Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Looking for a first restoration project

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-21, 06:43 PM
quianth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey folks! Finally decided to get my first bike to restore. But what to select and which one? I really like the look of Peugeots, which is great because it seems there are many available! Would you recommend doing your first restoration on a French bike?

What should I be looking at when looking through all the ads out there? Any recommendation on models/year?

Thanks bunch!
Old 02-24-21, 06:57 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Just a polite reminder that some French bikes are truly French, meaning they require special French only, tools (ex. BB). If you have some fine, if not they add up when buying some for just one bike. If you have a well stocked co-op near I'd see which french tools they have before diving in. Also some French bikes need special stems and pedals etc due to unique French threads or sizing.
Likes For WGB:
Old 02-24-21, 07:04 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Peugeots are fine bikes and they are not difficult to work on. The only special tools you would need would be a crank puller and even the crank might not require a special tool. Having to track down the right tool to pull an old French crank is just part of the charm of owning one.

There are non-standard parts but replacements are readily available for everything. The people on this forum have the knowledge to talk you through your project.

I just picked up this late 70s UO 10 (which is a lower end Peugeot) for $40. It's a fine bike and I'm looking forward to restoring it once the weather gets warmer (my garage isn't heated). This is a fine bike suitable for most any kind of riding. I highly recommend a UO 10 if you can find one (or even better a UO 14 as that is a little nicer bike and I believe they were made in Canada). If you want something "higher" end than one of the UO series bikes, look for a bike that has forged (not stamped) drop outs and has some sort of tubing sticker (Reynolds 531 and Vitus are the most common). The UO 14 has a mangalloy frame I believe and forged drop outs.

Likes For bikemig:
Old 02-24-21, 07:23 PM
quianth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
Just a polite reminder that some French bikes are truly French, meaning they require special French only, tools (ex. BB). If you have some fine, if not they add up when buying some for just one bike. If you have a well stocked co-op near I'd see which french tools they have before diving in. Also some French bikes need special stems and pedals etc due to unique French threads or sizing.
Thanks! I don't have any special French tools, but the Co-op a few blocks away has almost everything apparently! Maybe it's almost everything that isn't special tools, very possible! Once they re-open I'll def go take a look there and ask!
Old 02-24-21, 11:42 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Seeking something specific might prove to me the wrong way to start. For my money, I would suggest the following criterial for choosing a vintage road bike...

If you like the appearance, that is a positive. If the bike fits, that is a positive. If the bike is road worthy and safe to ride, two more positives. If the bike is in good and complete condition, two more positives. Brand and model can also be placed in the positive category but means little to me anymore. Price, of course, for me, is always a concern but not necessarily a deal breaker.

So, if you like it and it is your size and you like the feel of the ride and the bike is complete and in decent shape and you can afford it (add a few hundred dollars for restoration costs unless you can do the work yourself), then that would be the one to buy. For me, these days, I no longer seek out the best of the best, having learned that it is just as much fun and rewarding to restore an entry level steed...

As it is to restore a top of the line offering...

Chances are you will not find the perfect bike that meets all of the positives but that is the way it is. French is not the best place to start but not necessarily a forget about thing but French bikes do add extra challenge to the restoration cost and effort.

If you do not like the bike, move on. If it does not fit, move on. If it is not in good shape or safe to ride, think about it but not necessarily a reason to move on. If the bike is not original or incomplete, again time to think it over but not always a move on issue.

Once you do find a bike, be prepared to spend a couple of hundred dollars, depending on the extent to which you intend to restore (paint and art is expensive, unless you paint your bikes with a paint brush, as I did with the grey one above). If you have to have someone do the work for you, add another couple of hundred dollars. Price is not something I can address for anyone but myself and if the price is too much, I reluctantly move on. And, the following is of considerable importance...

When you do run across something that meets most of the requirements - do not waste any time. If you do not act fast, the opportunity will disappear in the blink of an eye. Had I not moved fast, when this bike came up, I would have missed it. The next guy was standing near by and was ready to snap it up. At $240.00 CAD, who wouldn't...

One final tip that has worked well for me and many people that I have suggested it to - Word of Mouth. Get in touch with your friends and people that you know - everyone you know, or your parents, or wife or, or, or and let them know that you are looking to find an old Ten Speed or road bike, or BMX or what ever. You just might be stunned at what shows up, and in some cases, for free...

