Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help me identify this serial/manufacturer number

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-21, 10:37 AM
czero8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hello!, The numbers under the bottom bracket shell is C0 30 402322, are these manufacturer or just a frame number?. The frame was bare aluminum no markings on it and then was repainted. Some say it looks like a Pinarello, and another said it might be a Schwinn. Hope somebody might help. I'm just new here so I cant post pictures yet, but will post once allowed.
Old 02-21-21, 12:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,663 Posts
If you post pictures that will help. It looks like you are close to being able to post photos.
Old 02-22-21, 10:50 AM
czero8

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
If you post pictures that will help. It looks like you are close to being able to post photos.
this is the only picture I have now will upload more if needed.
Old 02-22-21, 11:05 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Eh...why? Why do you need to know what the number is from? It's the serial number for the frame but what are you looking to use it for?

It looks similar to some "Pacific Cycles" serial numbers I have seen. Pacific Cycles is just a group that commissions production of frames and bikes under a lot of brand names. Schwinn being one of them.

Why on earth did someone paint it to look like an Orbea if that's what you're saying...?

If it's a Pacific Cycles frame then it's probably noticeably very heavy.

Old 02-23-21, 10:52 AM
czero8

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Eh...why? Why do you need to know what the number is from? It's the serial number for the frame but what are you looking to use it for?

It looks similar to some "Pacific Cycles" serial numbers I have seen. Pacific Cycles is just a group that commissions production of frames and bikes under a lot of brand names. Schwinn being one of them.

Why on earth did someone paint it to look like an Orbea if that's what you're saying...?

If it's a Pacific Cycles frame then it's probably noticeably very heavy.
Yeah a lot of people ask the same thing and says leave it as is or paint it as your own. The reasons are primarily curiosity since I inherited it from my late father, to know its history and maybe, just maybe, put it back in its original colors since the paint is starting to deteriorate, and this might sound stupid but and a little peace of mind. I never had the chance to ride with my father so I have no idea about his bikes past, f-ing cancer got him bad.

The aluminum frame with the fork is quite light considering the alu-carbon fork has a steel threaded steerer tube. It was "re-painted" during the time when the Orbea Aqua peaked popularity thats why it looks like an orbea aqua.
Old 02-23-21, 11:25 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by czero8
Yeah a lot of people ask the same thing and says leave it as is or paint it as your own. The reasons are primarily curiosity since I inherited it from my late father, to know its history and maybe, just maybe, put it back in its original colors since the paint is starting to deteriorate, and this might sound stupid but and a little peace of mind. I never had the chance to ride with my father so I have no idea about his bikes past, f-ing cancer got him bad.

The aluminum frame with the fork is quite light considering the alu-carbon fork has a steel threaded steerer tube. It was "re-painted" during the time when the Orbea Aqua peaked popularity thats why it looks like an orbea aqua.
Makes sense and sorry to hear about your father. I lost my mom to cancer/covid this last May. Doesn't seem to get any easier.

If it was a Pacific then I would position that it probably isn't worth finding the original paint setup. I would definitely pick something you like instead. An homage to your father perhaps. I seem to recall being able to look up some serial numbers on the Pacific website at some point to help find a derailleur hanger but even that was iffy at best. They don't really have the best of records and they seem to change frequently enough that it may very well be a dead end.

Old 02-24-21, 07:14 AM
czero8

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Makes sense and sorry to hear about your father. I lost my mom to cancer/covid this last May. Doesn't seem to get any easier.

If it was a Pacific then I would position that it probably isn't worth finding the original paint setup. I would definitely pick something you like instead. An homage to your father perhaps. I seem to recall being able to look up some serial numbers on the Pacific website at some point to help find a derailleur hanger but even that was iffy at best. They don't really have the best of records and they seem to change frequently enough that it may very well be a dead end.
Sorry about your loss as well, hope this pandemic ends sooner.

yeah you maybe right about that, this frame is probably from the late 90's to early 00's, my guesses were trek, giant, and those panasonic order system road bikes, its harder since the forks were not the original for the frame, and the only thing that got me off my guesses is the rear wheel tire almost touches the seat tube and its a 23c tire.
Old 02-24-21, 09:01 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
I suppose it could be possible to take a pic of the derailleur hanger and compare it to what's shown on wheelsmfg.com - keep in mind that Pacific isn't a manufacturer. At one time or another, they've owned Schwinn, Mongoose, GT, Cannondale among others. Come to think of it they did have Pacific bicycles, but those were only cheap department store bikes. I'll bet a paycheck that it isn't a Pinarello, and who would be crazy enough to re-brand a Pinarello as an Orbea?

Do you know if that fork is original?
Old 02-25-21, 09:00 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
keep in mind that Pacific isn't a manufacturer.
That's a bit of splitting hairs. They contract with factories to manufacture their bikes to their spec. Same a Trek, Pinarello, Specialized, etc. Few in the game actually have the factory themselves. So they are a manufacturer as much as any other one in this industry is. In the truest sense they are considered the OEM.

At one time or another, they've owned Schwinn, Mongoose, GT, Cannondale among others. Come to think of it they did have Pacific bicycles, but those were only cheap department store bikes.
Case in point. By "Owning" these brands they simply own the trademarks/licensing to product bicycles under those names. Yes, Pacific bicycles are cheap department store bikes....so are Schwinn, Mongoose, GT produced under Pacific.
EDIT: This is the same as the old Bikes Direct model of producing new open factory bikes under long abandoned trade names like Motobecane.

I'll bet a paycheck that it isn't a Pinarello, and who would be crazy enough to re-brand a Pinarello as an Orbea?
Agreed. Which is why it was an easy jump to Pacific. In general you don't repaint a good bike to make it look like an OK bike.