Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

'Why Women Are Biking in Record Numbers in N.Y.C.'

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 10-08-20, 12:35 AM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 64 Posts

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/07/n...vid-women.html Not that much of a record.
Old 10-08-20, 06:06 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 244 Posts
I ride outside NYC, and the cyclists I see (99.9%) are riding for fitness not transportation, so I'm not sure how relevant my post is to the article posted, but:

I've noticed an increase in women cycling over the past 30 years, and the trend has really accelerated in the past 2 years or so. 30 years ago it was very rare to see a woman cycling, and the few women you did see were nearly always accompanied by at least one man, often it was one woman in a group of men. Now, I pass (ahem, get passed, usually) by whole groups of women, women in pairs, occasionally women cycling by themselves. The difference in the number of women cycling in my area is quite striking, this year in particular.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 10-08-20, 09:00 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
Correct, the article provides no information about how many bicyclists, male or female are riding a bicyclefor any purpose in NYC before of after the spread of COVID 19. The article only refers to percentage increases and provides no reference to actual numbers involved. Nor does it even make any reference to what percentage of NYC adult residents ride a bike for transportation, recreation or any other purpose in the city, daily, frequently or never.

The source (Strava Metro) of the "estimates" is also questionable for drawing conclusions about the bicycling population, especially questionable about providing useful data about non-enthusiasts, who are not that likely to log every trip on Strava.

Unanswered is just how many "new" virus inspired NYC bike commuters, male or female who are now using Citi Bike or their own bike will continue to do so when the weather turns nasty, or when the virus is contained enough to reconsider using public transport for commuting.
Old 10-08-20, 11:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18322 Post(s)
Liked 15,303 Times in 7,232 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination

I've noticed an increase in women cycling over the past 30 years, and the trend has really accelerated in the past 2 years or so. 30 years ago it was very rare to see a woman cycling, and the few women you did see were nearly always accompanied by at least one man, often it was one woman in a group of men. Now, I pass (ahem, get passed, usually) by whole groups of women, women in pairs, occasionally women cycling by themselves. The difference in the number of women cycling in my area is quite striking, this year in particular.
Same here in Philly, where I have been riding for fitness, transportation and enjoyment since the mid-80s. There are even now 2 organized women's groups in the city that I know of and likely some that I do not know of. I am willing to bet that some of the increase can be attributable to the exposure the activity got from having the U,S. Pro road race in the city every year starting around '85 and for many years after that. At some point a women's race was added. The starts were staggered so both men and women were on the course at the same time but did not interfere with each other. Even after the men's road championship was moved there was a big, pro race in town every year until a few years ago. Participation in charity events and organized club centuries has also markedly increased over the decades.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-09-20, 07:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
So to sum the article--both Strava and Citibike show large increases in the number of women riders (those are probably opposite ends of the recreation vs. utility rider continuum, BTW), this trend may or may not be slowing as traffic returns to NYC, and some people are saying that the city should take this time to start rolling out infrastructure to encourage these women and others to keep riding. Further, the article makes the completely unremarkable observation that a person is more likely to ride if they've already started riding.

You may argue about the efficacy of turning out infrastructure in turning this into a permanent increase in ridership (female or otherwise), but the rest seems pretty unassailable. No outlandish claims are extrapolated from the obviously limited data.

It's a given that there will be about 3-5 months per year where weather makes widespread riding problematic, that hardly seems like an argument against encouraging cycling for the balance of the year.
Old 10-09-20, 11:29 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
FWIW, lots of people on the “utility” spectrum use crowd source fitness apps like Strava, Garmin, Wahoo, Runkeeper, etc....

And Strava can figure out where people lie on the recreational/utility spectrum.

Hint - sunny weekend ride of a few hours from A->A, maybe with a brief stop at a coffee shop or pub? Recreational dude.

Weekday 10ish km morning from A->B for eightish hours and then return from B-> A at night, with a stop at market? Not recreational dude.

All the lonely people, where do they all come from?

