Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Elemnt autopause

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Wahoo Elemnt autopause

Old 10-28-20, 11:25 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Wahoo Elemnt autopause

Before we get into a johnson measuring contest about the merits of bragging about speeds with autopause or not.............this is for my TT bike. I log the rides with the weather to keep track of data. I do the same routes a lot training on that bike, so can reasonably ascertain how things are going just by looking at overall ride speeds versus power. Days can have different weather, but I prefer things this way.

It would be OK if this autopause issue consistently made my rides slower, or faster, or whatever. But it seems to be really sensitive on stopping/restarting now. So, it's hit or miss on how much it affects a ride. TT bike ride data is all about when you're moving to know how efficient you're moving forward given the power put into it.

Now. I had a Bolt already. I killed it. Well, water did after the button covers fell off. Liked it well enough and got a new one. Newer one has the itchiest trigger finger on the auto pause I've ever seen. There is NO way the gps is that accurate.

I can't even hardly move when stopped at all! I take the Bolt on runs and convert the activity to a run after and when I stop to stretch it sometimes is un-pausing while I just stand and stretch. It's that sensitive.

Any advice on this?
Old 10-28-20, 11:31 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
You can adjust the auto pause or turn it off in settings.
Old 10-28-20, 03:05 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by jadocs
You can adjust the auto pause or turn it off in settings.
I tried. I don’t see it. I know Garmin has that but can’t find anything but an on/off for Wahoo.
Old 10-28-20, 03:30 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
On my Garmin Edges, I set the auto-pause to "less than 3 mph". The only time I'm ever less than 3mph is for a moment before coming to a complete stop. Even following all but the slowest of walkers I am still over 3 mph.

When your GPS calculates your position over and over and over, while you are standing still, enough of those calculations might be as much as 30 feet away from you and it thinks you are still moving.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-29-20, 01:23 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Apparently, if you add a wahoo speed sensor it is used to determine a paused ride and not the GPS.
I find my Bolt auto pause very consistent now.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 10-29-20, 07:53 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I tried. I don’t see it. I know Garmin has that but can’t find anything but an on/off for Wahoo.
You are right. I saw the Wahoo app (not the Elemt app) has the ability to choose the mph you want it to auto pause. I wonder since it is the same account that one signs into if it has any effect on the bolt?
Old 10-29-20, 08:48 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I may try the speed sensor thing. I have an old ANT+ Garmin one. It should work I suppose.

I swear though I've had trouble with it defaulting in the data fields of the export file to the GPS speed instead of the speed sensor the one or two times way back I used it. I throw it on to get speed data for TT testing, it's better than GPS.
Old 10-29-20, 10:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I may try the speed sensor thing. I have an old ANT+ Garmin one. It should work I suppose.

I swear though I've had trouble with it defaulting in the data fields of the export file to the GPS speed instead of the speed sensor the one or two times way back I used it. I throw it on to get speed data for TT testing, it's better than GPS.
That may be more to do with the site or program that processes your log data you upload. The log file will always have gps coordinates and their date/timestamp. Some sites will only use this to figure various things like speed, are you moving and a lot of other things they determine from that.

It's been a while since I've even tried to figure out what some sites go by and just as long since I've looked at the data in the .fit files that get uploaded as I don't have the utility I had to view the actual data in them. So I'll shut up about that for now as I'll get myself in too deep to talk myself out of a misspoken phrase. <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-29-20, 01:58 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
FWIW, there have been many, many requests to Wahoo to allow for users to change the auto pause threshold via the companion app. There's a thread or two on the Wahoo Elemnt User's Forum about it but I don't think that Wahoo actively reads the forum or responds since they haven't made that change. Sometimes I wonder why the forum is there.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress