Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Seat Upgrade Trek DS 2

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Seat Upgrade Trek DS 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-19, 06:04 AM
trailtec

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Seat Upgrade Trek DS 2

Just ordered a Trek DS 2 yesterday and as soon as I get it in I know my first upgrade will be a more comfortable seat, does anyone have any suggestions as to the best seat I could add to this bike.
Old 11-28-19, 10:30 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Nothing on a bike is more personal than the saddle. What works for one might not work for another. Many of us have tried different saddles to find the one we like.
Old 11-28-19, 10:38 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Nothing on a bike is more personal than the saddle. What works for one might not work for another. Many of us have tried different saddles to find the one we like.
Agreed. Also, you're already thinking about changing out the seat and you haven't even ridden it yet? Take some time with any seat when you first get one before making any changes. Saddles can take some time to grow on you. Especially if you haven't ridding in a long time.
Old 11-28-19, 04:01 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 435 Posts
Good info above. You could search and probably find 100 threads on saddles-with 100 different answers! Some that come up frequently as decent saddles are: Brooks (various models), Selle Anatomica, Terry (Fly and Liberator models), and LOTS of others. If the stock saddle doesn't do it for you, see if your LBS has some saddles you can have on a trial basis. If you must buy online, look at the return policy-some have a 30 day return policy, but read all the fine print, so that you don't get stuck with a saddle that sounds good, but doesn't work out.
Old 11-28-19, 06:12 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
As above. You might be surprised and really like the saddle it comes with. My current bike was purchased not that long ago and I had planned to switch the stock saddle to a Selle Italia, because I have had good luck with them before. But it turns out I love this Fizik. Super comfy for me. So, I saved myself $200 and bought a new cool jersey.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 11-29-19, 09:52 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
I would agree that you should try the stock saddle before doing anything but if you were set on doing something different, Selle is having a sale now on the Anatomica, which is pretty popular.
Old 11-30-19, 04:33 PM
Lab4Us

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3 in Volt

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
I bought a DS3 back in late August. Granted, hadn’t ridden in 45 years, but after picking up my bike and riding around the neighborhood about 15 minutes I knew I wasn’t keeping that seat. Felt like riding on a 2X4. I then erred too far the other direction with a “touring” seat and after installing it and riding a challenging road with lots of climb, had a really sore tailbone for about a week.

Then I tried

Planet Bike Men's A.R.S. Anatomic Relief Bicycle Saddle

bought at Amazon for $29. Have about 275 miles on it and no intention of ever changing it. In fact, I’m very much looking forward to my 10-20 mile in the morning to kick off my November mileage tally!
Old 11-30-19, 06:21 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by trailtec
Just ordered a Trek DS 2 yesterday and as soon as I get it in I know my first upgrade will be a more comfortable seat, does anyone have any suggestions as to the best seat I could add to this bike.
See the responses in this thread to date: no one here can tell you which saddle will work for you. It's trial and error, until you find not so much which specific saddle works, but rather which type/design works for you.

Me, for example? Old (68), arthritic, and with lots of 'issues', but I can't stand anything other than what some on here would call 'ass hatchets': narrow, lightly-padded 'racing' saddles. My two requirements: a 'flat' (not dished) profile, and a cut-out. Anything else -- banana profile, no cut-out, medium to heavy 'padding' -- drives me nuts.

Current fave? Specialized Avatar (non-gel). Have them on my bikes, and a couple spares in boxes.
Old 12-01-19, 05:28 AM
trailtec

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lab4Us
I bought a DS3 back in late August. Granted, hadn’t ridden in 45 years, but after picking up my bike and riding around the neighborhood about 15 minutes I knew I wasn’t keeping that seat. Felt like riding on a 2X4. I then erred too far the other direction with a “touring” seat and after installing it and riding a challenging road with lots of climb, had a really sore tailbone for about a week.

Then I tried

Planet Bike Men's A.R.S. Anatomic Relief Bicycle Saddle

bought at Amazon for $29. Have about 275 miles on it and no intention of ever changing it. In fact, I’m very much looking forward to my 10-20 mile in the morning to kick off my November mileage tally!

Thanks so much for the info, I have already decided with a short test ride that I didn't like the current DS 2 saddle, I am definitely gonna order the A.R.S. the price is very reasonable and it looks like a great saddle with many great reviews.

Thanks Again, Trailtec