The rest of us see what is happening.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 10-09-20, 11:31 AM
mr_bill

p.s. Nobody who owns their own bike would ever use bikeshare.

Except we do.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 10-09-20, 01:59 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by mr_bill
FWIW, lots of people on the “utility” spectrum use crowd source fitness apps like Strava, Garmin, Wahoo, Runkeeper, etc....

-mr. bill
References to "Lots of people" or the growth in membership in bicycle club or two is almost as precise and informative of the current status of cycling and cyclist behavior (especially for commuting) in NYC as the OP article referring to growth and the "record numbers" of cyclists based totally on percentage growth with no reference to any actual number of bicyclists doing anything. As is well known one of the best methods to mislead is though use of percentage change without referring to any baseline numbers.

Using stats from the Census info at AmericanFactFinder2017 (the latest easily found online - perhaps some googling hound might sniff out more recent stats) the number of female commuters in NYC was 2,254,429, the total number of female bicycle commuters was 15,960, 0.71% of the female commuting population.

Note that 61.9% of all female commuters were using public transit prior to the COVID outbreak. It wouldn't take many "new" bicycle commuters, who were avoiding public transit due to concerns about COVID to boost the "growth percentage" of an alternative that previously only had a tiny slice of the total commuting population. Especially when a relatively high number of NYC commuters do not have access to their own privately owned motor vehicle.

A 147% growth over the 2017 number of female commuter cyclists would be 23,461 bike commuters and the total of 39,21 female commuters (the 2017 reported total + the 147% growth) would still amount to only 1.75% of the female commuters in NYC.

The bottom line is yes, there has been growth in bicycle commuting in NYC. The previous slice of NYC commuters who used bicycles for that function was abysmally low and remains so, and not worthy of much bragging about the positive effects of advocacy efforts on bicycle commuting. The advocacy/fluff pieces like the OP article that only address percentage growth may be good click bait but hardly give an accurate picture of the current status of bicycle commuting in NYC or future trends.

Edit: 2019 Stats from the Census data:
https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table...T1Y2019.B08406

I will do a little spreadsheet work to come up with more current analysis of growth for NYC commuters and see if the above needs any significant amending.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 10-09-20 at 02:11 PM. Reason: sniffed out more currents statsmyself
Old 10-09-20, 02:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

And Strava can figure out where people lie on the recreational/utility spectrum.

Hint - sunny weekend ride of a few hours from A->A, maybe with a brief stop at a coffee shop or pub? Recreational dude.

Weekday 10ish km morning from A->B for eightish hours and then return from B-> A at night, with a stop at market? Not recreational dude.

All the lonely people, where do they all come from?

-mr. bill
p.s. Nobody who owns their own bike would ever use bikeshare.

Except we do.

-mr. bill

Used it last Thanksgiving visiting my dad in Arlington, VA. Did a nice loop across the river, and around The Mall. My sister was staying in DC proper, so I was able to break the trip up into roughly 30 minute segments to avoid the cash penalties.

Nice sightseeing, not great riding. I'd do it again if I was visiting somewhere.

Spectrum implies tendencies with possibly weak correlations. I don't think it's a huge stretch to think that someone who commutes by bikeshare is not your typical user of Strava.

Bike usage data is inherently likely to be weak, but from what I hear, it's been impossible to ride in any major city this year and not notice an appreciable difference.

I really don't have an ax to grind here, but the idea that we would want to encourage some of the new riders to stick to it seems rather unassailable except by you know who.
Old 10-09-20, 02:27 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Using stats Edit: 2019 Stats from the Census data:
https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table...T1Y2019.B08406
the number of female commuters in NYC was 2,281,507, the total number of female bicycle commuters was 13,002, 0.57% of the female commuting population.

Note that 61.59% of all female commuters were using public transit prior to the COVID outbreak. It wouldn't take many "new" bicycle commuters, who were avoiding public transit due to concerns about COVID to boost the "growth percentage" of an alternative that previously only had a tiny slice of the total commuting population. Especially when a relatively high number of NYC commuters do not have access to their own privately owned motor vehicle.

