Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Facebook Bans Velominati Rules

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-07-20, 01:20 PM
OrenNoah

Bikes: 2019 Trek Madone SLR6; 2014 Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Facebook won't allow links to the Velominati, the Keeper of the Rules.

When I try to share a link to Velominati, I get

"You can't share this link

Close
velominati.com

Your comment couldn't be shared, because this link goes against our Community Standards"

What the F?!

Agree or not with some or all of the The Rules, how could the content at Velominati violate "Community Standards"?
Old 03-07-20, 01:38 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
I don't do facebook and have no idea what their standards might be, but a quick look through Velominati turns up something that is almost twItwIffle but not quite. That might seem pretty offensive to some. Otherwise it seems it's akin to banning links to The Onion.
Likes For desconhecido:
Old 03-07-20, 04:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido
I don't do facebook and have no idea what their standards might be, but a quick look through Velominati turns up something that is almost twItwIffle but not quite. That might seem pretty offensive to some. Otherwise it seems it's akin to banning links to The Onion.

There's a couple of other words in there--one of them rhymes with ducknard, and is definitely a troll word likely to trigger some filter.
Old 03-07-20, 04:44 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
I if didn't already have some awareness of the Velominati, I could be persuaded that it did originate on The Onion. Some of it, anyway.
Old 03-07-20, 11:14 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 608 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
I if didn't already have some awareness of the Velominati, I could be persuaded that it did originate on The Onion. Some of it, anyway.
The rules weren't funny enough to come from The Onion.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 03-08-20, 01:41 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Apply rule #5 .
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 03-08-20, 03:14 AM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Rule #10 - "It never gets easier, you just go faster."
They claim this quote is from Greg Leman. Who is GREG LEMAN?
https://www.velominati.com/
Likes For CycleryNorth81:
Old 03-08-20, 04:16 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Facebook doesn't care about content. It's not the spicy language. Facebook doesn't like blogs using FB as a portal to sites where Suckerborg doesn't get a cut of the pie. By default FB assumes all blogs and most sites that don't pay for sponsored promos are stealing money from the reptilians who run Fakebork.

Several years ago FB also blocked Mila's Daydream, a harmless blog with adorable photos of an artist's infant dressed in elaborate costumes with sets arranged around her on the floor. The content wasn't objectionable. They were just trying to strongarm the blog owner into buying ad space.

But Facebook sucks at marketing. I don't know of a single creative person who has gotten any return from paying for Facebook professional pages or sponsored content. I know many photographers, artists, writers, musicians, etc., and not one of them has gotten any good from FB for professional reasons.

So eventually they'll just push the limits of promoting themselves via their personal pages, until they get caught and FB suspends or bans them.

You can post some ridiculously offensive content on FB private or public group, as long as the group doesn't serve primarily as a portal to an external site. Post all the utter junk you want, no matter how offensive, and FB won't care. Just don't try to make a dime doing it.

Same with videos. Steal all the copyrighted videos you like, alter them slightly to avoid the bots that scan for pirated material, and Facebook won't care. But watch what happens if the original content creator tries to use FB to promote their work.

And it takes only a single complaint for FB mods to suspend or ban a page or user. They don't bother to review complaints in any depth to determine legitimacy. So if a reader has an agenda and wants your page gone, all they have to do is report it and falsify some claim about racism, etc. But if there's actual racism or hate speech, FB won't do a thing. Seen it many times. Part of the problem is most FB mods are in other countries where they may speak English but lack a grasp of idioms, slang, etc., or lack an understanding of the context that differentiates between satire and hate speech.

FB is a bad joke. It's 4chan for old people. Only reason I hang out there is to keep up with real life friends for local cycling events.

Last edited by canklecat; 03-08-20 at 04:20 AM.
Old 03-08-20, 07:40 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Facebook is a bit like the tattered old book of contacts we all used to have for our travels. Lots of people I wouldn't call tomorrow but I certainly hope to see them again.

It's also a good place to show off baby/dog/woodworking/ and garden pictures.
Old 03-08-20, 09:08 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Just a really strange time right now. We have to take care to not offend any 35 year olds that have never endured a single hardship in their life.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 03-08-20, 02:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Just a really strange time right now. We have to take care to not offend any 35 year olds that have never endured a single hardship in their life.
Don't kid yourself. I'm 62. My 30something friends have it tougher than I did in my 30s. Everything costs more but they get paid less, relative to the cost of living. There are fewer opportunities and most require relocating, a huge deal for younger people who are already on the margins of the economy. Most local manufacturing jobs are gone from my area. There's a chasm between the service job economy and the mystery economy where money is magically created from nothing by money jugglers.

