Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Giant revel 29r forks

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Giant revel 29r forks

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-21, 10:14 AM
cncwhiz

Bikes: Cannondale synapsis, Giant 29r rigid tail

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Giant revel 29r forks

I picked up a Giant revel 29r. I just picked it up and took it to the lbs for a full tune up. I asked him about how the forks should be adjusted. Even thou they sold the bike they did not know much about the adjustment. Anybody know how I need to adjust them and what I am looking for?
Old 02-18-21, 10:56 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Since you failed to specify which model of Revel you got I'll just say that for all practical purposes those forks are not adjustable. They have preload knobs but they don't do anything.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 02-19-21, 03:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
You want to adjust your quick release so it is properly tightened and not facing forwards where it can catch on something and open up. Most of the cheaper suspension forks really have knobs just to have knobs. The bikes are more designed for occasional riding and not so much real mountain biking. Price point over function.
Old 02-22-21, 06:47 PM
cncwhiz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Glad to hear the positive replies. I asked a simple question and instead ofwe need more info I get a rude reply and I don't have a real mountain bike? That's some ********. I never said I was riding red bull rampage. I am just going to trail ride at 61 years old.
Old 02-22-21, 08:50 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by cncwhiz
Glad to hear the positive replies. I asked a simple question and instead ofwe need more info I get a rude reply and I don't have a real mountain bike? That's some ********. I never said I was riding red bull rampage. I am just going to trail ride at 61 years old.

Is this your bike? With a Suntour XCT suspension fork? If so, i linked to a SR manual below , plus a page where it shows links to Youtube vids --- If the preload can be adjusted, a preferred recommendation would likely be 20-25% sag -- as in, the forks are compressed roughly 20-25% just from the weight of you sitting on the bike. No sag and it will ride rougher, too much and it will feel mushy.

The sag adjustment is a rough "ballpark" guideline for any suspension fork -- but regarding rebound adjustment , im not familiar enough with spring forks to comment but hopefully the manual will have some information (some spring forks i was told do not have any rebound adjustment )

Good luck with it -- seems like a decent bike for what you ar e going to do with it

Revel 29er (2017) | Giant Bicycles United States (giant-bicycles.com)

sr suntour xct preload adjustment - Bing

2017-FORK-Manual-BASIC-for-packaging-new-table.indd (srsuntour.com)
Old 02-22-21, 11:38 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
It’s not true that the fork is useless. A Suntour fork can take a hit and there’s not much to go wrong with it. There’s nothing inside but coil springs, bump stops, and grease. It’s not true that the adjusters do nothing, but they are only going to change the ride height.
Old 02-23-21, 02:27 PM
cncwhiz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I have been riding road for the past 10 years and I was aware of road snobs but I guess mountain bikes have them too. We really are all here for the same reason, riding bicycles. Thanks for the positive replies and help. For the record, I live in the Carson Valley 12 miles from lake Tahoe. I have ridden all of the mountain trails around her several times but on a 94 Trek. Seemed to work fine for me.
Old 02-23-21, 02:31 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
It falls under you don't know what you don't know. You bought a cheap mountain bike that has a $90 fork on it. Not really much you can adjust on it that will make any noticeable difference when you ride.