Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

First Beater Ride, $50 Prelude, Beater Conditions!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-10, 09:52 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Oh boy, today I took my first beater ride on my $50 beater 86 Prelude.. The conditions was 14 degrees, with snow and salt on the street. I rode 5 sweet, cold, and exhilirating miles.

There was a lot of salt and leftover snow on the street. No way I would ride any of my other bikes in this stuff. The Prelude was purchased to take on beater-work... and it did in stride. The Prelude rode smoothly. I got dingy wheels on, but they weren't even noticeable. The bike shifted nicely, braked good, and really rode darn good.

Don't laugh at my gear, and those gloves are my cold weather motorycycle gloves. A little bunglesome, but they kept my hands warm.

At 70 years old, and very litte fat, I just threw on layers to keep the cold off me..I look a little bummy don't I?

The is fun!!!

Last edited by cehowardGS; 12-19-10 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-19-10, 10:04 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
great! thanks for sharing! personally I like loose fitting gloves for cold weather and
I add thin glove liners to complete the digital protection. nice looking bike!
Old 12-19-10, 10:29 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
cehowardGS, The gauntlets maybe overkill, but at 14F overkill is definately the order of the day! A friend of mine and I bought some nylon sweatsuits for some upcoming training rides in the upper 20s. They worked pretty well with winter leggings underneath, a long sleeve jersy and sweat**** on top... oh yeah, two pairs of socks and PI winter gloves. We had steam coming off our heads at the end of our ride!

Brad
Old 12-19-10, 10:30 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
You are an animal, riding at 14 degrees is ridiculous. My limit is about 32, and not much wind.

Btw, I love the Chuck Taylor riding shoes.
Old 12-19-10, 11:02 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bradtx
cehowardGS, The gauntlets maybe overkill, but at 14F overkill is definately the order of the day! A friend of mine and I bought some nylon sweatsuits for some upcoming training rides in the upper 20s. They worked pretty well with winter leggings underneath, a long sleeve jersy and sweat**** on top... oh yeah, two pairs of socks and PI winter gloves. We had steam coming off our heads at the end of our ride!

Brad
Brad, I am newbie at this, but learning...I had two pair long johns on, plus you can see the full wrap around face cover too. Just like cold weather riding on the motorcycle, bicycle cold weather riding can be big fun if you DRESS FOR IT..I am looking into the cold weather suits they are next on my "do get list"..

Those gloves kept my hands warm for real!! and the hawk (the cold) was really biting..
Old 12-19-10, 11:05 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KOBE
You are an animal, riding at 14 degrees is ridiculous. My limit is about 32, and not much wind.

Btw, I love the Chuck Taylor riding shoes.
At my age, I really know that we are only passing this way one time. Can't save anything!!

I rode at the same temps on the motorcycle two days ago.. But, I am dressed down, and I have a 15 minute comfort window at 14 degrees on the motorcycle. On the bicycle, with what I had on, I was way over half hour comfort level. In both situations, the main ingredients are dressing for the cold, and having a ton of DESIRE!!
Old 12-19-10, 11:18 AM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 14 Posts
That's crazy! You get two big thumbs up for me. Now I feel like some big wuss not to go out and ride.
Old 12-19-10, 11:34 AM
raverson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Henry III
That's crazy! You get two big thumbs up for me. Now I feel like some big wuss not to go out and ride.
+1
Old 12-19-10, 11:43 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Henry III
Here I was thinking at 35F it may be a little too cold to ride today... I guess I'll get the bike out! Thanks for the inspiration!

OK, December 19, 2010, 35 degrees, with my new rebuilt rock steps in the background:

December 19, 2009 (I don't remember the temp, but it was cold, 20 inches of snow):

Last edited by wrk101; 12-19-10 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-19-10, 11:49 AM
well biked

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
........ the main ingredients are dressing for the cold, and having a ton of DESIRE!!
That is SO true! I tell people in our shop, who are complaining about the cold and riding indoors on trainers, etc., that if they REALLY wanted to get out and ride their bike, they would layer up and just do it. And I'm not talking about 14 degrees, either; more like 20's and 30's.

Way to go for getting out there (but day-um, I dunno if I'm up for it at fourteen degrees)!
Old 12-19-10, 12:16 PM
pinch1967

Bikes: Somec ,Eddy Merckx , Basso Ascot ,Specialized Allez pro , cervelo,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
welcome to my world LOL!! up here in Canada it gets pretty cold and i ride everyday in snow storms and whatever come my way . it takes a real man or woman to ride all year long up here. its great to see so many riders on there bike s this time of year . we are all die hards !!
** what the fun of having awesome bikes if we cant ride them **
Old 12-19-10, 12:47 PM
KtownDougie
Back in the saddle again

Bikes: GT Outpost, $100 MTB SS conversion, GT Gutterball

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have ridden to work at -20C/-4F with long johns, work pants and lined nylon pants to keep the wind out. I wear similar layers on top, and a scarf around my face with a toque. I really need warmer gloves, though. Fortunately my commute is only a couple of miles. Somehow my beater bike ended up with parts that are worthy of a much better frame

Keep on, sir!
Old 12-19-10, 12:58 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pinch1967
welcome to my world LOL!! up here in Canada it gets pretty cold and i ride everyday in snow storms and whatever come my way . it takes a real man or woman to ride all year long up here. its great to see so many riders on there bike s this time of year . we are all die hards !!
** what the fun of having awesome bikes if we cant ride them **
Canada=real cold, real, real cold.

Now, I am not up to riding my prize bikes out in the cold, snow and salt. I think I might have to get another beater bike for conditions that are worst. It was just 14 degrees out, cold, but nothing coming down, no storms, high winds. Right now, I am looking for another beater bike, more on the MTB style. So, when it is snow on the ground or say something coming down, I can shake-a-leg a little. But, none of my prize bikes going out in this stuff...
Old 12-19-10, 01:08 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KtownDougie
I have ridden to work at -20C/-4F with long johns, work pants and lined nylon pants to keep the wind out. I wear similar layers on top, and a scarf around my face with a toque. I really need warmer gloves, though. Fortunately my commute is only a couple of miles. Somehow my beater bike ended up with parts that are worthy of a much better frame

Keep on, sir!
Check out some motorycle gloves. At very low temps, the hands go first.

Peeps are telling me my beater bike is not a beater bike too!! Right now, it has some high end racing tires on it..I might be taking them off preety soon, and going for something with some tread.

Also, in this cold the comfort level is not too long. So, the miles will be cut down.. But, with rest stops, the ride can be made longer.

You sir, keep on with the single digit riding...
Old 12-19-10, 01:19 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Here I was thinking at 35F it may be a little too cold to ride today... I guess I'll get the bike out! Thanks for the inspiration!

OK, December 19, 2010, 35 degrees, with my new rebuilt rock steps in the background:

December 19, 2009 (I don't remember the temp, but it was cold, 20 inches of snow):

As we pile on the years, we can't afford to pass up good riding times, at least that is the way I see.

The steps look good...
Old 12-19-10, 03:16 PM
RobE30
Wherever I may roam....

Bikes: A few bikes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I look like a homeless person when I ride in the cold. Long johns, knee high ski socks, black Dickies work pants (surprisingly wind proof), layered top, snowboarding gloves, hat and a ski jacket shell. Its good for about 20 miles or so (less if it's windy or below 15). Good times!
Old 12-19-10, 04:23 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
Way to go, cehowardGS! I'll commute all year round, but that's only 3.5 miles each way. When the temp gets in the teens, I'll break out the silk long underwear, wool balaclava + wool cap, and winter gloves. Otherwise, I'm wearing my usual work clothes and winter parka. It's been a while since I was out for a longer ride, mostly due to not having the time though the cold has been a factor (I've gone running as an alternative), but I might try and get out this week before we get our first snow storm of the season. I'll wear long johns and cross-country ski pants below the waist, a few layers of wool on top plus a winter riding jacket I bought at the LL Bean Outlet last year--good insulation without bulk, plus the headgear. It's my feet that get the coldest, even with a sock liner and a wool sock, so I'm contemplating some sort of winter booties.

