Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Wifey biking?

Old 06-03-20, 11:13 AM
Albion 

Bikes: 1980 Fuji Gran Tourer SE, 1974 Araya, 1986 Team Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Wifey biking?

Dear fellow BF members, my dear wife has expressed an interest in moving up from her Fuji Crosstown One 1 mixte frame bike (image below). She's looking for something with similar bars, but with lower rolling resistance and generally faster with perhaps a less pedestrian appearance. Could I ask for your advice? I am of no use as my biking preferences are firmly rooted in the 1970s - 1980s but am very keen to foster her interest in riding with me more.
Old 06-03-20, 12:35 PM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Rigid fork, skinnier (or slicker/faster) tires.
Old 06-03-20, 06:00 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
What bike shops do you have in your area where you could try out some bikes. Just for a couple of examples (there are more)-you can get a women's bike in Trek's FX series and also Specialized Sirrus. Both brands can be had with a step thru frame or more standard triangle. LInks: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...AfacetGender2# & https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sh...irrus/c/sirrus Check to see who carries what in your area, then do a search for that brand of bike, and you'll most likely find lots that will meet your needs. The links I provided are just two of the larger brands-and the bikes are in their "fitness" range. Sounds to me like bikes in the "fitness" category may be what she's looking for.
Old 06-03-20, 06:36 PM
Albion 

Bikes: 1980 Fuji Gran Tourer SE, 1974 Araya, 1986 Team Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Thank you so much for this - she definitely likes the look of the lurid green Trek mixte/stagger. We will take a look at these at our LBS!
Old 06-03-20, 09:51 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Spec makes one just like that. 1X drivetrain with 8 speeds, ridged fork, step through, kind of the same but with no suspension. Wife loves hers. I think its called the Roll? I think we got it on sale for $399ish
Old 06-04-20, 09:40 AM
Peruano
Biker

Bikes: Boone McReynolds, Centurion Pro Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 58 Posts
Extend the budget a bit and buy two bikes, one like is being suggested above and the second a tandem. 35 years ago my wife was just beginning to enter cycling and we decided on a Santana tandem without much knowledge of what we were doing and whether we would enjoy it. Let me say that for more than 20 years, it was practically the only bike we rode (when we both rode). All the adages are true; she will never be dropped, or lost. Both riders will ride at the same speed, and conversation/interactions will be facilitated. However an important point is don't do this if you don't want your wife to ride with you. BTW dont try to get by with someone's old beater Schwinn tandem. Buy a tandem as good as your single or even better. She still rides but mounting the tandem after double hip replacement is a bit tougher than getting on the single. Good luck.