Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Cheapest tracking device for distance?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-20, 01:15 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

My old Garmin seems to be dying as the information it’s been giving me is wildly inaccurate. I’m really only concerned with tracking distance, what would be the least expensive device that would do that ?
And I would be using it on multiple bikes so prefer satellite tracking over any sort of cables attached to the front wheel.

Cheers !

Last edited by Tomm Willians; 10-17-20 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-17-20, 10:53 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
A smartphone and app. I prefer Wahoo Fitness over Strava and most others. It's low resource demand so it won't drain the battery when in my pocket with the display off. The app display is very simple but it records a lot more data than the app reveals, so upload it to Strava or other site or software. It's compatible with most or all sensors, Bluetooth and ANT+. It has a few user customizable features.

I've used two or more devices simultaneously -- phone with apps, wired computer, wireless non-GPS computer, wireless GPS computer with magnet and earth induction sensors, ANT+ and Bluetooth. The results are all acceptably close.

Any minor differences are due to sampling rates, occasional loss of GPS sync (phones handle this better by using cell tower data), etc.

I haven't noticed any significant differences between speed estimated by GPS only, by phones using GPS and cell data, magnet type wheel sensors, earth induction type wheel sensors. They're all within a tenth of a MPH or so. Same with distance estimates.

I do use an inexpensive GPS computer to record most rides (XOSS G+, which is compatible with Strava) but I mostly refer to it for heart rate during rides. It's small and light on the handlebar or stem, and runs up to 24-36 hours between charges (depending on whether the backlighting is enabled). However I still mostly refer to my phone and Wahoo Fitness for most rides.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-17-20, 11:12 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
$5
They work Great

https://www.wish.com/product/5bfe629..._BwE&share=web

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 10-18-20, 09:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
What wildly inaccurate data are you getting? The satellites are not geosynchronous and at various times of the year there might be fewer available to the device to come up with an accurate figure. Particularly if you are in a city with tall buildings or ride routes with high terrain to your south or very dense wet foliage.

I will agree that a simple app on a smart phone will provide an accurate enough total distance. Especially if you are in an area that GPS signals are weak. The AGPS that phones use has the potential to let them determine where you are quicker after loosing a signal.

edit... isn't this more a question for the gadget forum?

Last edited by Iride01; 10-18-20 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-18-20, 10:23 AM
zen_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
I have an iGPSPORT iGS10 that cost $40 as a backup / commuting device. It functions just fine as a basic computer with ANT+ heart rate and cadence sensors, and it also uses the same mount as Garmin. The software is pretty basic, with the usual concerns about privacy with Chinese data collection, but it does at least work (and syncs to Strava / Training Peaks).
Old 10-22-20, 11:40 AM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
Assume your Garmin is still working, why don 't you get a speed sensor and enter the wheel diameter based on physical measurement? The Garmin should default to the sensor, mine does. Unless you have survey grade or military equipment, civilian GPS is just not that accurate.
Old 10-23-20, 08:29 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
The cheapest, most accurate, least fussy and most reliable would be a basic wired Bell speedometer.

If you don't want it cluttering the handlebars, put the sensor on the back wheel and stow the display in your saddle bag. Completely discrete and out of the wind that way.
Likes For wphamilton: