Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Garmin or Strava?

Old 01-17-20, 09:19 PM
bigd777

Bikes: Trek 6.9 Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 20 Posts
Garmin or Strava?

I’m just getting back into riding after a long time off So I was thinking about getting a Garmin 830. But I see lots of people using Strava so my question is Strava as good as a garmin
Old 01-17-20, 09:43 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Also is Google as good as an Iphone?
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 01-17-20, 10:05 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by bigd777
is Strava as good as a garmin
bigd -- Seriously...you are sort of asking about a comparison between apples and...Sharpie markers. Think of it this way. A Garmin device is a GPS receiver that will tell you where you have been, and where you are. It'll measure speed and distance for you. And, depending on the specific device...may give you all sorts of other data for analysis. Things like average speed, RPM, Watts, calories, etc. Now...Strava, as a web service, has been described as like a "Facebook for athletes." You can have "friends" and "follow" other athletes just like on Facebook. On the actual Facebook, you can upload pictures from cameras, other devices, "check-in status," etc. So, in that same vein, you can use the Garmin device to upload a workout you recorded to Strava. OR...you can use your smartphone and the Strava app. Your smartphone has a GPS receiver. One thing to keep in mind...Strava has a 'free' version, and an upgraded version ("Summit") that requires a monthly fee. But...you have access to more of their services.

Hope that helps.

Dan
Old 01-17-20, 10:08 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
I use both. Garmin for a basic logging tool. I see some features there but not enough to drive me away from the social fun of Strava.

Strava as a logging tool but also as a way to keep in touch with friends and fellow local cyclists.
Likes For TheDudeIsHere:
Old 01-17-20, 11:55 PM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Strava +1

- james
www.buckyrides.com
Old 01-17-20, 11:57 PM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
bigd -- Seriously...you are sort of asking about a comparison between apples and...Sharpie markers. Think of it this way. A Garmin device is a GPS receiver that will tell you where you have been, and where you are. It'll measure speed and distance for you. And, depending on the specific device...may give you all sorts of other data for analysis. Things like average speed, RPM, Watts, calories, etc. Now...Strava, as a web service, has been described as like a "Facebook for athletes." You can have "friends" and "follow" other athletes just like on Facebook. On the actual Facebook, you can upload pictures from cameras, other devices, "check-in status," etc. So, in that same vein, you can use the Garmin device to upload a workout you recorded to Strava. OR...you can use your smartphone and the Strava app. Your smartphone has a GPS receiver. One thing to keep in mind...Strava has a 'free' version, and an upgraded version ("Summit") that requires a monthly fee. But...you have access to more of their services.

Hope that helps.

Dan

I think he means garmin Online, the fitness tracking route thing
Old 01-18-20, 12:11 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
I use my Garmin 810 to upload ride data to Strava. My phone battery isn't too trustworthy on long rides, so I save it's battery, and use the Garmin for ride info. I'm a fairly recent Strava convert, just over a year, and I still use Garmin Connect to keep track of lifetime mileage on several bikes. As far as I can tell, Strava only allows mileage data from the start date, and doesn't allow you to back load previous data.
Old 01-18-20, 12:22 AM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
Get a Garmin it does not need your phone until the ride is done. Strava will use your battery the whole ride. I like to save my phone for emergency use and would not like to have a depleated battery when I need it.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 01-18-20, 01:28 AM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
For what you need they are a tandem. The Garmin is a computer/recorder and with its paired sensors it records and logs all the info. THEN the info is uploaded by you to Garmin Connect/Strava. You then see all that you are seeking on Strava.
Old 01-18-20, 07:18 AM
SayWatt

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I would suggest looking at garmins watches(unless you need the bigger screen for navigation). I have a fenIx 5 and am very pleased with it. As the previous poster said the garmin device will upload to garmin connect and strava after you complete a ride. They actually really work good together. Basically Garmin is the hamburger and strava is the fries.
Old 01-18-20, 08:42 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
Get a Garmin it does not need your phone until the ride is done. Strava will use your battery the whole ride. I like to save my phone for emergency use and would not like to have a depleated battery when I need it.

