Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need New Chain: KMC X10SL or SRAM PC-1090

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Need New Chain: KMC X10SL or SRAM PC-1090

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-09, 09:37 AM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by umd
Yes, but you don't need to keep pointing it out. I still type better than most peope in this sorry place.
Me included...
Old 12-31-09, 09:54 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
My typing is awful. Always has been and never gets better. I have to revise all of my posts of any length.
Old 12-31-09, 09:58 AM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That Campy Veloce chain... will it work on SRAM 10s drivetrains?
Old 12-31-09, 09:58 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Yes, but you don't need to keep pointing it out. I still type better than most peope in this sorry place.
I'm amazed it let you write "thet", in that case. Mine corrects that to "they".
Old 12-31-09, 10:12 AM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I'm far from expert, but I haven't heard a single positive word about SRAM chains.
You have now I've been an LBS mechanic since 1989, so I might have some expertise on this topic, it's just possible My own KMC X10 SL wore out pretty quickly, it broke, and its master link was not a good fit to the chain itself (too wide, leaving lots of end clearance).

Everyone who has, or is getting, a KMC 10-speed chain, take a critical look at the side clearances on your master link and tell me if that looks like a well-made fit to you.

PowerLock.jpg

Last edited by mechBgon; 12-31-09 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-31-09, 10:39 AM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by bdcheung
That Campy Veloce chain... will it work on SRAM 10s drivetrains?
From a width standpoint, there is no problem. All Campy 10 chains have the same 5.9mm width as the other brands and of course they all have the same 1/2 inch pitch.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 12-31-09 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-31-09, 10:43 AM
DaveSSS 

KMC master links do have more side clearance than the rest of the chain and even the other links have more initial side clearance than some other brands (around .2mm or .008 inch). They make a special version of the missing link for Campy chains that should be about .1mm or .004 inch narrower across the inside. It would be a tighter fit on a KMC or Shimano chain, but the clearance should not be less than .1mm. You don't want the fit to be too tight.
Old 12-31-09, 10:56 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Braden1550
I also had a bad experience with a KMC chain that WAS installed correctly. Shifted like sh1t and snapped. Then I put a 6700 chain on it and it was like riding a different gruppo. Makes me like my 105 instead of regarding it with utter disdain like I was due to poor shifting performance that disappeared when I replaced the chain.

That said, I don't know what model kmc 10sp it was, perhaps a better one will be entirely different.
I had chain stretch occur in less than 1000 miles with my kmc dx10 sl chain. Right now I'm trying out a dura ace chain with a wipperman connex link. So far so good.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 12-31-09, 12:33 PM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by Nachoman
I had chain stretch occur in less than 1000 miles with my kmc dx10 sl chain. Right now I'm trying out a dura ace chain with a wipperman connex link. So far so good.
In contrast, I did a chain wear test on both a DA 10 chain and a KMC DX10SC a couple of years ago. The KMC did not show as much elongation after 2500 miles as the DA chain. I expected the DA chain to go for about 3500 miles before reaching .5% elongation and the KMC to make about 4,000. Both elongate 2-3 times more than a Campy chain at the same mileage, given the same maintenance and ridden on the same terrain.

That doesn't mean the Campy chain lasts that much longer, since it still suffers from roller wear and side clearance increase, just like the other brands, but I still expect more life from it. I toss a Campy 10 chain based on roller and side wear values that usually take me about 5,000 miles to reach. The elongation will not even be close to .5% at that mileage, but the chain is still shot. If only one chain is used on a cassette for that long, then it's also likely to cause chain skip, even though it never got close to .5% elongation.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 12-31-09 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-31-09, 12:45 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'm just about to order a KMC x-10 Ti chain for my SRAM set up. I love everything about SRAM but the noise. I hope this will help.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 12-31-09, 02:36 PM
grafik1979

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
KMC makes a nice chain. only reason for a SRAM would be you want to complete your SRAM RED group.
Old 01-01-10, 12:10 AM
Yangster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey sorry to ask again, from what i know there is 2 different type of missing link for the kmc. Shimano and campy for 10speed. The kmc 10slx chain comes with which type of missing link? Is it possible to fit the centaur 2009 with no issue? From what i gather is that shimano and campy has different size. or has they changed to the same size already?
Old 01-01-10, 02:25 AM
shabbasuraj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WIPPERMAN.

