knowledge.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Source?
do your OWN research..

Lol
Likes For LisaG71:
Old 03-01-21, 03:52 PM
LisaG71

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
I love riding with my dogs, but longer than 5 or 10 km on the road doesn't seem like too much fun for them. I have heard people's concerns about dogs joints from running at a steady pace, but my dogs all remained spry into old age. The worst thing they have to deal with is occasional blisters on their feet. I have generally had retrievers, and I know sight hounds are born runners so maybe they'd like it more.

I have never tried to carry a dog in a trailer except for one dog I had that got very old and found it more comfortable squeezing between the kids in the Chariot.

If riding on dirt or gravel or single track trails, the bike speed goes down and the interest for the dogs goes up so multiple hours on the mtb trails is preferable to me.
I.am planning to train mine to boots. And have at least 2 sets with me.
Old 03-01-21, 04:00 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
I wonder if a cargo e-bike wouldn't be perfect for this?

Check out this guy's twitter feed, his dog's name is Raven. He lives not far from me. I don't think it's a e-bike, but I've seen loads of them, and would be useful for carrying so much stuff.

https://twitter.com/CitizenW0lf
Old 03-01-21, 04:03 PM
LisaG71

What is CGOAB? I had no luck googling this acronym.
Old 03-01-21, 04:31 PM
ClydeClydeson

Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I.am planning to train mine to boots. And have at least 2 sets with me.
I have bought a couple pairs of boots but never found any where the dog finished a run with all four still on his feet.

LisaG71 CGOAB = Come Get Oak Acorns, Bud
Or it might be Crazy Guy On A Bike
Old 03-01-21, 05:22 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
do your OWN research..

Lol
I did. That is why I asked for your source. Every source I found lists the Springbok as No. 3 behind the cheetah and the pronghorn.

Top speed of a whippet is around 35 mph. 20 mph slower than the springbok.

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/whippet/

Buh-bye.

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-01-21 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-01-21, 06:35 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
...I recently got my hip dysplasia fixed and I want to go bike touring. ...what to bring....camp kitchen.... grocery....equipment....4-legged furry friend....do plan on buying a trailer....males weigh about 40 lbs or so....

what I plan to bring for him....clothes and other things I have listed are a must. ...

so, umm,.......... recovering from hip medical problem (treatment unspecified) and your plan is to cycle long-distance, carrying camping gear, kitchen equipment, clothing, food, tools and spares, trailer, 40-pounds of dog, 40-pounds of doggie gear, 20+ pounds of water, and likely laptop and other electronics plus associated stuffs???

not a good plan. in fact, last time someone had this sort of idea...

"Let me get this straight. You think that your employer, one of the richest men in the world, is spending his nights running around the city beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands? And your plan is to blackmail him? Good luck."

Likes For saddlesores:
Old 04-27-21, 11:53 PM
LisaG71

I did. That is why I asked for your source. Every source I found lists the Springbok as No. 3 behind the cheetah and the pronghorn.

Buh-bye.
A whippet has a TOP speed of 40-45 miles per hour. one of mine was CLOCKED by a police radar gun at 45.
they ARE the 3rd fastest land mammal. cheetah, greyhound, whippet. then everything else.
spring bucks don't run like a cheetah or a dog. they SPRING and HOP. that is not counted as SPEED!
Old 04-27-21, 11:54 PM
LisaG71

Buh-bye.
A whippet has a TOP speed of 40-45 miles per hour. one of mine was CLOCKED by a police radar gun at 45.
they ARE the 3rd fastest land mammal. cheetah, greyhound, whippet. then everything else.
spring bucks don't run like a cheetah or a dog. they SPRING and HOP. that is not counted as SPEED!
I have OWNED whippets for a while now AND am an ANIMAL trainer.
Old 04-28-21, 12:24 AM
LisaG71

Originally Posted by mtnbud
Congratulations on your recovery 😉.

I've seen it done.

Plan your routes and distances accordingly. You'll more than likely want to use a two-wheeled trailer which will put you out farther into the path of cars. Use routes with less traffic and wider shoulders. Use rails to trails and MUPs when possible.

OH and thank you! I am so excited I actually got this fixed. It's almost like I get to start over. Sorry, it's taken me a long time to respond. was busy with another thread AND I am in college. last class is wed. 28 April 2020 for the semester.
Some routes won't be safe with a two wheeled trailer.
I don't plan on going places he can't go. and as he will always need to go (assistance dog), I think I can work around this. there are LOTS of multi-use trails now. and if the road is narrower he can ride in the trailer instead of jogging beside me. Yes, it will be a two-wheeled kid trailer. the dog trailers don't have storage.

Last edited by LisaG71; 04-28-21 at 12:32 AM. Reason: I forgot something
Old 04-28-21, 12:36 AM
LisaG71

Originally Posted by djb

I actually weighed HIS gear and it's less than mine. gives me more room for water and kibble. Thankfully there are small towns everywhere I can buy water at if nessacery, plus my water filters. But, yes. I know I'll be lugging more weight.
Old 04-28-21, 08:38 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
The problem with a dog travelling along with a bike is that the dog will likely be able to go much faster on the climbs and the bike much faster on the descents. I found that for short climbs and mountain biking it was manageable for me and my dogs. I left her home when I toured. Trail running worked out better than biking for us and my current dog and I probably ran close to 20,000 trail miles together (I lost count at 10k miles but we ran for a long time after that). She has also been a great hiking/backpacking companion too.

In my case I am pretty sure my pooch was happier being home with my wife than she would have been cranking out long miles on the road for months at a time, so she stayed home when I toured.

On the road and in country with very long climbs and descents it gets logistically more difficult to deal with a dog. Not impossible just more difficult. I met a guy who was travelling full time with a greyhound saluki mix. He said the pooch rode in the trailer most of the day and got kicked out for the climbs to run along side. He said that worked well for them.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 04-29-21, 02:01 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,244 Times in 717 Posts
​​​​Thanks!
For the info ... Message me anytime.
What I plan to do is let him run beside me on a tether and if it's not safe or inclimate weather have him ride in the trailer. If I want to ride 40 miles , I'm not going to make him run all 40 miles.
In case you do not know what CGOAB is, as mentioned earlier, here is a link to the forum. https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/forum/?o=1