Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Six-Million Dollar Man......Goose

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-23, 04:52 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts

A number of years ago someone in a local classified advertised a Mangoose bicycle for sale. Of course it was a Mongoose, but they spelled it wrong or had a typo they did not care to correct. But ever since then a buddy and myself have had fun calling various bicycle brands by the wrong spellings they are advertised as in local classifieds instead of their real names, and there is always plenty of them.

Anyway a few days ago I pulled this Mangoose out of a trash pile someone had put out to the curb. I thought I could fix it up and give it to some neighborhood kid that needed a bike and have fun in the process. It looked like its only problem was brakes that did not work, the front brake having a broken lever. The original lever had a plastic clamp/pivot and had snapped in half. So the search for a replacement began.

I saw another cheap 20" bike of similar quality in a dumpster by a local scrapyard while on a ride, but there was a sign saying they had video surveillance and they were closed, and I did not have the tools with me so that did not work out.

I drove to Target, WalMart and Bert's Bikes and the big-box stores had nothing and Bert's wanted $15 for a single brake lever assembly.

The dumpster at a local cycle shop had a pair of 7-speed Shimano rapid-fire shift/bake combos sitting in it. After a while I got the idea of cutting the shifter mechanism off one of these so that only the brake lever part was left, I looked at it and it seemed like it would work so got the band-saw and a hand-file and sharpie marker out and the result was pretty good. It fit on the Mangoose well and looked fine, and now it has a front brake.

So I figure if I count my time driving and riding around looking for a brake lever, then the time cutting down the Shimano item and fiddling with it, I only have about $300 invested in the Mangoose so far. Another few hundred dollars worth of time and it will be ready for some youngster to enjoy for the summer before throwing out on their curb on trash night once again. !!!

Likes For beng1:
Old 04-22-23, 06:20 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7046 Post(s)
Liked 11,094 Times in 4,739 Posts
tl;dr
Old 04-22-23, 06:24 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3707 Post(s)
Liked 5,541 Times in 2,803 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
A number of years ago someone in a local classified advertised a Mangoose bicycle for sale. Of course it was a Mongoose, but they spelled it wrong or had a typo they did not care to correct. But ever since then a buddy and myself have had fun calling various bicycle brands by the wrong spellings they are advertised as in local classifieds instead of their real names, and there is always plenty of them.

Anyway a few days ago I pulled this Mangoose out of a trash pile someone had put out to the curb. I thought I could fix it up and give it to some neighborhood kid that needed a bike and have fun in the process. It looked like its only problem was brakes that did not work, the front brake having a broken lever. The original lever had a plastic clamp/pivot and had snapped in half. So the search for a replacement began.

I saw another cheap 20" bike of similar quality in a dumpster by a local scrapyard while on a ride, but there was a sign saying they had video surveillance and they were closed, and I did not have the tools with me so that did not work out.

I drove to Target, WalMart and Bert's Bikes and the big-box stores had nothing and Bert's wanted $15 for a single brake lever assembly.

The dumpster at a local cycle shop had a pair of 7-speed Shimano rapid-fire shift/bake combos sitting in it. After a while I got the idea of cutting the shifter mechanism off one of these so that only the brake lever part was left, I looked at it and it seemed like it would work so got the band-saw and a hand-file and sharpie marker out and the result was pretty good. It fit on the Mangoose well and looked fine, and now it has a front brake.

So I figure if I count my time driving and riding around looking for a brake lever, then the time cutting down the Shimano item and fiddling with it, I only have about $300 invested in the Mangoose so far. Another few hundred dollars worth of time and it will be ready for some youngster to enjoy for the summer before throwing out on their curb on trash night once again. !!!

Old 04-24-23, 08:21 AM
beng1
Banned

Yesterday I cut the other rapid-fire up and made a matching brake lever for the right side. Next will go dumpster-diving again and try to find a cable long enough to work the rear brakes, I am doing away with the freestyle brake mechanism that let's you rotate the bars 360 degrees because it is not quality and does not work well enough to let the rear brake be effective. Since I had one lever under my belt, cutting up the other rapid-fire assembly went more quickly, so maybe only another hundred bucks labor dumped in.
Old 04-24-23, 08:34 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3974 Post(s)
Liked 7,409 Times in 2,981 Posts
Yesterday I cut the other rapid-fire up and made a matching brake lever for the right side. Next will go dumpster-diving again and try to find a cable long enough to work the rear brakes, I am doing away with the freestyle brake mechanism that let's you rotate the bars 360 degrees because it is not quality and does not work well enough to let the rear brake be effective. Since I had one lever under my belt, cutting up the other rapid-fire assembly went more quickly, so maybe only another hundred bucks labor dumped in.
You’ve got 40 hours of labor in this project already?
Old 04-24-23, 08:26 PM
beng1
Banned

Today I gave the bike to a group of kids playing basketball in the city park on my block. Got it out of my hair and the kids were having fun with it. Now I can move to the 5843th project on my list.
Old 04-25-23, 06:11 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 278 Posts
Fixing up dumpster finds can only be done after one collects about a dozen of them first, so on the 13th one, it's a sure bet you'll find whatever it needs off the first 12.