I didn't realize how good I had it until I looked back and compared my opportunities, costs and wages with those factors for younger Americans today.

And younger Americans now are forced to confront complications we rarely had to even think of, from shifting cultural issues to demographics to national and international politics. The world seems much more unsettled now than it did when I was that age. And as a journalist I was acutely aware of the issues, from local crime to international politics and war. My old job doesn't even exist anymore. One of the newspapers I wrote for had the largest daily circulation in Texas, in terms of both geographic reach and subscribers. Now it's barely a ghost of itself, closer to a weekly shopper's guide.

We could afford to smugly ignore inequities in society. Younger people now don't have the luxury of reveling in their privilege.

What they do have is healthier friendships. I'm always impressed by how much healthier the friendships are between my younger friends. It's a lot more open and honest.

And they aren't the ones making Facebook a miserable experience. It's people my age who don't even realize that over the past decade or so they've morphed from sharing constructive parts of their lives with friends to nearly relentless trolling and divisive propaganda. I've muted, blocked and unfriended many older folks I've known for years (in the online sense), but haven't felt any need to block or unfriend most of my younger acquaintances.

The 30somethings aren't the problem. We are.
Old 03-08-20, 02:56 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
The rules weren't funny enough to come from The Onion.
True.
Old 03-09-20, 03:10 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Facebook is a bit like the tattered old book of contacts we all used to have for our travels. Lots of people I wouldn't call tomorrow but I certainly hope to see them again.

It's also a good place to show off baby/dog/woodworking/ and garden pictures.
You forgot kittens.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 03-09-20, 05:05 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
FB bans tame blogs, but is chocked full of weaponized political BS, while they sell your data to the highest bidder..or any bidder at all.. and when they get called on the mat for it they naively/innocently claim "...we didn't realize.." or "..we didn't understand how our platform could be used 'cuz we're just a feel good & hugs to everyone social thing, not a media outlet....". To get around "selling" your data they do deals with other entities trading access to FB (your) data for some other market they want access to...and can monetize.

I don't do FB..it's against my rules.
Old 03-09-20, 08:07 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Velominati Rules are an extremist manifesto
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 03-09-20, 09:00 AM
trailangel

Thanks for the journalistic lecture.
Old 03-09-20, 09:14 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Only reason I hang out there is to keep up with real life friends for local cycling events.
This is my only reason for staying on FB, it's my cycling social calendar.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 03-09-20, 09:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by trailangel
Thanks for the journalistic lecture.

Thanks for the generation-bashing trolling.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-09-20, 09:18 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
The rules good. FB bad
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 03-09-20, 09:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

N+1 and rubber side down are funny, the rest, not so much.
Old 03-09-20, 09:41 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by OrenNoah
Facebook won't allow links to the Velominati, the Keeper of the Rules.
...What the F?!
Agree or not with some or all of the The Rules, how could the content at Velominati violate "Community Standards"?
The real topic should be why you think that stuff is funny enough or true enough to be worth sending out to others to look at.

Those rules are as relevant to actual bicycling as a motorcycle and as funny as Carrot Top. The Velominati rules are as cool as Carrot Top riding a motorcycle. Do others a favor and dont make them look at anything so uncool.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 03-09-20 at 10:20 AM.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-09-20, 09:55 AM
trailangel

I just think people are overly sensitive about getting their feelings hurt.
Old 03-09-20, 09:57 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Are we even allowed to talk about Carrot Top here? Kinda controversial, IMO.
Old 03-09-20, 10:54 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Thanks, Canklecat. Young people do have a harder time now than 30 years ago.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 03-09-20, 06:52 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by mstategofr
The real topic should be why you think that stuff is funny enough or true enough to be worth sending out to others to look at.
Because it's funny? Because we have freedom of speech? Because Velominati is a work of art? Because we have the freedom to disagree?

Those rules are as relevant to actual bicycling as a motorcycle and as funny as Carrot Top. The Velominati rules are as cool as Carrot Top riding a motorcycle.
What is Carrot Top? Is it funny?

Do others a favor and dont [sic] make them look at anything so uncool.
Do others a favor and let them exist. BTW, you're not very funny. And finally, Rule 5 for you.

Last edited by BCDrums; 03-09-20 at 07:15 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.