Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Back to School!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Back to School!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-24, 01:47 PM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
A few years ago I thought I would exercise my brain by brushing up on my Russian so I signed up for intermediate level.
i went to one class and found they were still learning the alphabet! Got my money back.
Old 04-08-24, 09:40 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,443 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
First off, how excellent that you went back and finished!! Now in post-grad...that is just awesome, Chapeau!

I'm 95% commuting on the bus. Riding through central Flushing is pretty fking nutty, especially during rush hours, and that's from a guy riding ~ 3,000 miles a year in Queens.
I've only ridden through Flushing a few times, so I'll take your word for it.

In my experience, Queens, at least the route from the 59th St Bridge to Elmhurst, is a lot milder than where I commute to work. I work in Kingsbridge (the Bronx), and I have to ride through Washington Heights and Inwood. Awful, awful drivers who think left turners have priority over everyone.

College and grad school are hard! I decided I want to be a special ed teacher because I discovered I have learning disabilities, so I want to be the help I wish I had. But this is hard for me because, well, I have learning disabilities. To finish my BA, I had to take four math courses and three computer science courses. My BA was in computer science. Now I'm taking education courses, a totally new field, so the concepts are new, and of course so is the jargon. And I have to read and write so much. I got a computer science degree for various reasons, and one of them was so that I wouldn't have to read and write so much.

But I'm having a great time, even with difficulty and fears. I love working with kids!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 04-10-24, 05:30 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 1,599 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Artmo
A few years ago I thought I would exercise my brain by brushing up on my Russian so I signed up for intermediate level.
i went to one class and found they were still learning the alphabet! Got my money back.
Oh Jeez, Russian!
My riding partner/best friend is an old Russia hand, State Dept, et cetera.His language ability is annoyingly good, and he couldn't find a French class at the right level, so he's using a subscription app.
Old 04-11-24, 07:33 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 6,732 Times in 2,619 Posts
I'm an academic/teacher and have been in this business since the mid 1980s. My plan is to retire in a couple of years (I turn 64 next week, so hopefully retirement at 65 or 66). But I'm seriously thinking of going back to get a grad degree in library science post retirement. It wouldn't be to get a job in the field (I want to be retired!), but because I want to learn new things, do a deep dive into a subject area with other students and mentors rather than on my own. We'll see if that happens. I don't want it to interfere with my post-retirement biking plans!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-16-24, 01:42 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,443 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I'm an academic/teacher and have been in this business since the mid 1980s. My plan is to retire in a couple of years (I turn 64 next week, so hopefully retirement at 65 or 66). But I'm seriously thinking of going back to get a grad degree in library science post retirement. It wouldn't be to get a job in the field (I want to be retired!), but because I want to learn new things, do a deep dive into a subject area with other students and mentors rather than on my own. We'll see if that happens. I don't want it to interfere with my post-retirement biking plans!
That's very cool. Do you have any arts you could get more involved in? I've been singing all my life. And one day I'll be able to make the time to learn a new language and a new musical instrument. Maybe I'll even learn to draw.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-17-24, 05:44 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 1,599 Times in 742 Posts
I had an online test last week and mentioned to my daughter that it's so easy to cheat during an online test. She said that's High School thinking, that by 3rd semester of college, it's mostly students that want to be there and are trying to get an education. But compulsory high school is a different situation and cheating is a thing.

So I took the test clean and got an honest 85, which is my lowest test grade to date. I've decided I prefer tests in person, and at heart I've got a High School mentality. 😜
Likes For BTinNYC: