Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you carry a saddlebag....?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-22-20, 04:36 PM
JRonaTrek

Bikes: 2019 TREK Emonda SL5 and Madone SLR 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 8 Posts

I've been off the forums for a while, mostly because I had forgotten my password. With that being said, I don't know if this topic is somewhere, but i'd like to ask if you carry a saddlebag, or where do you carry your repair kit? Do you carry a repair kit?

I haven't carried a bag in a while, i've made attempts, purchase one and then end up giving it away to one of my buddies or something.

I was at the pet store and there was a bag dispenser (for when your dog poops) and it seemed the perfect size to fit some patches, my id, some bills, levers, tanks and a valve. I use a piece of velcro and wrap a folded tube under my seat, the bag dispenser in a jersey pocket. I'll post pics later.

But I am curious if anyone else has "rigged" a repair kit and maybe give me (us) some ideas...

Thanks in advance.

-El J.R.
Old 05-22-20, 04:51 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have this one on my road bike: https://www.castelli-cycling.com/us/...890010420P-010

Fits everything I need: tube, lever, patch kit, CO2 cartridge and chuck; minitool. Fits nice and snugly up against the saddle rails and does not have a velcro strap on the seat post.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-22-20, 05:04 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I've got a Silca Premio roll. Like caloso's, it doesn't have a strap around the seat post but it still holds very securely, both of which are very appreciated.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-22-20, 05:16 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
Used to. Got tired of moving it from one bike to another. Got a small drawstring bag which holds essentials and fits in middle jersey pocket.
Likes For datlas:
Old 05-22-20, 05:17 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
I have an Evoc saddle bag. Carries everything I need.
Old 05-22-20, 05:27 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
A small topeak case, clip only (no velcro or straps). With tubeless tires I don't carry a tube or patch kit anymore; the sealant is in the tires. Two CO2 carts, a small Lezyne inflator head. A small cable luggage lock - just to prevent a grab and run should I need to turn my back to the bike for a moment. A 4mm hex key, a 3mm hex key. A couple of disc brake stoppers (in case the bike needs to ride home in a car sans either wheel). Some tire plugs, a couple of spare valve cores, valve core key, and a very small bottle opener. Being clip-in the bag is very easy to move between bikes, or take off to get something out. With the Canyon I will also need to carry a 5mm hex key.

Oh, and for the weight conscious among you:

Oh, I also replaced the standard zipper pull with a piece of string. It would tap against the bag... continuously... driving me mad.

Last edited by sfrider; 05-22-20 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-22-20, 05:29 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I tried carrying a saddlebag for a while, then decided it made much more sense to attach it to the bike.
Old 05-22-20, 05:35 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
On my commuter bike, I carry a Topeak trunk bag which holds everything including my lunch and on my road bike, I just ordered a Topeak saddlebag which will hold my car keys, tool kit, spare tube, CO2 cartridge and dispenser, patch kit and disposable gloves.
Likes For Pugs2xLove:
Old 05-22-20, 06:03 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
A small topeak case, clip only (no velcro or straps). With tubeless tires I don't carry a tube or patch kit anymore; the sealant is in the tires. Two CO2 carts, a small Lezyne inflator head. A small cable luggage lock - just to prevent a grab and run should I need to turn my back to the bike for a moment. A 4mm hex key, a 3mm hex key. A couple of disc brake stoppers (in case the bike needs to ride home in a car sans either wheel). Some tire plugs, a couple of spare valve cores, valve core key, and a very small bottle opener. Being clip-in the bag is very easy to move between bikes, or take off to get something out. With the Canyon I will also need to carry a 5mm hex key.

Oh, and for the weight conscious among you:

Oh, I also replaced the standard zipper pull with a piece of string. It would tap against the bag... continuously... driving me mad.
I have / had that one too!
Old 05-22-20, 06:05 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts

Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-22-20, 06:16 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
Take a bandana or piece of canvas, lay your tools side by side in the center. Fold the top and bottom over the tools and then roll from one end. Secure under your seat with an old toe strap or piece of Velcro.

it will weigh just a couple of ounces and you will have a place to lay your tools when working on your bike.
Old 05-22-20, 07:00 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Yes. Ortlieb mini. I love it. It clips on and off my saddle but is stable when riding.
Old 05-22-20, 08:32 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
I have various under seat bags , one on each bike except for one handlebar bag. I carry tire levers and a patch kit , a spare tube , and a few band aids. I started carrying band aids as I got older because my skin is thin and I bleed with even a small scratch. My phone and wallet go in my jersey pocket with my breakfast bar.
Old 05-22-20, 08:48 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Each bike has a pump beside the downtube bottle cage and a saddlebag with multitool, patches and tube. Fill the water bottles, put on the garmin if needed, and go.
Old 05-22-20, 09:05 PM
Edward1066

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport/X-tracycle conversion, Surly Steamroller, 1995 Specialized Allez Sport, Early 90's VanTuyl TT bike, Flying Pigeon PA-06

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 38 Posts
I have a Banjo Brothers Canvas one.+/-'s. Pluses, it's huge, can easily carry "one more thing" always, water resistant, looks great(If you're into the aesthetic). Minuses, it's large enough that you need at least 18" clearance from top of seat to top of back tire, you'll always know it there if you stand up to sprint, cause it'll follow your movements with a millisecond of lag. That being said, I wouldn't leave home without it...
Likes For Edward1066:
Old 05-22-20, 09:08 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
I carried one for a while, but then I decided to just use the down tube storage in my Trek Domane. It only fits one tube, but in 1,200 miles of riding, I have yet to have a flat, so it works pretty well. The storage holds one tube, a CO2 canister, a couple of tire levers, a CO2 adapter, and a multi tool.
I realized I don’t like carrying a saddle bag. If I really wanted to carry a second tube, I think I’d put it in my jersey.
Old 05-23-20, 01:05 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Topeak medium aero wedge: 2x tubes, levers, mini tool, pliers, small pouch with extra allens, screw driver and foreceps, small container of wire caps, links and tube adapters, i.d. x2, credit card and boot bills.