I sometimes rely on a separate GPS device too. But, the GPS in your phone is a receive-only function and is pretty much always operating (for emergency services). Receive-only apps don't use that much power IF the screen is off. When the workout is completed that is when the recorded GPS data is uploaded to your account via cell or wifi/internet (I think if you use the Summit version of Strava, with the live monitoring, it uploads as the workout is happening.) Turning off all other apps while you're in a workout using Strava will help lessen battery drain. If you have any wifi-dependant apps open during a ride or run...and you're not in range, or logged into a wifi network...those apps will deplete more energy searching for a wifi network. So in other words...Strava (or and GPS app) doesn't require a lot of battery power until you're back home and complete your workout (or unless you leave the screen on constantly). With only the Strava app running, and the screen off...I have been on rides of six hours and still have plenty of battery life.

Dan
Old 01-18-20, 09:01 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I think I lost 1 in 4 rides and runs when I was using Strava for recording and it often had me doing 125 mph jumping around town. Maybe it was Strava or just my phone's GPS but I never had that problem using the Polar Beat app on the same phone. I think Strava gave up and removed external sensors to combat the crashing and stuck with the core business of just collecting data from other ride recording things instead. I haven't used Strava in 3 years during a ride so maybe they figured it out. I use an Elemnt device for rides and no issues and use Polar Beat for recording everything else.

Last edited by u235; 01-18-20 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-18-20, 10:24 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by .mockingbird.
A Garmin does not need your phone when the ride is done.

There’s a reason they have USB ports...
My Garmin 820 is able to connect to WiFi. When my ride is finished, it connects to my home wifi and automatically sends the ride data to Garmin connect. My Garmin connect account then sends the date to Strava. A Garmin 830 would have the same functionality

Last edited by alcjphil; 01-18-20 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-18-20, 10:29 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
I have a Garmin, I like the watch far better than carrying a phone with me on rides. There's really something nice about being away 4-10 hours with no way to reach or be reached.

The Garmin app is OK for simple tracking of distances, steps, or sleep. For riding though, I prefer the format of Strava. I keep it private, have no friends, and don't follow anyone. Used this way, it's not a ton different than the Garmin app but it works a little better and has a nicer interface.

So to answer your question, get a Garmin and link it to Strava. Private if you like.
Old 01-18-20, 11:40 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Please pay attention.

I replied to they guy that posted "Get a Garmin it does not need your phone until the ride is done." A Garmin does not need your phone when the ride is done.

My last two Garmins have been able to connect to wifi and connect to my phone via bluetooth. Neither of them need my phone because the data can be uploaded via USB.

Key word throughout: "need."
And all I did was provide another reason why a Garmin 830 does not need to connect to a phone. I was not contradicting you in any way
Old 01-18-20, 09:51 PM
Bmach

A Garmin does not need your phone when the ride is done.

There’s a reason they have USB ports...
yes, but all I do is hit save when I finish my ride. By the time I put the bike in the house the ride is saved and already uploaded. No need to plug into usb after the ride, much easier. And I don’t need something to plug the usb cable into, what you use.

Last edited by Bmach; 01-18-20 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-18-20, 09:54 PM
Bmach

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I sometimes rely on a separate GPS device too. But, the GPS in your phone is a receive-only function and is pretty much always operating (for emergency services). Receive-only apps don't use that much power IF the screen is off. When the workout is completed that is when the recorded GPS data is uploaded to your account via cell or wifi/internet (I think if you use the Summit version of Strava, with the live monitoring, it uploads as the workout is happening.) Turning off all other apps while you're in a workout using Strava will help lessen battery drain. If you have any wifi-dependant apps open during a ride or run...and you're not in range, or logged into a wifi network...those apps will deplete more energy searching for a wifi network. So in other words...Strava (or and GPS app) doesn't require a lot of battery power until you're back home and complete your workout (or unless you leave the screen on constantly). With only the Strava app running, and the screen off...I have been on rides of six hours and still have plenty of battery life.

Dan
and again much easier to use a Garmin. No worry about battery and having to shut down apps then turn back on. You also don’t have to take the phone out of battery saving mode for Strava to work.