A 147% growth over the 2019 number of female commuter cyclists would be 23,461 bike commuters and the total of 39,21 female commuters (the 2019 reported total + the 147% growth) would still amount to only 1.41% of the female commuters in NYC.

With the newer stats that provide actual totals, rather than just changes in % terms, I noticed that the total number of female bicycle commuters in NYC shrunk from 2017 to 2019.

The bottom line is yes, there has been growth recently in bicycle commuting in NYC. The previous slice of NYC commuters who used bicycles for that function was abysmally low and remains so, and not worthy of much bragging about the positive effects of advocacy efforts on bicycle commuting. The advocacy/fluff pieces like the OP article that only address percentage growth may be good click bait but hardly give an accurate picture of the current status of bicycle commuting in NYC or future trends.
Old 10-09-20, 04:36 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Not much of a record, indeed. The NYT article doesn't provide much of a record for an advocate to be encouraged by except for a sexy click bait headline. Maybe that is encouraging enough for those individuals in certain advocacy (and safety) circles who believe referencing anecdotes, statistical fluff, and straw man arguments will "encourage" others to be like themselves.
Old 10-10-20, 06:59 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Yes Virginia, there is a direct relationship between the number of cars on the road and how dangerous the road is.
Old 10-10-20, 09:16 AM
CycleCommuter

Bikes: 3Rensho Tandem, Waterford 1200, Gunnar Roadie, Aegis

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I am always glad to see any statistics or articles supporting the growth of bicycling and as someone who regularly commutes and cycles for pleasure throughout all of the 5 boroughs and the surrounding tri-state area, I can say that I have seen an increase in bicycle use.

One of the most important components to increasing bicycle use is creating infrastructure to support it's growth because while there are many experienced cyclists who will brave NYC's streets without separate bicycle lanes or greenways, if we want to support the growth of new and less experienced cyclists we need to make it safe and comfortable to ride.

When our family moved from the Upper West Side to the Bronx, it was the Hudson River Greenway that made it possible for my daughter and I to commute every day the 5 miles back to her school starting in 2nd grade. I would have never done this without a separate greenway as my daughter was riding her own bicycle. She moved to riding on her own at the end of middle school, again something I would not have supported without a separate greenway.

Part of that infrastructure is also the rental City Bike program, which allows new riders to try out cycling, whether for commuting or pleasure, without having to invest in a bicycle themselves.

​​​​​​The atmosphere that we as experienced cyclists help create a space that can be supportive of new cyclists or unfortunately sometimes not supportive. Unfortunately, the municipality plays a negative role too, as in NYC where many of our safe infrastructure spaces have been invaded by electric motorcycles, making it an unsafe place for new and experienced cyclists.

As far as female cyclists I have seen a growth in riders over the last 18 years I have been cycling on the streets of NYC. I do believe I have noticed an increase of female cyclists over the months of the pandemic.
Old 10-11-20, 04:30 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
No motor vehicle collisions at North Pole

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Yes Virginia, there is a direct relationship between the number of cars on the road and how dangerous the road is.
This:

https://www.nsc.org/in-the-newsroom/...te-quarantines

Just to be clear: If I’m on an empty road my motor vehicle collision risk is zero.

But from there, the relationship with traffic load is not linear.

Last edited by flangehead; 10-11-20 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 10-11-20, 02:14 PM
mr_bill

re: liker who is broken record

TL;DNR

In USA, women make up a significant percentage of people who play soccer.
WHO THE HELL CARES, nobody plays soccer in the USA. People play football, baseball, basketball, and even hockey. NOBODY PLAYS SOCCER!

Gets old. Real old. Over and over and over again.

(p.s. More women commute by bicycle in New York City than PEOPLE work in your tiny city.)

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 10-11-20, 02:17 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by flangehead
This:

Just to be clear: If I’m on an empty road my motor vehicle collision risk is zero.

It's been odd around here, because the road is NEVER ever truly empty. Nearly empty, yes.