Neal
Old 12-19-10, 04:31 PM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh my god I'm so glad I live where I live.
Old 12-19-10, 04:48 PM
snarkypup

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sports: The Root Beer Bomber

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CEHoward, you are one very serious man . I made it just four miles yesterday, and it weren't no 14 degrees... more like 40.

I like my Gore bike gloves with half-lobster fingers. Got 'em at REI. NOT cheap. I went to look at the cheap-o outdoor gloves you boys like, but they were too big for my hands. I have a medium adult female hand, which means I can wear a men's small glove, but they just had too much bulk. I couldn't imagine gripping anything with them. So I went to REI and tried these. I don't own other bike-specific clothing, but my hands are often very cold and painful, so this seemed like a good place to invest. Very comfy and warm. I haven't taken them out below freezing, but right at it, and they kept even my freezing hands happy. You folks could probably take them much lower in temp, having warmer hands to begin with.

https://www.rei.com/product/789290
Old 12-19-10, 05:09 PM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
cehowardGS
You are tough man, riding in 14 degree ice cold weather. I rode 30 miles this morning in South Florida, it was 51 and it seemed like I froze to death. Nice bike.

Mike
Old 12-19-10, 05:18 PM
garage sale GT
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Personally, I can't believe that Schwinn Preludes in great shape are $50 beaters in your neck of the woods!!! World Sports go for $150 in Chicagoland!
Old 12-20-10, 04:09 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RobE30
I look like a homeless person when I ride in the cold. Long johns, knee high ski socks, black Dickies work pants (surprisingly wind proof), layered top, snowboarding gloves, hat and a ski jacket shell. Its good for about 20 miles or so (less if it's windy or below 15). Good times!
Way to go! Look at me in my pic, I look like a thug, and old thug at that!! But, I was warm. Not only that, we have to know our comfort level time/distance, and adhere to it. The ride is supposed to be FUN, not agony..We stay within our limits, there is a whole ton of riding time and fun time to be had riding in the cold.

Yes indeed, they are good times!!
Old 12-20-10, 04:15 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Way to go, cehowardGS! I'll commute all year round, but that's only 3.5 miles each way. When the temp gets in the teens, I'll break out the silk long underwear, wool balaclava + wool cap, and winter gloves. Otherwise, I'm wearing my usual work clothes and winter parka. It's been a while since I was out for a longer ride, mostly due to not having the time though the cold has been a factor (I've gone running as an alternative), but I might try and get out this week before we get our first snow storm of the season. I'll wear long johns and cross-country ski pants below the waist, a few layers of wool on top plus a winter riding jacket I bought at the LL Bean Outlet last year--good insulation without bulk, plus the headgear. It's my feet that get the coldest, even with a sock liner and a wool sock, so I'm contemplating some sort of winter booties.

Neal
Way to go Neal!

Thanks for spelling that word for me too, "balaclava" I wear one that is made like a thick cold gear under armour shirt..That is overtop two to three layers of long john shirts. The balaclava keeps the face, neck and back of neck warm..I am going to check into the less bulkier gear.. But, in the meantime, I am layering up like no tomorrow!!!

ceh
Old 12-20-10, 04:19 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by garage sale GT
Personally, I can't believe that Schwinn Preludes in great shape are $50 beaters in your neck of the woods!!! World Sports go for $150 in Chicagoland!
I knew this was coming!! Anyway, the Prelude is getting a different seat, and matching bar tape (silver), might get a set of different wheels too. That might, just might pull it out of beater status. But, up against my other rides, it is a BEATER!! I am getting ready to start a thread on my 85 Prestige, check it out..The Prelude is taking the dirty rides, so my other bikes only see prime good clean riding weather...
Old 12-20-10, 04:20 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jtgotsjets
Oh my god I'm so glad I live where I live.
We hate ya!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.