I admit there is a thrill in restoring/repairing a bike that has been rescued from its ashes, I make sure I achieve the same with only resellable bikes that I can flip fast so I get paid and paid well for it. I won't go into details of my business, but it starts with avoiding anything that sucks my time and makes me spend money.
Old 04-25-23, 02:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11015 Post(s)
Liked 7,562 Times in 4,221 Posts
Anyway a few days ago I pulled this Mangoose out of a trash pile someone had put out to the curb.
The original lever had a plastic clamp/pivot and had snapped in half. So the search for a replacement began.
The dumpster at a local cycle shop had a pair of 7-speed Shimano rapid-fire shift/bake combos sitting in it...It fit on the Mangoose well and looked fine, and now it has a front brake.

This is...insane.
How do you have $300 invested in the bike? You garbage picked the bike, you garbage picked the brake. What money has been invested? It looks like youve spent $0.
If you are claiming your time is worth money, it isnt. It simply isnt.
And how can another few hundred dollars worth of time be needed before the bike is ready for some kid? Thats $600 of 'worth' for the bike. Come on now, thats absurd.

Dont look now, but that bike retails for $88 and can be purchased new for $50.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mongoose-...lver/324996846
https://mongoosebike.cc/mongoose-mal...ike-p-190.html
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-25-23, 04:38 PM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
This is...insane.
How do you have $300 invested in the bike?
Dont look now, but that bike retails for $88 and can be purchased new for $50.
Pssssssssssst. If you take any object in your possession to a skilled mechanic, craftsman, repair-person or fabricator and have them work on it they are going to charge you fifty to a hundred dollars an hour. Maybe you can look some of these people up and give them your brain to work on, it would be a great investment for you.
Old 04-26-23, 04:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Pssssssssssst. If you take any object in your possession to a skilled mechanic, craftsman, repair-person or fabricator and have them work on it they are going to charge you fifty to a hundred dollars an hour. Maybe you can look some of these people up and give them your brain to work on, it would be a great investment for you.

So you're valuing your labor at the rate we'd pay a mechanic to do brain surgery? Sounds about right.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-26-23, 04:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18459 Post(s)
Liked 15,713 Times in 7,386 Posts
Just like his time here isn’t worth anything.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-26-23, 07:18 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 541 Posts
So, what exactly makes a Master Millwright so uniquely qualified as a bike mechanic, anyway?

If you're going to value your time at $75-100/hr for bike work, I'm going to expect more than chopped -up dumpster parts. Do better.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 04-26-23, 07:31 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

I continue to initially think you are trolling, then I remember your views on fit, bikes, etc and remember you are serious with this stuff.
Oh my gosh.

- You arent a skilled mechanic. You definitely arent a skilled fabricator.
- Just buy the parts for $15 and you dont then have to count your 'labor' as a higher cost. Why are you 'spending' $150 for 2 hours of work when you can spend $15 on the component and have it installed in 2 minutes?
- You dont have $300 invested in that Mongoose because that assumes you would be earning actual money if you werent 'improving' the Mongoose. That is a poor assumption since you would likely otherwise be tinkering with something else, riding your bike, watching TV, or engaging in other leisure activities.
---- This is important to understand- your time is not inherently worth money. It just isnt. No matter what you want to be true, no matter what someone else may claim, your time is not always worth money. If it were, then you would be able to sell that Mongoose for $300 right now. Good luck with that.
- Why are you trying to count riding around as money(time) spent working on the Mongoose?

To respond to your absurd equation of your time spent rebuilding a cheap kids bike to a skilled mechanic or fabricator- if an auto mechanic had a car that didnt work and they wanted to sell it, would they spend countless hours working on it if in the end they wouldnt be able to sell the car for anything close to what they put into the car? Of course they wouldnt do that because that would be dumb. It would be bad business.

You are not a skilled mechanic.
You do not have $300 invested in that dumpster dive bike.
You will not have $600 invested in that dumpster dive bike if you continue to work on it.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-26-23, 07:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
So, what exactly makes a Master Millwright so uniquely qualified as a bike mechanic, anyway?

If you're going to value your time at $75-100/hr for bike work, I'm going to expect more than chopped -up dumpster parts. Do better.

It's really worse than that. The time he's "billing" here includes mostly time spent searching for and diving various dumpsters and adapting the dumpster-found part for replacement use. What's the market hourly rate for that kind of labor? I pay a mechanic for shop time working on the bike, not for scrounging around town for hours looking for a part that would be $15 new and adapting it to fit. He's set the value on that search and adaptation time--it's $15, the price he would've paid to purchase a suitable new part that would not have to be adapted.

Honestly, if the OP actually had a sense of humor, this could have been an amusing story of how he had fun putting together a beater bike for some kids to totally destroy yet again. Instead, it's now going to be a debate about the under-valuing of dumpster-diving labor.