Crowded roads are easy - they are the traffic they are stuck in.

But a nearly empty road. Speed limits? ¿Que es eso? So, it's actually often MORE dangerous now in some ways. (This is also part of the reason why early morning and late nite sucks.)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-11-20 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-11-20, 03:02 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

TL;DNR
Nuff said; that explains the irrelevant OT gibberish.
I suspect you did read and would rather stick with an alternate version of reality, and searched Google in vain intently trying to find actual facts to dispute what you read. So snark will have to remain your "best" argument.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 10-11-20 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-11-20, 03:08 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
This:

It's not rare for single-vehicle collisions to result in death.

Oct.12, 2020
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/man-46-dead-following-collision-highway-412-1.5759473

Last edited by Daniel4; 10-13-20 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-12-20, 05:23 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike

The bottom line is yes, there has been growth recently in bicycle commuting in NYC. The previous slice of NYC commuters who used bicycles for that function was abysmally low and remains so, and not worthy of much bragging about the positive effects of advocacy efforts on bicycle commuting. The advocacy/fluff pieces like the OP article that only address percentage growth may be good click bait but hardly give an accurate picture of the current status of bicycle commuting in NYC or future trends.
It did not seem to me that the article bragged about " the positive effects of advocacy efforts on bicycle commuting." It seemed pretty clear that the increase was entirely attributable to Covid. The article did quote advocates as hoping the new interest would continue and even grow. Which is the response advocates would be expected to have. But the article did not assert that their hopes were likely to mirror future trends. What did you find to be inaccurate?

Yes, the overall percentage of bicycle commuters is not high. Bicycling is not all that popular in the US. However, this forum consists of bicyclists so a significant increase in the number of bicycle commuters is of interest. Most of what is discussed on these pages is of little interest to those who are not actively interested in cycling. We all understand that it's a niche activity, so I'm not sure what your point is there.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 10-12-20, 06:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by jon c.
It did not seem to me that the article bragged about " the positive effects of advocacy efforts on bicycle commuting." It seemed pretty clear that the increase was entirely attributable to Covid. The article did quote advocates as hoping the new interest would continue and even grow. Which is the response advocates would be expected to have. But the article did not assert that their hopes were likely to mirror future trends. What did you find to be inaccurate?

Yes, the overall percentage of bicycle commuters is not high. Bicycling is not all that popular in the US. However, this forum consists of bicyclists so a significant increase in the number of bicycle commuters is of interest. Most of what is discussed on these pages is of little interest to those who are not actively interested in cycling. We all understand that it's a niche activity, so I'm not sure what your point is there.

Also, these things generally do have a tipping point where the activity becomes less "fringe". None of us knows where that may be, but a larger hard core of commuters could have much larger effects down the line. Or it's going to go away when it gets cold. Who knows?

​​​​​​There's something in the water in Iowa that seems to cause someone to repeatedly "refute" a point that the article never made.
Old 10-19-20, 12:02 PM
mr_bill

"I’ve been reminding myself that New York will, hopefully, never be quite like this again, and I’ve been trying to take stock of the good changes: parks where every blanket has a picnic and an open bottle of wine, the outdoor dining that I always envied in Europe, and streets closed to cars and covered in chalk drawings. When New York is back at full steam, I hope we’ll keep at least a bit of that spirit."

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-19-20 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Fix URL
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 10-28-20, 09:23 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Several women I know picked up cycling this year as their run groups disbanded, now they ride in 3-5 person smaller groups.
Old 10-28-20, 02:13 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Why shouldnt women ride for fun and fitness.
Old 10-28-20, 03:30 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by rydabent
Why shouldnt women ride for fun and fitness.
?
Did anyone here or anywhere else suggest that women, men or anybody else should not ride for fun, fitness or any other reason?
Old 10-28-20, 04:43 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
?
Did anyone here or anywhere else suggest that women, men or anybody else should not ride for fun, fitness or any other reason?
Believable. So totally believable.

-mr. bill

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.