Old 02-25-21, 09:20 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I am doing a 1980 Motobecane Grand Sprint that I picked up for $20 on the local Craigslist minus the wheels. Everything else was there and useable like the headset and bottom bracket that can be a problem (sort of) if they are French threaded, and I am not sure as I will use them when the frame gets back from powder paint. I have a nice set of Gentleman wheels with SS spokes that are period correct for the bike. There are still deals out there and the good news is that in those days there was no shortage of parts. Motobecane and Peugeot made quite a few bikes at different levels. Some of these aren't really worth putting a lot of energy in unless , as randyjawa says, you really like the bike. This is a good place to see some beautifully restored bikes and some projects that are currently underway. You can get information on just about any bike you may find and use the C&V "what is it worth" section of the Forum, it can be invaluable. It is a fun hobby and I have found it very rewarding when you take that first ride on a bike you built with your own hands , I have a few( none are for sale!). I must warn you .....IT IS ADDICTING! I spent a year on this one and I ride it a lot. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress

As found 1972 ItalVega Grand Rally

Same bike in rider shape! Decided to leave the patina look

Last edited by Kabuki12; 02-25-21 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-25-21, 09:43 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Restoring an older bike is a very rewarding experience (at least for me), and can provide an excellent start on learning about bicycle mechanics. It is incredibly empowering.
The fact that you have a co-op down the street is a real plus. This significantly eases the cost of entry (tools and supplies) and typically avails you to expertise and assistance as you do your work.

I agree that finding a reasonably nice quality bike to start with (e.g. not something that was sold at Canadian Tire) will yield a better first time experience - the end result will be something of potential value to sell, or will be a cherished bike for yourself. Old Peugeots and Motobecanes (and Raleighs, etc) are great candidates - even the lower end ones.
If you plan to keep the bike for yourself, it is very important to know the size range that will work for you.

Good luck in your search for the right candidate!

Last edited by canyoneagle; 02-25-21 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-25-21, 10:19 AM
bikemig 

I am going to disagree with the naysayers when it comes to the OP's question.

(1) If you want to focus on Peugeots because you like the way they look or because they have the right vibe, do it. There are plenty of them out there and they make fine riders.
(2) There has been a lot written about different parts. Sure but who cares if you buy a complete bike to restore? That bike will--assuming it is all original or has been intelligently updated--will come with the right parts. Plus we have the expertise to talk you through any problems that might arise and can help you find inexpensive replacements. French threaded bottom brackets and headsets are available both new and used. Chainrings for stronglight cranks are readily available in the used market and 86 bcd chainrings (used in stronglight 99 cranks) can be found new as well.
(3) Tools are tools. The tools you need for a French bike are no different than the tools you need for any other old bike other than quite possibly the crank. Assuming you need a special stronglight crank remover, those can be found for non-crazy prices on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27428606987...4aAhYQEALw_wcB

Buy an old Pug, be happy, and ignore the naysayers,

If you want to read a thread on why French bikes are so special (along with the naysayers), read this

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nch-bikes.html
Old 02-25-21, 12:24 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I am going to disagree with the naysayers when it comes to the OP's question.

(1) If you want to focus on Peugeots because you like the way they look or because they have the right vibe, do it. There are plenty of them out there and they make fine riders.
(2) There has been a lot written about different parts. Sure but who cares if you buy a complete bike to restore? That bike will--assuming it is all original or has been intelligently updated--will come with the right parts. Plus we have the expertise to talk you through any problems that might arise and can help you find inexpensive replacements. French threaded bottom brackets and headsets are available both new and used. Chainrings for stronglight cranks are readily available in the used market and 86 bcd chainrings (used in stronglight 99 cranks) can be found new as well.
(3) Tools are tools. The tools you need for a French bike are no different than the tools you need for any other old bike other than quite possibly the crank. Assuming you need a special stronglight crank remover, those can be found for non-crazy prices on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27428606987...4aAhYQEALw_wcB

Buy an old Pug, be happy, and ignore the naysayers,

If you want to read a thread on why French bikes are so special (along with the naysayers), read this

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nch-bikes.html

Though some call me a naysayer, I am not at all against restoring French bicycles. However, I have been restoring vintage road bicycles for about twenty years now. I love old French steeds and have restored several. That said, an old French bike presents extra concerns that just might be a bit of a red flag for the inexperienced builder and his or her first attempt. If you do go for it, make sure it is complete. That said...

Some Peugeots are not made in France, such as this Peugeot Super Sport that I hope to get into this Summer (probably won't) but other vintage road bikes will probably take precedence. Anyway, if the stickers suggest Made in Canada, fear not about the extra concerns associated with French bicycles. The Canadian made Peugeot Super Sport...
Old 02-25-21, 03:31 PM
quianth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peugeots are fine bikes and they are not difficult to work on. The only special tools you would need would be a crank puller and even the crank might not require a special tool. Having to track down the right tool to pull an old French crank is just part of the charm of owning one.