Excellent use of space
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 05-23-20, 03:57 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Absolutely not!!

i carry my tube, inflater, and cartridge in a zip lock neatly wrapped tight with rubber bands and I hold it in my right pocket to balance out my phone in my left. (Center pocket is for lens safe rag of which I keep one in each Jersey and wash together)
Old 05-23-20, 04:24 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by JRonaTrek
I've been off the forums for a while, mostly because I had forgotten my password. With that being said, I don't know if this topic is somewhere, but i'd like to ask if you carry a saddlebag, or where do you carry your repair kit? Do you carry a repair kit?

I haven't carried a bag in a while, i've made attempts, purchase one and then end up giving it away to one of my buddies or something.

I was at the pet store and there was a bag dispenser (for when your dog poops) and it seemed the perfect size to fit some patches, my id, some bills, levers, tanks and a valve. I use a piece of velcro and wrap a folded tube under my seat, the bag dispenser in a jersey pocket. I'll post pics later.

But I am curious if anyone else has "rigged" a repair kit and maybe give me (us) some ideas...

Thanks in advance.

-El J.R.
I find your post interesting as it was exactly my situation, I forgot the password and the email used was my university email when I was training and they deactivated it when I finished school. However since I started a PhD they reactivated my mail box and could reset my password after 4 years!

I have stopped using a saddle bag when I started racing and after recommendation of my bike mechanics who was also racing.

he said the extra weight in the seatpost is bad for sprints as it add weight lever. So I just put 1 tube in my rear pocket with my Levine small pump, I put patches and Allen key tool in my right pocket, iPhone in my left jersey pocket.

I bring cliff bars only when I go for over 60 miles rides
Old 05-23-20, 04:27 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
speedsleev, best ever. Only thing I put in it is for tire fix/repairs and some emergency cash.
Old 05-23-20, 04:33 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I don't like to carry flat repair kit or tools in my jersey. Stuff I actually use while riding goes in the jersey pockets: snacks, asthma inhaler, phone, bandanna, etc. Tools go on the bike.

Lezyne Road Caddy. Very small and discreet. By far the best value in a minimalist saddle bag. It's what I use on my carbon fiber bikes. Everything I need, no extras: tube, lever, patch kit, CO2 kit, multi-tool. I had to shop carefully to choose those bits to fit properly: Conti Race 28 Light tube (only latex would be thinner), CO2 valve, etc., all had to be smaller than usual. But everything works. I've fixed one flat of my own, and another for a friend, using my kit. Everything works. And I clip a mini-pump onto the frame water bottle cage (Topeak Race Rocket HP).

And I use a Serfas Speed Bag, small, on my old steel road bike. It's bigger than I need but not too big or heavy. Typical small wedge bag, but better made and organized than most. Nifty little pockets, key clip, etc. That bike is already fairly heavy so the bag doesn't add much weight.

Lezyne Road Caddy under my saddle. Flat, secure, weighs little. Photo taken the moment I pulled over to fix a flat -- so far the one and only flat on that bike in a few thousand miles. I hit a chunk of cinder block and got a snakebite flat.
Old 05-23-20, 04:56 AM
bigd777

Bikes: Trek 6.9 Madone

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 20 Posts
No .I carry everything in my jersey
Old 05-23-20, 05:03 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
I carry everything except the kitchen sink because I ride alone in rural areas with no cell service.

Two tubes
Patch kit
Duct tape on a section of pencil
Zip ties
Three 16g Co2 cartridges
Inflation head
Tire levers x 2
Multi tool w chain breaker
Quick link
3,4,5 & 6 regular allens
Rubber gloves
Hand sanitizer
20 dollar bill
Two derailleur pulley wheels & bolts (out of spite for having lost one earlier this year on a ride)
Bead jack strapped on the outside

I don't know what it weighs and don't care because it isn't the difference between what I am now and what I was 30+ years ago.

Likes For nomadmax:
Old 05-23-20, 05:54 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Just got a Deuter saddle bag, carry pump, tire levers and tube. It also has a pouch for a second bottle of water, and some energy bars fit inside, too. Once I get a bike computer, my phone would also go in there. I do not carry a multi-tool, never had a reason to. I will only take this on longer rides, shorter ones where I do not stray all too far from home I would leave it at home.
Old 05-23-20, 06:10 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I stopped carrying a saddle bag for a long time because the velcro that went around the seatpost would invariably catch my shorts and mess them up. But it was always a pain on long summer rides where I'd have to carry an additional bottle and lots of food. But then I saw a saddlebag that only attaches to the seat so I got that and have been using it since. Frees up pockets better, especially since I now always carry my phone in my center pocket.
Likes For rubiksoval:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.