Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Facebook Bans Velominati Rules

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Facebook Bans Velominati Rules

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-20, 09:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
The Velominati Rules are funny in the sense that any irony is "funny".

The problem is that the more deft the irony, the more likely it is to be mistaken for something serious. So, Poe's Law often applies.

And as David Foster Wallace complained before unironically offing himself, irony wore out its welcome years ago. Irony was appropriate and perhaps necessary during the 1950s-'70s cultural upheaval as a subversive sort of pointed humor about our collective quirks and failings.

But now irony is more of a cop-out, an evasion. Like too much of Frank Zappa's music, irony gives the storyteller a thin veil of smugness to hide behind. Irony allows the creator an easy way to evade criticism. If you get the joke, hey, you're one of the cool kids. If you don't, well... you're so unhip it's a wonder you don't need suspenders to hold up your underwear. And if you get the joke but don't think it's brilliant, well, you're just too dense to get the joke. Have another toke and chill, dude.

Maybe sincerity is the new irony. But the problem with being twee is you have to unironically enjoy Wes Anderson movies, Talulah Gosh music, Tex-Nam restaurants run by hipsters and riding fixies.

Last edited by canklecat; 03-09-20 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-09-20, 10:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
Because it's funny? Because we have freedom of speech? Because Velominati is a work of art? Because we have the freedom to disagree?

What is Carrot Top? Is it funny?

Do others a favor and let them exist. BTW, you're not very funny. And finally, Rule 5 for you.
Out of all this, what I took away is your apparent need to point out my lack of apostrophe.

Of course people can talk about the rules, no matter how sophomoric and unfunny they are.
I simply have trouble envisioning a scenario where someone feels compelled to cite the rules to friends of Facebook, either as a joke or serious. Just seems like a lot of effort for not much payoff.

Like you point out, we are free to disagree. Some find the rules funny just like some find Kathy Griffin funny. Pretty sure there is a lot of crossover in that Venn Diagram.
Old 03-09-20, 11:02 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
... But the problem with being twee is you have to unironically enjoy Wes Anderson movies, Talulah Gosh music, Tex-Nam restaurants run by hipsters and riding fixies.
Hey, I like Wes Anderson movies... and I'm old (ish). Isn't that ironic.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 03-10-20, 05:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Out of all this, what I took away is your apparent need to point out my lack of apostrophe.

Of course people can talk about the rules, no matter how sophomoric and unfunny they are.
I simply have trouble envisioning a scenario where someone feels compelled to cite the rules to friends of Facebook, either as a joke or serious. Just seems like a lot of effort for not much payoff.

Like you point out, we are free to disagree. Some find the rules funny just like some find Kathy Griffin funny. Pretty sure there is a lot of crossover in that Venn Diagram.

I can't get past how badly constructed the rules are as a joke. I've never been able to actually force myself to read all the way through them as it becomes apparent that the thing was cooked by too many chefs. It really can't decide what it's supposed to be, seeming to start as a parody of "serious cyclist" attitudes, then it turns into an unfunny, not useful list of a bunch of pet peeves about stickers on bikes and the like.

Mostly, it's just tedious but with a very few funny lines.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-10-20, 06:06 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
so is the issue that some are offended by others posting/quoting from the book? Or is the issue that the book is not funny to you?

either way, first world problems
Old 03-10-20, 06:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
Because we have freedom of speech?
The concept of freedom of speech reflected in the 1st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution has no applicability to Facebook or privately-owned Internet forums like Bike Forums.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-10-20, 06:28 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I like the Velominati Rules. Many of them are spot on. If you've been riding long enough, you realize this to be true. Sur la Plaque are words to live by.

And I'll admit that I violate a few of them (frame mounted pumps, and mountain bike pedals on my commuter). I'm so ashamed...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 03-10-20, 07:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
so is the issue that some are offended by others posting/quoting from the book? Or is the issue that the book is not funny to you?

either way, first world problems
I am shocked, shocked that first world problems are being discussed on an internet bicycling forum!

Speaking only for myself, I am not offended in the least. I'm just expressing an opinion that they aren't, for the most part, funny, and there seems to be some confusion as to whether or not some of the rules are serious or just poorly constructed parody.

I do find it funny that someone launched into a "freedom of speech" tirade when someone else said the rules were tedious reading that shouldn't be recommended to anyone.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-10-20, 07:14 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Thanks for the journalistic lecture.
Exactly.
Old 03-10-20, 07:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Are we even allowed to talk about Carrot Top here? Kinda controversial, IMO.

His fan might get angry.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-10-20, 08:07 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I can't get past how badly constructed the rules are as a joke. I've never been able to actually force myself to read all the way through them as it becomes apparent that the thing was cooked by too many chefs. It really can't decide what it's supposed to be, seeming to start as a parody of "serious cyclist" attitudes, then it turns into an unfunny, not useful list of a bunch of pet peeves about stickers on bikes and the like.

Mostly, it's just tedious but with a very few funny lines.
This.

