Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Best Place To Watch The TOC Stage 2 on The SF Side?

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-09, 10:07 PM
scattante

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have President's day off from work and plan to check out the TOC. Never been to a pro race before. I was curious if anyone had any ideas on were would be a good place to check out the race. I want to stay on the SF side of the bridge. I was thinking about heading down to Ocean Beach, but also thought the bridge might be a good place to catch the action. Any thoughts? I am also bringing my Nikon and want to take pictures.

Thanks,
Old 02-08-09, 10:20 PM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scattante
I have President's day off from work and plan to check out the TOC. Never been to a pro race before. I was curious if anyone had any ideas on were would be a good place to check out the race. I want to stay on the SF side of the bridge. I was thinking about heading down to Ocean Beach, but also thought the bridge might be a good place to catch the action. Any thoughts? I am also bringing my Nikon and want to take pictures.

Thanks,
we're thinking of catching the first KOM sprint at the top of tunitas creek road but we're looking at the logistics .

ed rader
Old 02-09-09, 08:37 AM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Detailed route: https://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com...log-stage2.pdf

Somewhere around the bridge would probably be one of the more scenic/iconic places, esp. for photo-taking. They will still be under Neutral Start then (the actual race doesn't begin until the turn onto Camino del Mar, from Lincoln).

I plan to be at the Tunitas KOM myself, though...I'm sure it's gonna be nuts. Planning on riding up (early a.m. start + warm clothes...depending on the weather I guess).
Old 02-09-09, 10:10 AM
uspspro
Tandem Mountain Climber

Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Litespeed Gravel, SuperSix Evo HM, Larry vs. Harry Bullitt (e-cargo)

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
We plan to watch on Tunitas. Where's the KOM? If it's up near the flatter part, then I'll be down further. I want to be where the steep part is.
Old 02-09-09, 10:14 AM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
From the route sheet, the KOM is *at* the top (right turn onto Skyline). But given that it is flatter there, speeds are going to be a lot higher, they will be big-ringing it and flying by then. As such, I am also thinking to head down to the steeper areas but may have to play it by ear on the day of. Early weather forecasts are calling for a possible strong storm to roll in "early next week"
Old 02-09-09, 10:19 AM
spingineer
Spinning like a gerbel

Bikes: Seven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 'nother
From the route sheet, the KOM is *at* the top (right turn onto Skyline). But given that it is flatter there, speeds are going to be a lot higher, they will be big-ringing it and flying by then.
That's because that's exactly what you do ...

But I agree, stake you position about 3 miles from the top, and probably at the 2nd hairpin once it gets into the foresty area.

My Cycling Blog
Old 02-09-09, 10:23 AM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I would hardly consider what *I* do to be "flying"....especially relative to Pro speeds...though I am usually in the big ring by then myself.

The location you describe should make for scenic photos, though it's kinda dark...but I guess most of Tunitas is anyway so there ya go...high ISO and fill-flash, here I come!
Old 02-09-09, 10:30 AM
spingineer
Spinning like a gerbel

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Who knows where I'll be on Stage 2 ... but if you are on twitter, I'll SMS to it as much as I can.

https://twitter.com/spingineer

My Cycling Blog
Old 02-09-09, 11:13 AM
tdubose

Bikes: 2006 Red Specialized Allez Elite upgraded to Ultegra, Classic 80's Bianchi converted to fixed gear for cruising around town and running errands

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what i've heard the KOM points are not at Tunitas and Skyline, but a bit further down Tunitas when it is steeper. The website for Willams Cycling has a really good video of the climb where they might mention it. I'll be somewhere on Tunitas. My girlfriend's mom is going to be in town so my girlfriend is determined to drive up and park at Tunitas in Skyline, which i think is going to be packed, even if you get there at 6am. I'll be riding my bike up King's just to make sure i don't miss the action. It sounds like its going to be crazy. Can't wait!
Old 02-09-09, 11:21 AM
1jacktripper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's not raining (that's like a refrain for me this winter), then I would also like to ride up Kings and then find a spot on Tunitas to watch this one. Planning on packing dry clothes to change into so to stave off the chills...and just in case I make it on TV! :-)
Old 02-09-09, 11:24 AM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hmm. I had another look at the route sheet, here's the direct text (slightly trimmed...the number after the text is the "point to point distance" from the chart):