/end thread
Old 01-01-10, 02:28 AM
Bnjmn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have put 1000's of miles on SRAM chains. Many 1000's. Zero problems. A few of those 1000s of miles were with no maintenance and crappy weather on a cross country trip. Still no problems.
So there is a good word or two about SRAM chains. 1090-R on the trip. 1090 and 1070 elsewhere with no problems. PC1 on my commuter bike. Zero chain problems ever. Over 10,000++ miles over the past couple years.
Old 01-01-10, 02:34 AM
shabbasuraj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YUMEYA ............. also on my whips.
Old 01-01-10, 08:56 AM
DaveSSS 

A KMC chain would come with a missing link make for a KMC chain. The other width sold will fit any Campy UN chain. The link for the Campy chains should be about .1mm narrower across the inside of the plates.

Links that fit a KMC chain will also fit Wipperman and Shimano. SRAM and Campy UN have a slightly narrower width across the inner plates, so links that fit one will fit the other.
Old 01-01-10, 09:05 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
A KMC chain would come with a missing link make for a KMC chain. The other width sold will fit any Campy UN chain. The link for the Campy chains should be about .1mm narrower across the inside of the plates.

Links that fit a KMC chain will also fit Wipperman and Shimano. SRAM and Campy UN have a slightly narrower width across the inner plates, so links that fit one will fit the other.
Which brand and model do you use Dave, thanks.
Old 01-01-10, 09:36 AM
DaveSSS 

I use Campy chains except when I'm conducting a chain wear test. Now that I have 11 speed on all of my bikes, Campy is the only choice, at present.

I really prefer Wipperman connex links, but they no longer make one that's a good fit for a Campy chain. They used to make a 10S1 model that was narrower and fit well. I still have a couple of them and even used one with an 11 speed chain.

I've used the KMC missing link on both 10 and 11 speed chains, but haven't logged enough miles on them to say how well I like them. The fit is looser than I like, but they don't make any noise. I tried a Forster superlink model 4 with an 11 speed chain, but it clicked every time it went over the cogs.

From a fit standpoint, a SRAM 10 powerloc should work on a Campy 10 or 11 speed chain, but I've not tried it.
Old 01-01-10, 09:40 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I use Campy chains except when I'm conducting a chain wear test. Now that I have 11 speed on all of my bikes, Campy is the only choice, at present.

I really prefer Wipperman connex links, but they no longer make one that's a good fit for a Campy chain. They used to make a 10S1 model that was narrower and fit well. I still have a couple of them and even used one with an 11 speed chain.

I've used the KMC missing link on both 10 and 11 speed chains, but haven't logged enough miles on them to say how well I like them. The fit is looser than I like, but they don't make any noise. I tried a Forster superlink model 4 with an 11 speed chain, but it clicked every time it went over the cogs.

From a fit standpoint, a SRAM 10 powerloc should work on a Campy 10 or 11 speed chain, but I've not tried it.
Thanks Dave, after posting the question I looked the chain up and it sounds like the one I'll be getting.
Campagnolo Record Ultra Narrow.
Old 01-01-10, 10:15 AM
Yangster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does that mean if i buy a x10sl chain which is compatible for campy,shimano,sram. It will fit well with the centaur 2009 groupset i am currently using with no issue? Thanks for your help in advance
Old 01-01-10, 10:20 AM
DaveSSS 

All current 10 speed chains have about the same 5.9mm width and are cross compatible from a width standpoint. Perceptions of shifting performance will vary depending on the drivetrain and chain match-up. I had no problems with KMC or DA chains with my Campy 10 drivetrains.
Old 01-01-10, 10:51 AM
tubescreamerx
climbing

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Ridley Crosswind

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Broke an X10-SL within a month. It was properly installed. Couldn't seem to handle shifts under light loads very well. My current SRAM PC-1030 has been great since then (and only $29). IMO, lightweight chains are very unnecessary. I've also found that chains with hollow plates are louder.
Old 01-01-10, 05:16 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I had chain stretch occur in less than 1000 miles with my kmc dx10 sl chain.
The cheap KMC DX10SC chain I installed on my touring bike didn't last 750 miles before it was stretched to the point where it was affecting shifting. Then the aptly named "Missing Link" exploded. Their more expensive chains might work better. For the moment, I have SRAM on all my bikes...
Old 01-01-10, 05:27 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
Then the aptly-named "Missing Link" exploded.
Sorry for your mishap, but I LOLed
Old 01-01-10, 05:28 PM
RParker

Bikes: 09 Orbea Orca, 04 Trek 5500 Project One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
KMC best I have had on SRAM Red yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.