Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Watch out for deer!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Watch out for deer!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-22, 09:06 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 2,625 Times in 1,237 Posts
Recently I've been menaced more by car doors, but I think of this video everytime I ride across the bridge and head into Sausalito.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 07-13-22, 09:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10468 Post(s)
Liked 11,969 Times in 6,129 Posts
This year, I've noticed a whole lot more deer during the daylight hours. I suspect this is because while we had a very wet October-December, it's been very dry since January, and this has driven them to spend more time foraging as well as to seek suburban food sources earlier in the year.

BTW, in my family I have the moniker "Deerslayer" because I have hit deer with cars 3 separate times(not the same deer!), whereas nobody else in my family has hit even one. My preferred weapon is a '66 Ford station wagon...

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-13-22, 10:15 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3477 Post(s)
Liked 3,615 Times in 1,814 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Location of field dressing. Entrails in the backyard is kind of yucky, ethics of fair chase aside.

Nonetheless, being broadside on a bicycle by a deer running 25-30 mph could be deadly. Bears? Only saw two riding. One in NJ and the other in Oregon or Idaho (wasn't sure which state I was in at the time but over that way). Bears aren't stupid like deer. Deer will typically recognize a cyclist as as a two legged predator type of object but go for ride on a recumbent and those deer won't move. A local cyclist who I only know from doing rides she goes on was hit by one and I understand she was hospitalized for over a week. I have found deer to be completely unpredictable except an old graying Doe by a local church, it will run alongside me. If I stop, it stops. I cannot shoe it away. Really weird.
My buddy hit a grizzly in Glacier NP. He spent a week in the hospital with a collapsed lung. The bear was fine.

Old 07-13-22, 11:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18449 Post(s)
Liked 15,683 Times in 7,372 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Entrails in the backyard is kind of yucky, ethics of fair chase aside.

Bears? Only saw two riding. One in NJ and the other in Oregon or Idaho (wasn't sure which state I was in at the time but over that way).
We're taking Montanas, or Montanians, or whatever they are called. And the collision has to be accidental. Opponents of the law argued that people would starting hitting deer on purpose. Dumb argument seeing how much damage they can do.

Funny about NJ. I have seen two bears in NJ. The third shot I posted above is from Hunterdon County. The thing was foraging by the side of the road during a group ride I was leading. I and another guy were ahead of the rest of the group on a descent. I thought to myself "That's a big dog." Then my friend says "That's a bear!" Thing took off into the woods. The photo is a still from a short video by GF short when the rest of the group caught up.

The other was at Worthington State Forest along the Delaware in June of 2018. I was riding back to my campsite from the bathhouse when a young cub (born that year) came up the hill from the river and walked right across my path. Most unnerving because I thought mom must be close. But no sight of her. Wonder if mom had been poached or had otherwise died. I certainly kept my head on a swivel as I was cooking dinner at my site. I had pitched in one of the group sites because it had a food storage locker.

I have also seen two in Montana, two in Pennsylvania and one in Minnesota, all while on tour.
Old 07-13-22, 11:21 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by terrymorse
My buddy hit a grizzly in Glacier NP. He spent a week in the hospital with a collapsed lung. The bear was fine.
Wow! He got off easy. A few years ago a Forest Service cop hit a grizzly while mountain biking just outside the park. The bear mauled him to death. They estimated that he had between 1 and 3 seconds to react when he came around a bend in the trail on a descent. He had injuries consisted with an endo. The conclusion was that he came around the corner, hit the bear, flew off his bike, hit the ground and was attacked. His brother-in-law, who was riding behind him, came upon the scene, but there was nothing he could do.

I had a black run across Going to the Sun Road about 50' in front of me as I was coming down the west slope way back in 2000.
Old 07-13-22, 11:36 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by curbtender
Recently I've been menaced more by car doors, but I think of this video everytime I ride across the bridge and head into Sausalito.
https://youtu.be/F8HOpcPvPkQ
This is actually a deer, not an antelope.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-13-22, 12:10 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 2,625 Times in 1,237 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WppCEOg1Qs
Same groan. Guess you got to watch anywhere the deer and the antelope play...
Likes For curbtender:
Old 07-13-22, 12:21 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Better still to move those Deer Crossings to another spot...
Yes, I always wondered why they trained the deer to cross in such inconvenient spots.

I had two deer cross in front of my on last night's ride. 50 feet or less at 20 mph. Just as scary as the possibility of hitting one was, if I did, I'd get hit from behind by 5 more guys on bikes.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 07-13-22, 12:55 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by curbtender
Same groan. Guess you got to watch anywhere the deer and the antelope play...
The pronghorn, which is not a true antelope, is the second fastest land mammal on the planet. I have saw some haul ass while riding in WY. Over distance they could probably outrun a cheetah.
Old 07-13-22, 02:26 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3477 Post(s)
Liked 3,615 Times in 1,814 Posts
The pronghorn, which is not a true antelope, is the second fastest land mammal on the planet. I have saw some haul ass while riding in WY. Over distance they could probably outrun a cheetah.
But over an even longer distance, a human can run down a pronghorn.

Old 07-13-22, 02:31 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by terrymorse
But over an even longer distance, a human can run down a pronghorn.
Not this human.
Old 07-14-22, 11:42 AM
kap 7

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Hardrock XC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BillRS22
Another cyclist told me he was riding and a pickup truck coming the opposite way hit a deer and threw it into him. He was injured pretty seriously. It would be hard to avoid a situation like that. Bill
I've been in a similar situation where a deer narrowly missed me and a car coming opposite direction and if I didn't hit the deer I was wondering if the car was going to swerve and head on me. I live in an area with a lot of deer and one advice I can give is if you see one expect others to be around
Old 07-14-22, 12:04 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by BillRS22
Another cyclist told me he was riding and a pickup truck coming the opposite way hit a deer and threw it into him. He was injured pretty seriously. It would be hard to avoid a situation like that. Bill
You mean sort of like this:

Old 07-14-22, 12:17 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 948 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WppCEOg1Qs
The way that Buck launched, it looked like targeting.
How in the world was he not thrown out of the game and suspended?
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 07-15-22, 04:51 PM
timsch

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount Series 9C PDG, Specialized Enduro Pro (2002)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
especially horned ones....
Old 07-16-22, 08:23 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
How about the guy rounding a sharp curve yelling cow at a woman cyclist. She replied ***hole, and then she ran into the cow!!!!
Old 07-16-22, 07:11 PM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 75 Posts
Plenty of moose in Interior Alaska. It never has been a problem. I now live in Haines. There are a LOT of brown bears here and the sockeye salmon are returning, to be followed my cohos into October. I have a water bottle designed by a Canadian company that holds a can of bear spray and it all fits in a bottle cage. But I won’t bike near the river earning in the morning or late in the evening.
Likes For IcySwan1:
Old 07-17-22, 12:20 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I'm thinking that spot is near an animal crossing. I now take the deer signs seriously and slow down in my local hills for that reason.
Looks like n your town, the signs telling the deer where to cross are more intelligible, to them!