There are non-standard parts but replacements are readily available for everything. The people on this forum have the knowledge to talk you through your project.

I just picked up this late 70s UO 10 (which is a lower end Peugeot) for $40. It's a fine bike and I'm looking forward to restoring it once the weather gets warmer (my garage isn't heated). This is a fine bike suitable for most any kind of riding. I highly recommend a UO 10 if you can find one (or even better a UO 14 as that is a little nicer bike and I believe they were made in Canada). If you want something "higher" end than one of the UO series bikes, look for a bike that has forged (not stamped) drop outs and has some sort of tubing sticker (Reynolds 531 and Vitus are the most common). The UO 14 has a mangalloy frame I believe and forged drop outs.
bikemig This bike looks great! And at that price! Definitely haven't seen anything in this price range in the area, or maybe I'm just looking in all the wrong places...

The search of special tools/pieces is part of the process for sure! I'm sure it somewhat makes it more satisfying when the project is finished (and a maybe a bit frustrating!). I wasn't thinking of going on something high end for my first one, or should I? There's that AO8 I've been eyeing, would you say that's "too" low-end to start?

My shed isn't heated either! But hopefully I'll have something to restore in it once the weather warms up!
Old 02-25-21, 03:37 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by quianth
bikemig This bike looks great! And at that price! Definitely haven't seen anything in this price range in the area, or maybe I'm just looking in all the wrong places...

The search of special tools/pieces is part of the process for sure! I'm sure it somewhat makes it more satisfying when the project is finished (and a maybe a bit frustrating!). I wasn't thinking of going on something high end for my first one, or should I? There's that AO8 I've been eyeing, would you say that's "too" low-end to start?

My shed isn't heated either! But hopefully I'll have something to restore in it once the weather warms up!
I was lucky to find that UO 10 at $40. The hi tensile steel Peugeots are all nice bikes and there is nothing too low end about an AO 8.

https://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/

I'd look around for a UO 10 or a UO 14 or one of the higher end Peugeots. The problem with the AO 8 and UO 8 is that it came stock with a cottered crank and steel rims. Plus the delrin front derailleur is nearly always toast. The rear tends to hold up. So unless you have a lot of parts lying around and the AO 8 is really cheap, I'd keep looking.

This bike is expensive at $350 Canadian (and I know bike prices are higher in Canada) but it has an alloy crank and alloy rims:

https://ottawa.craigslist.org/bik/d/...272574871.html

https://ottawa.craigslist.org/bik/d/...272574871.html

Also it may not be your size.

Last edited by bikemig; 02-25-21 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-25-21, 07:13 PM
quianth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canyoneagle
Restoring an older bike is a very rewarding experience (at least for me), and can provide an excellent start on learning about bicycle mechanics. It is incredibly empowering.
The fact that you have a co-op down the street is a real plus. This significantly eases the cost of entry (tools and supplies) and typically avails you to expertise and assistance as you do your work.

I agree that finding a reasonably nice quality bike to start with (e.g. not something that was sold at Canadian Tire) will yield a better first time experience - the end result will be something of potential value to sell, or will be a cherished bike for yourself. Old Peugeots and Motobecanes (and Raleighs, etc) are great candidates - even the lower end ones.
If you plan to keep the bike for yourself, it is very important to know the size range that will work for you.

Good luck in your search for the right candidate!
canyoneagle I’ve restored a few pieces of furniture in the past, and I also work leather, and the feeling of pride and reward I get when I look at the final product is something that I am hoping to get from restoring a bike and it seems this is exactly what you are describing here! I definitely am hoping to restore something for myself first, so yes sizing is very important!

I anticipate I will be spending many nights at the co-op in the near future indeed!

Thanks!
Old 02-25-21, 07:14 PM
quianth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I am doing a 1980 Motobecane Grand Sprint that I picked up for $20 on the local Craigslist minus the wheels. Everything else was there and useable like the headset and bottom bracket that can be a problem (sort of) if they are French threaded, and I am not sure as I will use them when the frame gets back from powder paint. I have a nice set of Gentleman wheels with SS spokes that are period correct for the bike. There are still deals out there and the good news is that in those days there was no shortage of parts. Motobecane and Peugeot made quite a few bikes at different levels. Some of these aren't really worth putting a lot of energy in unless , as randyjawa says, you really like the bike. This is a good place to see some beautifully restored bikes and some projects that are currently underway. You can get information on just about any bike you may find and use the C&V "what is it worth" section of the Forum, it can be invaluable. It is a fun hobby and I have found it very rewarding when you take that first ride on a bike you built with your own hands , I have a few( none are for sale!). I must warn you .....IT IS ADDICTING! I spent a year on this one and I ride it a lot. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress

As found 1972 ItalVega Grand Rally

Same bike in rider shape! Decided to leave the patina look
Kabuki12 OMG I love your blog! And I think you’re right, I’ll try and go for something I really like, especially for my first bike, something I’ll enjoy keeping and riding.

