Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

fall = losing my mojo

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

fall = losing my mojo

Old 09-23-20, 02:07 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
days shorter, cooler just feels harder to motivate self to ride.
how do you cope ..
Each season has its charms (and, its drawbacks).
- summer: bibs and jersey, go (OK, I have to apply sunscreen); ride faster with less effort than other seasons; long hours of daylight
- autumn: cool/less humid weather is refreshing; windier weather I find stimulating, everything is rushing around (air, leaves, migrating birds, etc.) makes me feel like I should be rushing around too; beautiful colors; riding slower means more time to look around; fewer cyclists, more room on park roads, shoulders, etc.; my favorite season overall, can't say it's my favorite riding season because I like riding in all seasons (fall is definitely my favorite for hiking/camping/backpacking)
- winter: still and quiet (no chirping birds, no rustling leaves, often just wind past my ears and tires on road, sometimes water over rocks); generally slightly lower traffic on roads/riding on roads closed to cars (Harriman park); can see things normally hidden by leaves; feel like a badass when everyone else is inside; hot shower after ride feels SOOOO GOOD!!
- spring: getting warmer, have to wear less clothing; getting faster/riding farther; getting more daylight to ride; that first ride of the season with bare arms/legs; seeing/hearing leaves budding and wildlife returning/waking up
Likes For noimagination:
Old 09-23-20, 02:39 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
I'm from Socal? It's hard to relate
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 09-23-20, 03:15 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
how do you cope ..
Fall as in the season or Fall as in crashing your bike?
Old 09-23-20, 04:20 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
how do you cope ..
I ride all year round...Fall is my favourite time of the year and I am looking forward to the winter riding season.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-23-20, 05:28 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I thought @thehammerdog had just taken a bad fall, causing him to back off on aggressive riding. That's happened to me in mountain biking. Now in my 60s, I'm not nearly as reckless as I was in my 40s.

As for autumn, it's my favorite time of year to ride. The air is cooler and significantly drier in the DC/Virginia area. That's a huge factor for my enjoyment. I love fall because the scenery gets transformed from lush green with its loamy scents and dull insect buzz to varied colors, cool breezes and the first whiff of leaves decaying.

Not so sure about mojo, but I hope that this helps the discussion. PG
Yes, it has been a GLORIOUS late-summer here in Northern Ohio. Cool days, lots of Shine!

Yeah, but I find myself NOT wanting to ride in the dark/dusk/twilight now especially - more because of cellphoneitis distracted drivers. I mean seriously - PUT THE DAMN PHONE DOWN !!!!! It is bad enough when my morning commute is in daytime, but now that it is dark/twilight? Forgetaboutit! I can't tell you how many times that I see commuting drivers looking at those devil devices instead of what is in front of them!!! If I EVER get hit by a car, I hope that they look to see if the driver was on their damn cell phone and PROSECUTE them accordingly!!!
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 09-23-20, 05:35 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Southeast Texas here. Fall means the next 8 months of riding are going to be fantastic!
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 09-23-20, 11:08 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I switch to running during the week due to the shortness of daylight hours. On weekends I'll dress appropriately and head out for a ride provided it isn't raining. Anything above 0 and I'll be out on the road. Rides aren't as long as my summer rides, but still getting in 60 - 90k feels good.
Old 09-23-20, 11:19 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Got the first good ride in today since mid-August (when the fires started):

Only about 20% was in the burn areas, so that helped a lot. The air quality was quite good (although there is still ash everywhere, and I had to scrub it off my skin after the ride). Here is the bike in Wilder Ranch, with Monterey Bay in the background:

Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 09-23-20, 11:28 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
I'm from Socal? It's hard to relate
I hear a lot of people talking about this "fall." There are even memes. It was only 94º today, so I guess that's close? We'll be back up over 100º for most of next week. We have summer, then slightly-less-summer, then the part of the year where it rains a little and people wear coats.

I would look forward to this fall if that happened here. Palm trees look the same year-round, and our trees that are supposed to drop leaves are so confused some of them bloom in December. Our lemon tree will sometimes produce two crops a year.

