Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Solvang Roll-Call

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-10, 12:43 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
Solvang Roll-Call

Who's going to Solvang this Saturday? 0% change of rain, sunny, temps in the mid-60's.
I'm afraid I have no sleeping space nor room in the truck, but I'm always up for meeting the faces behind the virtual personas herein.

I'm driving up in this dilapidated Ford Ranger (the one behind the motorcycle & dog):

And I'll be sporting this bike & fredlicious colors:

If you see me, please say hello (or Cinzano me, as the situation warrants.)

I'll give SCOR an honest crack at my duckies, but if they're full-up, I'll be banditting this bad-boy and stopping at Circle-K for water & Clif bars. (I wouldn't dream of mooching without paying.)

Original goal was 5:45, but after the last two centuries this year, I'm thinking 5-flat might be possible if the wind don't come up too fierce.

Last edited by calamarichris; 03-09-10 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-09-10, 02:03 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A lot of the locals meet and hammer out the route. I'll be there out, group goal is 23-25mph, no stops.
Old 03-09-10, 02:15 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Wow, awesome. I sure would like to help with your paceline and I promise I'm not squirrely.
I finished Palm Springs in under 5 last month and did a solo century in January on a howling windy day in 5:18.
Even if you aren't looking to populate your paceline, I'd like to shake hands and say howdy.
Old 03-09-10, 03:21 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
you got a new scooter eh?

Old 03-09-10, 03:27 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

If you're referring to the tan motorcycle, that was my Pa's surprise retirement present a few years ago.

You coming to Solvang on Saturday?
Old 03-09-10, 03:57 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Coming to Solvang, but not until March 27th for the double. See you there!

Rick / OCRR
Old 03-09-10, 05:47 PM
jamesvb

Bikes: Felt B2 Pro, Ibix Mojo, Cannondale Six13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be there with a group of 10 riders. I'm a guest so I have no idea what the ride plan will be.
Old 03-09-10, 10:35 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
I'll be there. Probably for the 20th time or so; at this stage, memory is a slippery thing.

With food and photo stops and sticking with friends, I'm figuring a 7:00 a.m. start should see me at the finish line by 3 p.m or so.
Old 03-11-10, 01:18 PM
jamesvb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WTF!!!! Possible showers Saturday A.M.
Old 03-11-10, 01:32 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When it's 30% like that here, it rarely ends up raining, and if it does, it's jus a short sprinkle. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 03-11-10, 01:50 PM
jamesvb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll add another layer... Just in case.

Has this been the coldest and wettest California Winter ever?
Old 03-11-10, 01:54 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Originally Posted by jamesvb
Yes it is. But then so was the last El Nino year, and the one before that...
If it weren't for our El Ninos every seven or so years, we'd basically be an extension of Saharizona.
Old 03-11-10, 01:56 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I remember 1997/1998 was really cold and wet, because that's the year I started at UCSB, and everyone was b!tching and moaning about how it was supposed to be really nice here but all it did was rain all the time
Old 03-11-10, 02:05 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

I remember '98 was the year of gargantuan waves. I got chomped by The Beast many times and came pretty closing to drowning a few times. It was great hypoxic training until I broke four bones in my left hand.
I vaguely remember seeing a newspaper headline picture of some guy KAYAKING down State Street in SB that year.
Old 03-11-10, 03:48 PM
Lanceoldstrong
Family, Health, Cycling

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works, Univega Gran Turismo

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
A lot of the locals meet and hammer out the route. I'll be there out, group goal is 23-25mph, no stops.
Please pass safely. A lot of slower riders and first ever century types will be out there too.

I hold my own (22 Centuries and a double thrown in for variety) and I will be there Saturday , but just sayin.
Old 03-11-10, 04:00 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lanceoldstrong
Please pass safely. A lot of slower riders and first ever century types will be out there too.

I hold my own (22 Centuries and a double thrown in for variety) and I will be there Saturday , but just sayin.
Trust me, nobody wants to get hurt. We will probably be ahead of most everyone anyway.
Old 03-11-10, 04:10 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll add another layer... Just in case.

Not even close.

This picture shows a bad winter. It's the old Swami's temple in Encinitas. The camera isn't tilted.

Last edited by GP; 03-11-10 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-11-10, 04:27 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

"I have spoken of the rich years when the rainfall was plentiful. But there were dry years too, and they put a terror on the valley. The water came in a thirty-year cycle. There would be five or six wet and wonderful years when there might be nineteen to twenty-five inches of rain, and the land would shout with grass. Then would come six or seven pretty good years of twelve to sixteen inches of rain. And then the dry years would come, and sometimes there would be only seven or eight inches of rain. The land dried up and the grasses headed out miserably a few inches high and great bare scabby places appeared in the valley. The live oaks got a crusty look and the sage-brush was gray. The land cracked and the springs dried up and the cattle listlessly nibbled dry twigs. Then the farmers and the ranchers would be filled with disgust for the Salinas Valley. The cows would grow thin and sometimes starve to death. People would have to haul water in barrels to their farms just for drinking. Some families would sell out for nearly nothing and move away. And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way." -J. Steinbeck, East of Eden
Old 03-11-10, 04:40 PM
Lanceoldstrong
Family, Health, Cycling

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works, Univega Gran Turismo

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
"I have spoken of the rich years when the rainfall was plentiful. But there were dry years too, and they put a terror on the valley. The water came in a thirty-year cycle. There would be five or six wet and wonderful years when there might be nineteen to twenty-five inches of rain, and the land would shout with grass. Then would come six or seven pretty good years of twelve to sixteen inches of rain. And then the dry years would come, and sometimes there would be only seven or eight inches of rain. The land dried up and the grasses headed out miserably a few inches high and great bare scabby places appeared in the valley. The live oaks got a crusty look and the sage-brush was gray. The land cracked and the springs dried up and the cattle listlessly nibbled dry twigs. Then the farmers and the ranchers would be filled with disgust for the Salinas Valley. The cows would grow thin and sometimes starve to death. People would have to haul water in barrels to their farms just for drinking. Some families would sell out for nearly nothing and move away. And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way." -J. Steinbeck, East of Eden
Kudos. I love that passage. I quote it a lot to all my non native California friends who don't understand the rhythms of wet and dry here. (Here for me is Norcal)
Old 03-11-10, 04:49 PM
bigd777

Bikes: Trek 6.9 Madone

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 20 Posts
I'll be there +1
Old 03-11-10, 05:52 PM
jamesvb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GP
Not even close.

This picture shows a bad winter. It's the old Swami's temple in Encinitas. The camera isn't tilted.

It was a rhetorical question but thanks for all of the info.

They're are some smart people on this forum. I always learn something.
Old 03-11-10, 07:12 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They're are some smart people on this forum.
Not me. I found the book at a thrift store for $1 and had someone scan the picture.
Old 03-12-10, 06:15 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So it looks like it may rain tonight but shouldn't be raining tomorrow, although it looks like it will be very windy, especially afternoon.
Old 03-12-10, 07:37 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,975 Times in 565 Posts
H-o-l-y crap!

Glad I opted to do a self-designed century in the Santa Monicas instead.

Have fun everyone, and take some pix for the rest of us slobs.

Old 03-13-10, 12:12 PM
bretgross

Bikes: Zinn road bike, Rockhopper MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Lenny, how come you always want what we ain't got?" ~ Of Mice and Men

I'll always be grateful to Mr. O'Brian (10th grade English) for introducing me to JS.

Originally Posted by calamarichris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.