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-26-23 at 07:50 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-26-23, 02:22 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Quoted: 3560 Post(s)
Liked 2,976 Times in 1,800 Posts
Pssssssssssst. If you take any object in your possession to a skilled mechanic, craftsman, repair-person or fabricator and have them work on it they are going to charge you fifty to a hundred dollars an hour.
Pssssssssssst. I've seen your "work." I wouldn't pay you for it.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-26-23, 05:11 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Surely you'd pay for a bong1 bike fit....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-26-23, 05:40 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Surely you'd pay for a bong1 bike fit....
Might be worth it to see how a Dura Ace aero seatpost looks backwards. I couldn’t bear to do it myself.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-26-23, 08:09 PM
beng1
Banned

You are not a skilled mechanic..
I am a union inside lineman. I could go to work any day for union wages anywhere in the USA. The total package of wages and benefits of a union outside lineman is $60 to over $100 depending on which union hall you work out of.
I went to school for tool&die and worked for The Warren Company, steel fabricating shop in the 1980s before going BACK into the electrical trade. Went to school for welding, jewelry-making and worked with a charter member of the American Horological Association, Edmund Lada, repairing mechanical wrist-watches. Took four years of art classes from the famous water-color painter Jean Stull learning lost-wax casting and silver soldering etc.. And built this little 17-foot tall barn from scratch with hand-tools, not power tools, in summer of 2019 with wood from local Amish sawmills. Rebuilt my first automobile engine when I was 18, father was a British motorcycle dealer and have rebuilt British motorcycle engines etc.. Just put a new clutch in my Toyota in my driveway, also a timing belt, water pump etc.. I have forgotten how to do more with my hands than anyone else on this forum will ever learn to do.

Also, if you call a plumber, they will charge you eighty bucks or more just to drive to your house, all transportation and other overhead is always part of the cost of doing business.

Nothing though is more valuable than doing what you want to , when you want to. To me, or any really sane or educated person, that is priceless, and that is what I have been lucky enough to do most of my life. That and a few other things you do not have the capacity to understand makes me the wealthiest man on earth, and I would not trade what I have for any amount of cash.
Old 04-26-23, 08:14 PM
smd4

I am a union inside lineman. I could go to work any day for union wages anywhere in the USA. The total package of wages and benefits of a union outside lineman is $60 to over $100 depending on which union hall you work out of.
I went to school for tool&die and worked for The Warren Company, steel fabricating shop in the 1980s before going BACK into the electrical trade. Went to school for welding, jewelry-making and worked with a charter member of the American Horological Association, Edmund Lada, repairing mechanical wrist-watches. Took four years of art classes from the famous water-color painter Jean Stull learning lost-wax casting and silver soldering etc.. And built this little 17-foot tall barn from scratch with hand-tools, not power tools, in summer of 2019 with wood from local Amish sawmills. Rebuilt my first automobile engine when I was 18, father was a British motorcycle dealer and have rebuilt British motorcycle engines etc.. Just put a new clutch in my Toyota in my driveway, also a timing belt, water pump etc.. I have forgotten how to do more with my hands than anyone else on this forum will ever learn to do.
Perhaps. It’s unfortunate those skills don’t seem to be applied to the bikes you own.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-26-23, 08:17 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3974 Post(s)
Liked 7,409 Times in 2,981 Posts
... Took four years of art classes from the famous water-color painter Jean Stull learning lost-wax casting and silver soldering etc ...
That's like taking ski lessons from a famous rugby player.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-26-23, 08:38 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Also, if you call a plumber, they will charge you eighty bucks or more just to drive to your house, all transportation and other overhead is always part of the cost of doing business.

Nothing though is more valuable than doing what you want to , when you want to. To me, or any really sane or educated person, that is priceless, and that is what I have been lucky enough to do most of my life. That and a few other things you do not have the capacity to understand makes me the wealthiest man on earth, and I would not trade what I have for any amount of cash.
And yet there is quite a disparity between your alleged talents and the mechanical kludge/aesthetic abominations you are fond of posting.
Old 04-26-23, 11:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-27-23, 03:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

So you choose to spend hours looking for a $15 part for a crap bike that no one is looking for, and make that the basis for lecturing us on your obviously superior way of life?

I sense that this may be an argument you're having with your spouse.
​​​​​
Old 04-27-23, 10:00 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 657 Times in 389 Posts
Maybe it's a Mangoose NFT...
Old 04-27-23, 11:37 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7046 Post(s)
Liked 11,094 Times in 4,739 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Just like his time here isn’t worth anything.
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
There is always an opportunity cost (=value of next-best opportunity that would have been pursued) for any use of time. In that sense, if beng1 would have been working for wages instead of fixing the bike, then yes, the bike cost him the sum of money that was foregone. That is true ONLY if he actually did take time away from paid labor to fix up the bike. But that has little to do with the bike's value, which is determined by myriad other factors.

Example: If I were still working, I could (conservatively) bill at $200/hr for consulting work. If I actually skip such an opportunity in order to do housework, then yeah, my housework costs me $200/hr. But the housework is probably only worth $25/hr or so, which is what those services sell for in my area.
Likes For Koyote:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.