Right to continue on Tunitas Creek Rd. 2.0

California Travel and Tourism KOM
Tunitas Creek Rd - Cat. 2 at 1562’/476m 7.3

Right onto Skyline Blvd. from Tunitas Creek Rd. 0.1

From this I'm inclined to agree that it is not right at the intersection as I stated before, but 0.1 mile back from there...but still firmly in the flat territory. The steeper stuff is several miles back down the hill. I'll have a look at the Williams Cycling site though...maybe they have a better handle on it than the route sheet does.

If the weather is going to be decent, I think it will be nuts up there...it's a holiday, it's fairly easily accessible from the center of the cycling universe, etc. Actually even if the weather sucks I bet there will be a bunch of people up there.
Old 02-09-09, 11:32 AM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I looked at the Williams Cycling site at the profiles, and it's hard to tell from there where the exact point is... *but* something to note is that there is still a fair amount of climbing *after* turning right onto Skyline...so looking at the profile graphs may be a bit misleading. I'm still watching the video...
Old 02-09-09, 08:48 PM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Detailed route: https://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com...log-stage2.pdf

Somewhere around the bridge would probably be one of the more scenic/iconic places, esp. for photo-taking.

were going to be down on highway 1. there are sections there where you can see the riders coming for a mile and then they'll pass us and we'll head back to SC for the finish.

ed rader
Old 02-09-09, 09:16 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Aw, bummer Ed...I was hoping to meet you at the top of Tunitas and talk (photo) shop. Catch you at the top of Sierra Rd. on Tuesday?

I'm sure Hwy 1 will be great though...my daughter and I were out at Hurricane Point for Stage 4 last year and it was mildly rainy and very windy...but made for some excellent photos as there was a double rainbow with us much of the time
Old 02-09-09, 09:23 PM
spingineer
Spinning like a gerbel

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I'm sure Hwy 1 will be great though...my daughter and I were out at Hurricane Point for Stage 4 last year and it was mildly rainy and very windy...but made for some excellent photos as there was a double rainbow with us much of the time
Ya got a link for any pics from that? I enjoy viewing everyone's far superior tour pics than mine ...

My Cycling Blog
Old 02-09-09, 09:43 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spingineer
Ya got a link for any pics from that?
I haven't posted any of those...got 'em floating around here somewhere, I'll see if I can scare them up.
Old 02-09-09, 10:07 PM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aw, bummer Ed...I was hoping to meet you at the top of Tunitas and talk (photo) shop. Catch you at the top of Sierra Rd. on Tuesday?

i'd like to go up to skyline but i'm not sure about the road closure and parking and all that. my buddy surfs alot in SC so he knows the highway 1 area very well.

anyhow...i'll definitely be up on sierra road. there will be four of us i think. what will you be wearing and please don't say elk antlers !

ed rader
Old 02-09-09, 10:09 PM
LesMcLuffAlot
Pedal faster not harder.

