Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to measure chain wear on an Eagle X0 chain...?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-21, 01:57 AM
guidodg

Bikes: Epic Evo expert and Topstone Lefty 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

I have been reading that the normal way to measure chain wear on the Eagle 12s chains does not work with the drop in measuring calipers..

I have 2 chains that I rotate every 2000km on my Eagle X0 drivetrain...so far so good...the cassette has 8000km and works perfectly...the chain in now making a noise so I assume 4000km is about right...but is there any way to measure it?

I use Squirt lube as do most of my riding buddies, which is amazing...my friend on his Scalpel has done 13000km on his Eagle X0 cassette...3 chains so far...still going strong.
Old 02-23-21, 09:43 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Any chain can be measured for the true change in pitch with a 12 inch precision machinist's rule. Place one end on the edge of a pin. The pin at the opposite end will be completely covered when the chain is new. If nearly half of that covered pin is exposed, you have 0.5% increase in pitch.

The 0.5% number is totally arbitrary, with the idea that changing chains at that point will allow a reasonable number of chains to be used with a cassette before the cassette wears to the point where a new chain skips under load on the most worn sprockets. Eventually, new chain skip always occurs.

With road bikes, I use 3-4 chains in a rotation and never have to worry about new-chain skip. The cassette will last through the life of all the chains in the rotation.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 02-23-21, 09:53 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
^ this. Steel machinists ruler. It's the simplest and most sensible way to measure chain elongation. Have the steel rule as part of your machinists tool chest, along with calipers, thickness/gap gauges, etc.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 02-23-21, 10:07 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
When my chain checker showed 0.5% wear on a new chain, I tossed it out and use a machinist's rule now. Use pedal pressure to tension it if on the bike, or hang it from a nail if not.
Old 02-23-21, 02:01 PM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
If you hold your wallet next to the chain and it feels lighter then you need a new chain
Old 02-23-21, 03:20 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by guidodg

I have been reading that the normal way to measure chain wear on the Eagle 12s chains does not work with the drop in measuring calipers..

I have 2 chains that I rotate every 2000km on my Eagle X0 drivetrain...so far so good...the cassette has 8000km and works perfectly...the chain in now making a noise so I assume 4000km is about right...but is there any way to measure it?

I use Squirt lube as do most of my riding buddies, which is amazing...my friend on his Scalpel has done 13000km on his Eagle X0 cassette...3 chains so far...still going strong.
Post where you are reading this