Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Fleeing Criminal Kills Bicyclist

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-24, 12:53 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 278 Posts

It appears a wantabee car thief fleeing the police moed down a bicyclist then lost control of the car and crashed into 8 other vehicles while flipping over in the vehicle he was driving. He then attempted to flee the seen and was aprehended by police.

https://bikinginla.com/2024/04/24/in...-at-the-scene/
Old 04-25-24, 01:55 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,010 Times in 1,934 Posts
with how many chases that take place by me, I'm surprised something like that hasn't happened here.
Old 04-25-24, 02:44 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked 2,997 Times in 1,506 Posts
punishment/

charged with murder-deserves the death penalty.
Old 04-26-24, 10:59 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
It appears a wantabee car thief fleeing the police moed down a bicyclist then lost control of the car and crashed into 8 other vehicles while flipping over in the vehicle he was driving. He then attempted to flee the seen and was aprehended by police.

https://bikinginla.com/2024/04/24/in...-at-the-scene/
A cyclist becoming a collateral victim of criminal activity, does not meet even a low bar for coverage in A&S. Your many crimes against English Grammar and Composition in your short o.p. are a total distraction to any information you may have wanted to convey.
Old 04-27-24, 08:42 AM
Rick

Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 278 Posts
Leisesturm Posted: Your many crimes against English Grammar and Composition in your short o.p. are a total distraction to any information you may have wanted to convey.
I don't believe that my post comes to the level of a crime for incorrectness. I do believe that you are an excelent drama queen and as usual you are in a scheisse mood.
Old 04-28-24, 03:50 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 420 Posts
Any collision which harms a cyclist or pedestrian should be considered a crime, and that is the case here in Japan. If a driver kills a pedestrian or cyclist, they must serve a mandatory jail sentence, and that sentence begins from the moment of their arrest. That is why Japan’s traffic fatality rate is 6 times lower than America’s.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 04-29-24, 05:29 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Any collision which harms a cyclist or pedestrian should be considered a crime, and that is the case here in Japan. If a driver kills a pedestrian or cyclist, they must serve a mandatory jail sentence, and that sentence begins from the moment of their arrest. That is why Japan’s traffic fatality rate is 6 times lower than America’s.
innocent until proven guilty ... it is applied to these such cases, but if you get pulled over for a "suspicion" of something, then watch how quickly the script is flipped.
Old 04-29-24, 07:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6250 Post(s)
Liked 4,851 Times in 3,344 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
I don't think that's correct. They can pay a one million Yen fine that works out to about 6,385.40 USD or a jail sentence.

However the penalty for cycling while intoxicated is the same as driving while intoxicated and is the same one million yen fine or a jail sentence.

But in both cases, those are only the maximum penalty and are subject to the whims of their authorities too.

I might be wrong. I was just curious about your statement and tried to find out. As far as the articles dealing with such that are dated 2020 or more recent.
Old 04-29-24, 08:54 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Iride01
However the penalty for cycling while intoxicated is the same as driving while intoxicated and is the same one million yen fine or a jail sentence.

But in both cases, those are only the maximum penalty and are subject to the whims of their authorities too.
The law would need to separate the two with verbiage such as "motorized" & "Non Motorized" modes of transportation in order to segregate the punishment terms.
Old 04-29-24, 08:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Troul
The law would need to separate the two with verbiage such as "motorized" & "Non Motorized" modes of transportation in order to segregate the punishment terms.
So now we are discussing what the law will need to do?

I'm not really to certain why motorized and non-motorized make a difference to you. Is there a difference if a negligent motorist causing a accident kills another motorist as opposed to a non-motorist?
Old 04-29-24, 09:03 AM
Troul 

So now we are discussing what the law will need to do?

I'm not really to certain why motorized and non-motorized make a difference to you. Is there a difference if a negligent motorist causing a accident kills another motorist as opposed to a non-motorist?
it's one of many factors, not just solely the main factor that the change would consider in the case's outcome.

Maybe, maybe not. Would need a current case that requires my participation to determine how I'd differentiate it.
Old 04-29-24, 09:32 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

it's one of many factors, not just solely the main factor that the change would consider in the case's outcome.

Maybe, maybe not. Would need a current case that requires my participation to determine how I'd differentiate it.
Oh, the if's and's and but's.

Let's not get into those or you, maybe even I, might be living up to the word that is a homophone of your member moniker.
Old 04-29-24, 09:51 AM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 182 Posts
Exhibit "A" for why sometimes it is best for the police to let the bad guys go and try to track him down later.
Old 04-29-24, 10:28 AM
Troul 

Oh, the if's and's and but's.

Let's not get into those or you, maybe even I, might be living up to the word that is a homophone of your member moniker.
you are free to dictate your decisions, you are not free to do so with mine.
Old 04-29-24, 10:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

you are free to dictate your decisions, you are not free to do so with mine.
Are you so insecure that you have to make bold statements to a simple request? It's not like I was commanding you.

You need to understand how conversation works. Don't be so uptight.
Old 04-29-24, 02:27 PM
Troul 

Are you so insecure that you have to make bold statements to a simple request? It's not like I was commanding you.

You need to understand how conversation works. Don't be so uptight.
hey, look at that, you caught on!
Old 04-29-24, 03:21 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 420 Posts
I don't think that's correct. They can pay a one million Yen fine that works out to about 6,385.40 USD or a jail sentence.

I might be wrong. I was just curious about your statement and tried to find out. As far as the articles dealing with such that are dated 2020 or more recent.
I’ve never seen anyone involved in a fatal accident in Japan who hasn’t gotten a jail sentence. These incidents make the news regularly. I was curious about the subject as I was a traffic homicide investigator in America before moving to Japan. It is possible that sentences are suspended in certain cases, but one will still be detained while the matter plays out.

You may remember Johnny Somali, the American who was arrested for trespassing on a construction site in Osaka, he spent several months in jail before his case came to court, after which he was given a suspended prison sentence, 200,000 yen fine, and deported.

Another case which was in the news fairly recently was a Japanese man fleeing from the police in his car, he hit and killed two pedestrians. He was given a death sentence after conviction, but this was later reduced to life in prison.

Japan’s system is based upon the American military system, as Japan’s constitution was written by the American occupation forces after the War. Japan doesn’t quite follow the “innocent until proven guilty” principle, the only real right you have is the right to remain silent.

Last edited by 50PlusCycling; 04-29-24 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-02-24, 12:34 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
A cyclist becoming a collateral victim of criminal activity, does not meet even a low bar for coverage in A&S. Your many crimes against English Grammar and Composition in your short o.p. are a total distraction to any information you may have wanted to convey.
Go to the Yutube video "word crimes" by Weird Al Yankovic for some comic relief.