Bikes: Ummmm...Cannondale F4000..Ummmmm...Yeti ARC-X Cyclocross..Ummmm...Rocky Mountain Vertex TO with a BionX PL350 Electric Conversion...Ummmmm..Rocky Mountain Cardiac..Ummmm..thats it for now I think. I'd have to go look in the basement to be sure.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This just in........
Tour of California: leave paint at home

By Mark Zalewski, North American Editor
Organisers of the Tour of California, the largest cycling event in North America, are asking the thousands of fans that line the roads each year to not paint on the roads as encouragement for their favourite riders. The plea comes after the past three years where residents who live along the roads have complained to the point where the race will not be issued permits in the future if it happens this year.
"Our course director annually has to go to almost 80 government entities each year for permissions, and we have been lucky enough to have some great believers out these among the counties and cities," said Chuck Hodge, technical director.
"The one issue that continues to come up... is fans painting on the road. Although a great tradition in some [parts] of the world it has become a huge issue at our event. We have annually fielded calls from public works departments and it has come to the point on at least two occasions that we have been told we would not be issued a permit the next year unless we address the issue."
Hodge said that alternative methods, such as chalk, would be preferable as long as they are not permanent
Old 02-09-09, 10:11 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'll be wearing a 40D + 70-200 2.8, possibly a 24-105 but most likely the white bazooka
Old 02-11-09, 03:35 AM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Do you guys think it'd be possible to watch somewhere near the bridge and then hop in the car and still make it to Tunitas KOM area (via 280 to skyline or woodside) in time? Or even Pacifica and then jam up sharp park to 280? The log sheets are allowing about 1hr40min from bridge to the KOM and about 1hr10min from pacifica to there if they are traveling at the fastest predicted speeds.
Old 02-11-09, 08:11 AM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd be surprised if that panned out. For one you are probably not going to be able to just park right at the bridge and "hop in the car" after the riders pass. There will be traffic to contend with. And it's not like you're going to be able to just drive right up to Tunitas...I am still not sure of the actual closures but I would guess that access to Tunitas via 35 or Kings Mountain Road will be closed for some as-yet-undetermined time before the riders come through, and Tunitas itself is likely to be closed to all traffic for several hours before. Not to mention the crowd that will be assembling up there.

erader's idea is the best I've heard so far for trying to see the riders twice. If you do make it down to Santa Cruz, the finish will probably be fun...but if you're not there several hours before, you might have a hard time getting a spot up close to the finish line (if that's important to you). A couple of years ago, I got down to the San Jose finish four hours ahead and was able to get a spot 10' from the line, but with 2 hours to go people were already fanning out and getting a little pushy.

Weather forecast looks decent, for February anyway...mostly cloudy & chance of rain, highs in the mid-50s...if it turns significantly better or worse that could have a big effect on crowds.
Old 02-11-09, 01:35 PM
FogVilleLad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for 'nother's bridge recommendation for photographers. (I used to write and photograph for a magazine dedicated to inline skating.) There is no bad shot which includes the bridge. The design of this suspension bridge means that an arc is built into it. If you can get a position near the SF end, you'll have your choice of close and distant shots. (I'll be near the SF end, cheering the Jelly Belly team. Seems only fair since I'll be wearing Bernard van Ulden's old cap and gloves.)

The lower portion of bending/twisting downhills also works well. Please check the detailed map link in 'nother's first post.

Concentrating on your subject and pressing the button whenever you feel something can absorb your entire attention. If you take a break from being a photographer, please cheer the riders. They can hear it.

Last edited by FogVilleLad; 02-11-09 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-11-09, 07:35 PM
scattante

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the great info. Too bad we all can be everywhere at once. I am thinking the bridge will be a good place. I am curious how early I would need to get there to get a good spot? However, Ocean beach is easier to get to from my house, and since I am taking my nikon, I am not sure I want to ride my bike. My luck I would wreck and destroy the camera and my bike. Talk about an expensive fall! I guess it will also depend on the weather.

It sounds like we have some good photographers out there. Any pointers on taking good action shots?
Old 02-11-09, 08:55 PM
FogVilleLad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*If* the route passes by the Cliff House, setting up c.30yds farther down should put you in position to get good shots. The parade section will have ended and there should be a couple of jackrabbits ahead of the peloton.

If you can manage to work your way up the East side of the road, the Marin foothills will be in the background.

PS, Nikon manual is the field photographer's top choice - for film.