Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tannus Airless Tires - Thumbs up or thumbs down?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tannus Airless Tires - Thumbs up or thumbs down?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-20, 10:57 PM
streetstomper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
If you're going to criticize them, it would help to get the name right. It's Tannus, not tennis. As for flats, it's not an "odd fear." Some of just want to ride or get places. Sitting on the side of the road changing or patching a tube isn't my idea of fun and is a lot more than just "inconvenient." I don't want to read any snobbery about how "real cyclists know how to fix flats."
Likes For streetstomper:
Old 04-20-20, 03:15 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
Oh, I forgot to mention: getting these off the rims requires a hacksaw.
The Greentyre version came off w/o cutting tools. I find it hard to believe that Tannus would be single-assembly items.
Old 04-20-20, 03:22 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by streetstomper
As for flats, it's not an "odd fear."... Sitting on the side of the road changing or patching a tube ... is a lot more than just "inconvenient."
I’ve got Raynauld’s. And I ride through the winter. For me, stopping to fix a flat carries a real risk of frostbite. I’ve lost nails to it. Which is why I went to the effort of making a studded set of solid tires for winter use.
Old 04-20-20, 04:30 AM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
Well YouTube videos look even worse than putting on rims than Continental or Schwalbe touring tires. After years of that the Tannus/ wheel combo sounds like a good deal to me.
No such thing as a hard-to-install tire. User error. And I know that because I used to be that guy. I would fight the Conti GP5000, curse it, hurt my fingers and come close to snapping my levers in half. Now I put them on so quickly and easily that it's hard to believe it's the same tire. Mounted a brand-new GP5K yesterday, it went on with zero drama.
Old 10-17-21, 09:21 PM
JosephT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rider Weight And Rolling Resistance

Rider weight is going to significantly affect rolling resistance as well as speed. If you weigh over 200 lbs (I do), then the rolling resistance is going to be much, much higher than than the quoted 2-8 percent difference. And, it's going to increase almost exponentially with increasing weight and speed. I just put a pair of these on my bike and to me, it's a no-go. Hell, I was coasting to a stop coming down light inclines. That's insane. I'm going back to conventional tires before my next ride. If you are over 200 lbs and ride over 15 miles per hour, save your money.