The addiction to restoration is what always made me not do it, I’m afraid I’ll end up with dozens of bikes in the shed haha!
Old 02-25-21, 07:16 PM
quianth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Seeking something specific might prove to me the wrong way to start. For my money, I would suggest the following criterial for choosing a vintage road bike...

If you like the appearance, that is a positive. If the bike fits, that is a positive. If the bike is road worthy and safe to ride, two more positives. If the bike is in good and complete condition, two more positives. Brand and model can also be placed in the positive category but means little to me anymore. Price, of course, for me, is always a concern but not necessarily a deal breaker.

So, if you like it and it is your size and you like the feel of the ride and the bike is complete and in decent shape and you can afford it (add a few hundred dollars for restoration costs unless you can do the work yourself), then that would be the one to buy. For me, these days, I no longer seek out the best of the best, having learned that it is just as much fun and rewarding to restore an entry level steed...

As it is to restore a top of the line offering...

Chances are you will not find the perfect bike that meets all of the positives but that is the way it is. French is not the best place to start but not necessarily a forget about thing but French bikes do add extra challenge to the restoration cost and effort.

If you do not like the bike, move on. If it does not fit, move on. If it is not in good shape or safe to ride, think about it but not necessarily a reason to move on. If the bike is not original or incomplete, again time to think it over but not always a move on issue.

Once you do find a bike, be prepared to spend a couple of hundred dollars, depending on the extent to which you intend to restore (paint and art is expensive, unless you paint your bikes with a paint brush, as I did with the grey one above). If you have to have someone do the work for you, add another couple of hundred dollars. Price is not something I can address for anyone but myself and if the price is too much, I reluctantly move on. And, the following is of considerable importance...

When you do run across something that meets most of the requirements - do not waste any time. If you do not act fast, the opportunity will disappear in the blink of an eye. Had I not moved fast, when this bike came up, I would have missed it. The next guy was standing near by and was ready to snap it up. At $240.00 CAD, who wouldn't...

One final tip that has worked well for me and many people that I have suggested it to - Word of Mouth. Get in touch with your friends and people that you know - everyone you know, or your parents, or wife or, or, or and let them know that you are looking to find an old Ten Speed or road bike, or BMX or what ever. You just might be stunned at what shows up, and in some cases, for free...
Thanks a lot! This is great advise randyjawa , I definitely will be coming back to your post and ask myself those questions when looking at a bike.
Your bikes are all so nice! Seeing all of those pictures is making me all excited for this project
Old 02-25-21, 07:24 PM
quianth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was lucky to find that UO 10 at $40. The hi tensile steel Peugeots are all nice bikes and there is nothing too low end about an AO 8.

I'd look around for a UO 10 or a UO 14 or one of the higher end Peugeots. The problem with the AO 8 and UO 8 is that it came stock with a cottered crank and steel rims. Plus the delrin front derailleur is nearly always toast. The rear tends to hold up. So unless you have a lot of parts lying around and the AO 8 is really cheap, I'd keep looking.

This bike is expensive at $350 Canadian (and I know bike prices are higher in Canada) but it has an alloy crank and alloy rims:

Also it may not be your size.
bikemig Oh yeah I see! That makes sense. The one I'm looking is from the original owner who bought it back in 77 (but I suspect it's a 76 based off the catalogues I could find online). He still has all the original parts and everything works on it, he said he even took it for a ride before snow arrived and all seemed in order. Maybe I'll give him a call to at least take a look!

And yeah that one would be a bit small I think, but it looks nice!
Old 02-25-21, 08:19 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by quianth
bikemig Oh yeah I see! That makes sense. The one I'm looking is from the original owner who bought it back in 77 (but I suspect it's a 76 based off the catalogues I could find online). He still has all the original parts and everything works on it, he said he even took it for a ride before snow arrived and all seemed in order. Maybe I'll give him a call to at least take a look!

And yeah that one would be a bit small I think, but it looks nice!
There's something very neat about buying an old bike from the original owner and refurbishing it. The bike has likely been taken care of and not muddied up by changes.

One thing about the AO/UO series bikes is that they can take a decent volume tire and fenders. The stock wheels are 27 inch with steel rims. If you replace them with alloy 700c wheels, you will get a noticeable improvement in performance and the bike will brake better in the wet. Plus you can likely fit at least a 35c tire with fenders. If you do this, you will have to spread the frame from 120 OLD (5 speed in the back) to 126 OLD (6-7 speed in the back). That's easy to do with a mild steel bike like this AO 8.

By the late 70s, the simplex derailleurs had changed a bit. The rear derailleur is pretty decent and the front derailleur might actually work. The front derailleurs from the early 70s Pugs don't tend to last because of the plastic that was used.

The bike will have a cottered crank. Nothing wrong with that but you may want to change it out to an alloy one.

If the price is right, it's a fine bike to learn how to refurbish and will give you a lot of service. It will make a fine commuter and all around bike.
Old 02-25-21, 08:29 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
I don't want to be the naysayer here, but I probably wouldn't cut my teeth on a pre-1984 French bike, you're mostly past all the threading anomalies and Delrin derailleur woes by then. Decals can usually tell you the approximate year, check the catalogs for examples. But yeah - go with something mid-late 80s on your 1st. I think aiming for a Motobecane is a better option for a 1st bike, they started introducing Japanese components earlier than most. No Delrin to worry about, although through the early 80s you still have French headsets and BBs.

Furthermore, I would absolutely not start with any bike that has a cottered crank. It's really easy to spot a cottered crank, almost looks like it has a Frankenstein bolt thru the head. Like this:

Old 02-25-21, 08:53 PM
bikemig 

Cottered cranks have been around a long time. It's a good, strong design. Yes it's a bit of a PITA to work on but very doable. The late 70s simplex derailleurs are pretty decent by then. AFAIK the rear was never much of a problem in any case. It's the front and the shifters that can be flaky but by and large they got better by the late 70s.
Old 02-25-21, 09:36 PM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
dream

I look at it two ways, go trash picking, curb shopping, dumpster diving, Goodwill, resale , pawn shops ,in back of your cousins garage ,college campus, scrap metal yards. ask your family and friends and try to get a free or very very cheap bike,Find the best deal you can , dont be picky.Make sure you take pictures before and as found ,Save one from oblivion and turn it into something awesome.

The other thing to do is build your dream bike, decide on the make the model the year color size , search for it then lovingly restore it then ride it like the treasure it will be. Dont build someone else's bike remember this is your dream
Likes For homelessjoe:
Old 02-26-21, 01:27 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Cottered cranks have been around a long time. It's a good, strong design. Yes it's a bit of a PITA to work on but very doable.
Imagine you've never wrenched on a bike before. You want to overhaul it and you've never overhauled a bike. Do you really want your first experience to be a cottered-crank bike? The risk of damaging something beating them out. The risk of having to drill them out if you fail. Needing to source the correct size replacements, file, and press them in properly? That's like taking a cactus to the rectum, talk about wanting to destroy the new guy! Everyone at my local co-op finds something else to do when cottered bikes come in, they don't even want to deal with it. I only do because I have a bucket of cotters and a VAR07.

In short, I would encourage the new guy to avoid their 1st bike being cotter-cranked.

The late 70s simplex derailleurs are pretty decent by then. AFAIK the rear was never much of a problem in any case. It's the front and the shifters that can be flaky but by and large they got better by the late 70s.
Jockey wheels are still Delrin through the 80s, including the SX 410/610/810 and often have cracked teeth, and replacements are tough to source, being an odd size. Many of the early 80s rear mech models with the bubbly font on the cover had lots of Delrin components. Look, Peugeot is one of my loves, but I'll be the first to admit the flaws. The frames are great, they're beautiful to look at even in the lower-end bikes. But the Simplex drivetrain on the mid-low end bikes left a lot to be desired and is better served to be swapped out with Huret's Eco line. weighs close enough to the same, performs almost as well, but it's 100% bulletproof stuff.

Old 02-26-21, 01:56 PM
bikemig 

I think you're overselling your points. The OP has heard both sides and can make a decision.
Old 02-26-21, 03:01 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

I think you're overselling your points. The OP has heard both sides and can make a decision.
Definitely not waxing dramatic on purpose. I'm just reiterating what the owner of this Royce Union told me when he frustratedly brought it to me several years ago, after weeks of trying to get the cotters out. Super-handy guy, with tons of tools and mechanical knowledge. Bike had never been overhauled, and he'd never overhauled a bike. If someone as tool-and-mechanics savvy as that guy couldn't manage, I feel like it's only right to issue suitable warning to the OP.

Old 02-26-21, 03:08 PM
bikemig 

You've made your point (repeatedly). I suspect the OP understands what you've been saying.

Last edited by bikemig; 02-26-21 at 03:24 PM.