Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living Car Free/Car Lite Introductions

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.
View Poll Results: How long have you been car light or car free?
Car light less than 1 year
15.87%
Car free less than 1 year
9.13%
Car light less than 5 years
12.92%
Car free less than 5 years
11.25%
Car light more than 5 years
9.04%
Car free more than 5 years
21.49%
Contemplating a car light or car free change
17.80%
Not interested in becoming car light or car free
2.49%
Voters: 1084. You may not vote on this poll

Living Car Free/Car Lite Introductions

Old 04-02-08, 05:09 PM
pwyll99

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi 1885 Veloce, 2003 Specialized Rockhopper, 2006 Rocky Mountain Slayer 50, 2006 Electra Ratrod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Currently I'm back to being car light.

It's sort of a contradiction, but I found I needed a car again for:

1. mountain biking as all the good freeride trails are 40 - 60 miles away

2. To get to the centuries that don't start near (<10miles) home.

3. To go hiking.

So as I result I use the car for commuting when the weather is bad and for recovery days especially before a big weekend ride.

Went car free for 2 years, from 2005-07 and grew up relying on my bike, feet, and public trans more than on a car.

I seem to average about 4500 miles/year biking although last year was a light year for riding as I had a major surgery that kept me off the bike and back in the car for a few months.
Old 04-03-08, 08:49 AM
GreenPremier
Metalhead

Bikes: Surly Steamroller 2008, 70s fuji fixed conversion, 2007 Giant TCR, 2005 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been car-free pretty much my whole life...I had a car recently that was given to me, went through all of the titled change and registration crap, but I never drove it...maybe once a week if that. So I don't really even count that because I certainly didn't rely on it and didn't like the burden. I just feel better biking to work, I only have a 4.5 mile commute.
Old 04-04-08, 10:01 AM
ivesjd

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in the Upper Peninsula, and we get alot of snow. And I have 1 year old, so car free is impossible. I try to ride my bike as much as possible. Getting a trailer soon so I should be just about car free for the summer and fall.
Old 04-05-08, 02:29 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ivesjd
I live in the Upper Peninsula, and we get alot of snow. And I have 1 year old, so car free is impossible. I try to ride my bike as much as possible. Getting a trailer soon so I should be just about car free for the summer and fall.
hey yooper!

welcome to the forum. It's great that we're getting some more Michiganders here lately. I live in Lansing but spend a lot of time in Traverse City, and get up to the UP once in a while. My mom's family is from Pickford. Where are you?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-07-08, 04:54 AM
ivesjd

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Marquette. I used to live in Atlanta (half hour east of Gaylord)
Old 04-15-08, 08:12 PM
Nycycle

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well,,,,,,,I own a truck, My son has possession, my wife has to have a car, she thinks, unable to ride,,,,,,,and I drive a company vehicle, so when I am not at work or transporting my wife, or riding with Roger, I am car free.....
Old 04-18-08, 06:58 AM
robinthehippie
that strange guy

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Nishiki Century (frame only for now), Costco mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sold my car when I started school. (I was just waiting for an excuse/inspiration to ditch the Earth Destroying Money Vortex.) Once I realized I could deal with a ~30 mile commute after the big Denver blizzards a couple years ago without a car, it seems like a total waste to buy one again.

It felt like a huge step at first. Now I don't really know what I'd do with a car if I had one.
Old 04-18-08, 07:17 AM
strangeseraph

Bikes: None Yet! Soon To Purchase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All my life. When I was in high school and my Mom said to me 'All right, time to teach you how to drive,' I said, 'No thanks, I would rather not be a gas guzler, I'll stick to my bike' and so I've never gotten a driver's liscence. I just don't need nor want it. If I need to go farther than I can bike, I take the bus, or a taxi. Its compromise comfort versus nescessity for the environment in my mind.

EDIT: I might add that this was when I was living at home. My previous bike was stolen and I've been using public transit since. Soon I'll have a new bike really soon!

Last edited by strangeseraph; 04-18-08 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-22-08, 10:33 AM
Novakane 

Bikes: Sekine RM40 1980, Miyata 1000LT 1990, Raleigh Mixte Sprite 1980, Raleigh Grand Prix 1979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've never driven a car in my life. Guess that makes me car-free for 30 years.
Old 04-24-08, 01:44 PM
kringle
I step on puppies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm dropping my car off at my parents for them to keep this weekend. Living in SF, I hardly ever use my car. The only times I do is for street cleaning.

So, from 17 to 26 I was car dependent. From now on, I don't see myself buying another car.
Old 04-24-08, 01:50 PM
jdcii
Can you donate today?

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to say I'm really impressed or I admire those of you who have choosen this life style. It really gets one thinking that it's definitely possible to do. Just have to change some habits.
Old 04-25-08, 12:05 PM
nomad1980
nomadlostinplace

Bikes: Lemond Chambery and Merlin Extra-light, Cannondale tour 1, Mattel Big Wheel for long rides

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I became car free over 1 year ago when I retired and have never felt so liberated in my entire life. Every time I see the price of gas go up, which is every day now, I feel even better about my decision.
Old 04-25-08, 12:26 PM
Platy

Bikes: Schwinn folder; SixThreeZero EvryJourney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nomad1980
I became car free over 1 year ago when I retired and have never felt so liberated in my entire life. Every time I see the price of gas go up, which is every day now, I feel even better about my decision.
Plus, there is nothing better than daily cycling or walking to maintain physical vitality as we get older.
Old 04-27-08, 01:39 PM
bike_in_a_tux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm car free, and it has been about five years. Before that I had a car that quit, I couldn't fix it and I couldn't afford to have it fixed or get a new one.

I don't have that problem with bikes, although it can be a challenge to get to concerts in other cities or to tour with performing groups...
Old 04-28-08, 03:20 PM
wb647
Freddie fenders are cool

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took the plunge! Car light with two cars for a year or so. I've been bike commuting for about two years but exclusively for a year. My wife and I finally decided, "This is stupid." So, we took both vehicles (car & a pickup truck) to the local Honda dealership and traded them in for a Honda Element. It is liberating!
Old 04-29-08, 02:30 AM
ClydeBlurr
Addict

Bikes: Trek 4500 (w/upgrade-itus) building a surly karate monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sold my truck (chevy 454 ouch... for trailers) went back to school and commute by bike and mtb when I can. That was 2 years ago. I recently bought a little 4 cyl car so I could get to an internship, but I hated owning it. So after about a month I turned around and sold it and made do with the bike. That was 2 months ago and I am relieved. I liked my biking lifestyle better. It sorta forces you to live locally and get out around other people (as opposed to the cage). I don't hate cars when they are used responsibly, but I would rather not own one and I feel good about not needing gas. Cheaper too. I plan on trying to find work in an area where I can continue to live car free when I graduate. Funny, I first switched to biking out of necessity (had to pay tuition) and when I tried living with a car again I wouldn't even look at it. It just sat in the parking lot.

Anyway, new to the forum, thought I'd put it my 2 cents (sorry I got a little long winded).
Old 04-29-08, 05:10 PM
SuperDave

Bikes: Canyon Roadlite AL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Last drove a car in 1993.
Old 05-04-08, 09:27 PM
ATAC49er
Banned

Bikes: Pacific hardtail (frame only right now); Weyless SP (frame/fork right now); Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 custom build-up (fully functional)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rockmom
I've never owned a car and neither has my husband. When we were home from college we both had use of a family car. Once we were on our own at 20 and 22, we decided not to buy a car. Once not owning a car became our pattern, car free became easier than going out and buying one. Depending on when you start counting us as car free, it's been at least a decade.
I would start the clock from the day you were first able to make the choice not to buy a car, or have one bought.

Of course, you can always claim "all our lives!"

Either way, you are a role model for the rest of us.
Old 05-05-08, 04:23 AM
jdcii
Can you donate today?

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I sold my van last wednesday and my family is down to one car, forcing me to commute back and forth to work. Surprisingly, my wife has been very supportive. She must want me to slim down or something. It has rained everyday but one since I started this adventure. I want to thank everyone of you here for the encouragement through your posts and I look forward to living this way for a long time.
Old 05-07-08, 12:44 AM
expat
car-light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if there is a formal definition for 'car light', but I suppose 4000 km per year would qualify, which is where my wife and I are at in recent years. Even ten years ago it was 8-10,000 km/yr - the difference being one road trip each year back then. Everyone in the family commutes to school or work by bike or foot, and the cumulative distance by all would exceed the driving distance (which I already do by myself).
Old 05-07-08, 09:56 PM
Flying Dahon

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1000 - Orange / 2006 Dahon Speed P8 / 2008 Brompton M6L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Car light for 4 years (by NYC standards). Just donated my car last week. Car-free now!
Old 05-09-08, 01:36 AM
mim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't own a car, and haven't regularly driven since 2000 or so, but we use zipcar sometimes (less than 1x/month average) so I picked car light. We're pretty close tho!
Old 05-11-08, 09:07 PM
Nycycle

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well,,,,I was car-free, but then today my kid brought my truck back, sure takes up lot a room,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 05-11-08, 10:48 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nycycle
Well,,,,I was car-free, but then today my kid brought my truck back, sure takes up lot a room,,,,,,,,,,,
So -- you played a country music album backwards.

Did you also get your wife back, your dog back, your gun back..?

Old 05-12-08, 07:45 PM
Nycycle

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
So -- you played a country music album backwards.

Did you also get your wife back, your dog back, your gun back..?

Wife back, dog died, need ammo.............

First thing I hear when the truck is in the driveway,,,,,"Can you haul........."
For now I'm pretending its broken.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.