I need no help in being motivated as the end of the year approaches. It's nice when it's not 90º by 9am.
Old 09-23-20, 11:59 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Bring on the arm warmers, wool caps, full-finger gloves and toe covers -- I thrive in cooler temps!

Weather is just like climbing hills: convince yourself that you like it, and eventually you will.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-24-20, 08:28 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Cooler weather is also the time when I can tolerate running. When it gets below freezing, I rather prefer the lesser wind chill of slower speed.

Otto
Old 09-24-20, 10:40 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I hear a lot of people talking about this "fall." There are even memes. It was only 94º today, so I guess that's close? We'll be back up over 100º for most of next week. We have summer, then slightly-less-summer, then the part of the year where it rains a little and people wear coats.

I would look forward to this fall if that happened here. Palm trees look the same year-round, and our trees that are supposed to drop leaves are so confused some of them bloom in December. Our lemon tree will sometimes produce two crops a year.

I need no help in being motivated as the end of the year approaches. It's nice when it's not 90º by 9am.
It was cool all summer long... until September then it's close to record heat for almost an entire month, then throw in the fires. September has been a hot and smokey month for sure.
I'm in south OC so we're a bit cooler than folks in LA and Inland.
Old 09-24-20, 10:48 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Fall just means it's getting closer to Snowmobile Season.
Old 09-24-20, 11:13 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
After the blistering heat and humidity and rainy days of summer, as it cools off I find my motivation to get out increases in multiples of 100.
Likes For FlMTNdude:
Old 09-24-20, 12:24 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Working at home today, I was able to break away for a ride. Made a stop at one of the local grocery stores on the way back for some lunch.

Overcast skies, 70 degrees, a smattering of mist in the air. Excellent, excellent, excellent!!!
Old 09-24-20, 03:40 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Had 3 mornings in the low 40s and one afternoon of rain during my recent 9-day tour. When you have to keep moving you learn how to cope.
Old 09-24-20, 04:22 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I like the cooler weather, I actually keep the mileage going but average speed drops. I don’t really care about average speed. The worst thing about the cooler weather is the perpetually runny nose.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 09-24-20, 04:25 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Yeah, I was just noticing that it was a month and a half since I switched back to only riding SS and I’m riding significantly longer rides and a bit faster, but I think the perfect riding temps and beautiful weather have a lot to do with it. Our trails are so pretty now that I just want to keep riding and ride every single day.

Riding SS mostly means not having to think about shifts and less dust/grime collected by the chain.

In winter, when everything is grey and brown (and sometimes white) and it’s cold, that’s when I will probably be content to get out, get in some decent work and get home before my fingers are numb.

Otto
I kind of agree I learn towards the simple stuff. SS or just slow mtb ride. no pressure.
Old 09-24-20, 09:33 PM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
There are a few factors that combine to motivate me to bike to work year-round, in all weather including snow.

I guess my main motivation is "smugness". Seriously. I may not be the fastest, the most stylish, or have the best and newest equipment, but I am riding when many others don't. I was missing too many days due to snow and ice in the winter, so five years ago I bought studded snow tires and I gained back all those "lost" winter days. I started to push my cold weather threshold down and I reclaimed even more days of riding. (I'm good down to 5F now).

Three years ago I experimented with DIY rain capes, fashioned one, that works, then another and now I ride on more rainy days, or days where it is likely to rain. ( I have always had adequate fenders on my commuter bikes.)

Then there's the "health" angle. I'm 58 and my daily 18 mile-round-trip ride keeps me healthy enough to enjoy life with better cardio, stamina and blood chemistry (like lower cholesterol). Riding also helps with my seasonal allergies...especially in winter. Sure, riding outdoors exposes me to grass, pollen and whatever (including smoke from fires), but after 15-20 minutes of riding my sinuses open up and drain, and it makes a positive difference.

Then there's the "endorphin factor". Riding just feels good! Okay, it's more than just endorphins, there's norepinephrine secretion, dopamine, and serotonin. All combine to give a pleasurable sensation, or "runner's high".

And I sleep better when I am cycling regularly.