It seems to bounce between earnest and ironic. It both attempts to set arbitrary elitist expectations and pokes fun at arbitrary elitist expectations.
It just ends up being a bore.
But hey- what people find funny is often curious and usually wide ranging.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-10-20, 08:14 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
This.

It seems to bounce between earnest and ironic. It both attempts to set arbitrary elitist expectations and pokes fun at arbitrary elitist expectations.
It just ends up being a bore.
But hey- what people find funny is often curious and usually wide ranging.
agree 100%, well said
Old 03-10-20, 08:20 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Well, this is going south
Old 03-10-20, 08:30 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
The Velominati Rules are funny in the sense that any irony is "funny".

The problem is that the more deft the irony, the more likely it is to be mistaken for something serious. So, Poe's Law often applies.
I had to look up Poe's Law. I never mistook Velominati for a parody. I think that The Rules are sincere, but that the writers know that they have gone over the top and so they make some fun of themselves. And I agree with livedarklions that they run out of gas after a while. But I find it funny and creative.

And as David Foster Wallace complained before unironically offing himself, irony wore out its welcome years ago...Maybe sincerity is the new irony.
Do whut? My idea of irony is the pot calling the kettle black. Maybe I don't understand irony. Is that too twee?

All best!
Old 03-10-20, 08:33 AM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by indyfabz
The concept of freedom of speech reflected in the 1st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution has no applicability to Facebook or privately-owned Internet forums like Bike Forums.
Well, your honor, I'd just like to say that [deleted by moderator]
Old 03-10-20, 08:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
Wut. If you have, I don't think it's appropriate to make it look like a mod edited your post what one did not.

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-10-20 at 09:11 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-10-20, 09:27 AM
BCDrums

Wut. If you have, I don't think it's appropriate to make it look like a mod edited your post what one did not.
I thought you would get the joke. Apologies.
Old 03-10-20, 09:50 AM
BCDrums

I guess, in the end, humor is like a frog: if you dissect it, you'll probably kill it.
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 03-10-20, 10:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I guess, in the end, humor is like a frog: if you dissect it, you'll probably kill it.

I think the Velominati Rules suffer from another problem--that which is merely mildly amusing becomes annoying with repetition.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-13-20, 09:51 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I like the Velominati Rules. Many of them are spot on. If you've been riding long enough, you realize this to be true. Sur la Plaque are words to live by.

And I'll admit that I violate a few of them (frame mounted pumps, and mountain bike pedals on my commuter). I'm so ashamed...

I have violated so many Im surprised Im not banned.
Old 03-15-20, 08:51 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Facebook really? People still care about that? I love the Velominati website, have the icon on my phone and iPad, Lots laughs on that site, lots of common sense too. Always check to see if, and how many rules I’ve violated before and after a ride. Usually follow most of them though, at least the ones that pertain to the bike.
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 03-15-20 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-15-20, 09:17 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I think the rules are amusing. Not side splitting, but worthy of a chuckle. Although satire is a tough sell these days as a lot of folks seem to take everything seriously.

I avoid Facebook as I don't find it amusing or entertaining.
Old 03-15-20, 04:42 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think the Velominati Rules suffer from another problem--that which is merely mildly amusing becomes annoying with repetition.
But a corollary claims that which is annoying with some repetition becomes amusing again with more repetition.

Alas, there is no full length version of this video. According to Kristen Schaal and Kurt Braunohler on RadioLab a few years ago the longest they ever drew out this sketch was nearly an hour for an Australian audience that went through every stage of grief in the process. The BBC version is so truncated and forced it never reaches the first stage of grief.

It amuses me because it reminds me of the idiocy my brother and I indulged in as kids to drive mom crazy on days when we had to stay home. Sorta appropriate for the COVID-19 pandemic. Some families will not survive each other unless they can find nirvana amid repetition.

Old 03-15-20, 10:53 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I never mistook Velominati for a parody. I think that The Rules are sincere, but that the writers know that they have gone over the top and so they make some fun of themselves.
Wouldn't going over the top and thus making fun of something be.... parody? The extreme rules would be parodies of the less extreme rules, exaggerated for the sake of humor .... pretty good definition. [/QUOTE]
My idea of irony is the pot calling the kettle black. Maybe I don't understand irony. Is that too twee?!
No .... that would be hypocrisy. "Irony" is the opposite of what is expected .... Jacques Cousteau drowning in his bathtub after risking his life in thousands of ocean dives .... a person who wins at Russian Roulette dying ... by laughing so hard in relief that he chokes ..... an unexpected twist .... or the "so common it is no longer ironic" Christian preacher who got on TV every Sunday railing against sin and temptation getting caught with a hooker, or stealing from the church, or using money stolen from the church to pay for gay hookers and meth .... or the politicians who propose "family values" bills getting busted with hookers .....

Twee is overly sweet, sort of manufactured cuteness .... people pretending to be naive and open and childlike and totally real ....

In my understanding.
Old 03-15-20, 11:47 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
It’s like ray e aaay ain on your wedding day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.