And that ties into better mental health. Less depression, quiet time alone (alone with spoken word podcasts for me (one ear only). Freedom from stressful car-traffic (for the most part). And when there is stress and frustration in my life...mashing a bicycle pedal relieves it better than mashing a gas pedal.

Then there's the adventure and beauty factor. Fall colors, crisp cool air, pristine snow, not only traveling under my own power, but putting out enough heat to stay comfortable on my own. Riding home at night in the dark, during winter months I feel safer as I'm lit up from head to to and side to side. And on dark, quiet side streets I feel like a kid under the blankets with a flashlight.

Meeting the challenges of season and weather is just another hill to master.

Another big motivation for me was "The Year I Didn't Ride". In 2010 at 48 I suffered a bulging disk in my neck. I wasn't sure if I was going to ride again or not. Excruciating, unrelenting pain aside, the total physical inactivity brought all the things I enjoyed about cycling into focus through their absence. I gained weight, lost stamina, experienced sinus problems, became depressed, stressed and slept poorly. Getting back on the bike and getting in shape enough to ride to work took a few months, and reconquering the hills here in Colorado Springs took even longer, but I got back to where I was.

I guess that "fight" to get back has really been my main motivation over the last ten years. No one and nothing is going to keep me off the bike if I can help it...And as I approach my 60s I feel as if I am at least "cheating death" and old age, if not actually fighting back against them.

The motivational secret of biking to work is that you only have to have enough motivation to get dressed and ride 5 minutes. After that, if you don't feel like riding, it is more of a hassle to return home, change into your street clothes and drive, or take whatever transit you take to work. Not to mention the lost time. The same with returning home.

So those are my motivations for riding year-round in all weather...or perhaps the reasons to have me committed to an institution.

Everybody is different and you will have to find your motivation or motivating factors.

And if you don't ride in all seasons and weather conditions, that's okay, too. Most people don't.

Just ride your ride, and enjoy what you do.
Nice post. The feel good impact keeps me going. Not as much time for morning rides with later sunrise, but still keep going out. Have not done indoor riding other than a bit in the gym which I did not really like.
Old 09-24-20, 10:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2565 Post(s)
Liked 5,595 Times in 2,903 Posts
Reading this thread makes me regret trashing my fenders two months ago. Lots of good thought and inspiration here.

Old 09-24-20, 11:03 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
Fall means more laundry, and dangerous conditions, like leaves that emit oils when wet,, or obstacles hidden under the leaves,

Good points are a feeling of being 'bad" as most wimps are hanging up there bikes and staying indoors where it is safe.

Also colder weather builds stronger muscles. Ever wonder why all the power lifters live in the Ukraine, and all the skinny soccer players live near the equator?

Less people on thee bike path, which will please the anti-social types, or depress the people who need people.

Fall will make you appreciate Spring, when you know you are heading into a long summer of riding.

If you can swing it, change your after work rides to morning rides, I go to work at 11 AM so a morning ride is totally feasible. This also means changing flats while it is bright outside.
Likes For cjenrick:
Old 09-28-20, 12:56 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Hitting the gym, elliptical, fitness classes, walking. Will do shorter rides on a sunny, warmish afternoon instead of my usual morning ride time.
Old 09-28-20, 02:00 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Maybe it’s a difference in climate, but September is usually a big cycling month for me. It’s been the normal relatively dry month and I’ve barely missed a day. With less heat I’ve been doing mostly 2-3 hour rides with 1.5 hours being about the shortest.

Otto
Old 09-28-20, 10:17 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I generally don't ride my bike in cold wet weather. However, usually around early to mid November I'm off to Thailand where I can ride all winter in shorts and a shirt. Well, due to Covid-19 I won't be going this year so will have to come up with something else. Most likely I will do more running this winter if stuck in the USA.
Old 09-29-20, 01:07 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
In NC, Sept/Oct/Nov can be amazing. Daylight hours starts stinking for weeknights after work. But otherwise into the 70's and upper 40's in the mornings. Maybe some clothing needs, but no more stinking hot/humid.

I usually start gravel riding more come fall. So something to look forward to. I average a slower speed than road so the wind/face/cold thing isn't as much a factor.

I race cross, so usually would have been looking forward to doing that pre-Covid.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.