Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's the 'cleanest' bike chain lubricant out there?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What's the 'cleanest' bike chain lubricant out there?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-12, 12:09 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
You realize this is like offering pearls to swine, don't you.
If the pigs are as smart as they say they are, they would know that chain lube is nothing more than oil and solvents and that the rest is marketing.

Was riding 500km a week last summer and only lubed my chain once a week when it was dry and this was more out of habit and routine than actual need.
Old 06-03-12, 12:33 PM
curiouskid55

Bikes: o5 Specilized roubaix Comp, 06 Tequilo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One drop per pin wipe off all excess pretty f****n simple
Old 06-03-12, 12:42 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuc
How I prep a NEW chain for White Lightening is important, IMHO, I squirt WD40 on a clean rag and wipe all that factory grease from the chain before putting it on. Don't spray the chain directly with WD-40, it will penetrate the o-rings and draw moisture in with it.
Tuc-I have a question: "WD-40" stands for "Water Displacement." So it displaces water, but isn't intended on lubrication or long-term rust preventive. Works very well just as you are using it. So can you elaborate on what you are seeing that indicates it is "draw moisture in with it." Might help me understand more about chain cleaning and lubrication. Thanks. :-)
Old 06-03-12, 01:28 PM
etw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
White Lightning Clean Ride
I have also used various White Lightning lubes with good results. If you want it to last longer, you might try the Wet Ride formula

https://www.whitelightningco.com/products/index.htm
Old 06-03-12, 06:08 PM
Hendo252 

Bikes: 1983 Trek 620, 2010 Roubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had good luck with the Finish Line wax lube... applies easy out of the bottle, stays clean, no buildup.

I give the chain a dose once a week.

I've used melted paraffin wax before with good results too, but it requires removing from the bike to re-apply.

Works for me!
Old 06-03-12, 06:12 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadTired
Tuc-I have a question: "WD-40" stands for "Water Displacement." So it displaces water, but isn't intended on lubrication or long-term rust preventive. Works very well just as you are using it. So can you elaborate on what you are seeing that indicates it is "draw moisture in with it." Might help me understand more about chain cleaning and lubrication. Thanks. :-)

Here's a cut 'n paste from the wd 40 web site:

[h=1]Works and Plays as Hard as You Do[/h]
Whether you’re a fisherman, cyclist, pool shark or anything in between, WD-40[SUB]®[/SUB] can help protect the equipment you use and ensure you continue doing the things you love. Use America’s favorite multi-purpose product to lubricate, protect and drive moisture from your gear and help avoid costly repairs later.

Drives moisture from wet bicycle chains
Bicycle chains are made of many small moving parts that are often exposed to wet or humid conditions. Use WD-40 to displace moisture and keep chains lubricated, so you can always enjoy a smooth ride.
Old 06-03-12, 07:16 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6768 Post(s)
Liked 5,485 Times in 3,226 Posts
Originally Posted by rangerdavid
Here's a cut 'n paste from the wd 40 web site:

Works and Plays as Hard as You Do

Whether you’re a fisherman, cyclist, pool shark or anything in between, WD-40[SUB]®[/SUB] can help protect the equipment you use and ensure you continue doing the things you love. Use America’s favorite multi-purpose product to lubricate, protect and drive moisture from your gear and help avoid costly repairs later.

Drives moisture from wet bicycle chains
Bicycle chains are made of many small moving parts that are often exposed to wet or humid conditions. Use WD-40 to displace moisture and keep chains lubricated, so you can always enjoy a smooth ride.
Coca Cola is good for your teeth as it dissolves stray protein bits near your gums that lead to seborrhea.
Old 06-03-12, 07:24 PM
dissident

Bikes: Felt Z85

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
people over-clean and over-think this one. Just about anything will work.. cheapest a mixture of kerosene or mineral spirits and oil. Plain old silicone lubricant in a spray bottle will work fine too.. whatever. No need to take the chain off and soak it unless it floats your boat. Never have, probably never will. Not going to spend more than 5 minutes doing it.
Old 06-03-12, 08:23 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by Hunt-man
Lube is lube, get it on.
Except when you have to change a flat and your hands are black from the chain or you get chain tattoes. There's a big difference in cleaness
Old 06-03-12, 10:43 PM
Suburban Grind
occasional cyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Drip on and spray on dry moly lubricants, biggest market is industrial and agricultural conveyors:

https://www.schaefferoil.com/liquid-chain-lube.html

https://www.schaefferoil.com/roller-chain-lube.html

These are not the moly lubes with the reddish color that someone mentioned earlier in the thread. Besides chains these are popular with gun manufacturers for keeping slide mechanisms clean and working dependably under heavy usage/ high temperatures. FWIW note the MSDS do not list any extra carcinogenic risk as compared to other more typical lubricants.
Old 06-03-12, 10:58 PM
Drag
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Anyone use chainsaw lube?
Old 06-04-12, 03:25 AM
oxfordd30
Road & MTB

Bikes: Mostly Nashbar, 1 Mongoose MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, lube is lube. I've even used chainsaw lube from a spray can (convenient means of dispersal) and it seemed to work good. I've seem some shimano chains with (reportedly) 1K miles on them dry as a bone but working perfectly (it was kept out of bad weather and stored indoors). There was more wear but after that many miles most wish to upgrade anyhow. I think it's better to lubricate just a tad.

The worst I tried was white lithium spray, don't know what I was thinking. Don't ever do that, haha!
Old 06-04-12, 05:32 AM
Capecodder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Drag
Yes, cut with Mineral Spirits. It works as good as any. TBH if you run your chain through a rag after the first few rides after lubing they all stay pretty clean.
Old 06-04-12, 06:16 AM
dissident

Bikes: Felt Z85

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drag
yes, it works fine but it's rather dark. I started just using extra 0W30 synthetic oil for my car mixed with kerosene/mineral spirits, since I don't quite put the entire 5 quarts in the car. So it's basically going to be free now aside from the kerosene/mineral spirits cost.
Old 06-04-12, 06:23 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by oxfordd30
I agree, lube is lube.
No it's not. Some like Finish Line and White Lightning are wax
Old 06-04-12, 06:47 AM
Golfster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to hear good things about Rock-n-Roll Lube, but now I hear nothing at all about it.
Old 06-04-12, 07:39 AM
Yangster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Squirt Lube.. very clean and good.. better than most wax lube i have tried in the wet. Never looked at others anymore.
Old 06-04-12, 07:41 AM
mckeithen

Bikes: 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 2009 Cannondale Six Carbon 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rock and Roll Red - good stuff. Squirt it on, wipe off. Cleans and lubes at same time.
Old 06-04-12, 07:57 AM
Tuc
collector

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WD40 breaks down water droplets according to my chemistry friend, and water is attracted to it so you don't want WD puddling inside the rollers on an otherwise dry chain. It will create a water/WD foam over time if left in the tiny crevices and eventually air will get to it. Yeah, if for some reason your chain is soaked with water, WD will drive it all out when you follow up with compressed air too leaving it bone dry. WD does spread a layer of light oil on everything as a TEMPORARY barrier to air exposure which is when the water becomes a problem for metal, but it is a really lousy lubricant for a bike chain because that oil doesn't "stick", it evaporates leaving at least some of the water and eventually exposing the metal to the air.

My chemistry grad friend can say it a lot better, (I might even have some of this wrong!); in fact our conversation a few weeks ago is what prompted me to post here. He took samples of all the different chain lubes in my garage, (including that mystery airplane one) to his work at the university to examine them in one of the new fancy machines they just got that tells you everything that something is made of. Will track him down this week to see what he found.

Last edited by Tuc; 06-04-12 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-04-12, 12:46 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuc
WD40 breaks down water droplets...and water is attracted to it so you don't want WD puddling inside the rollers on an otherwise dry chain....if for some reason your chain is soaked with water, WD will drive it all out when you follow up with compressed air too leaving it bone dry. WD does spread a layer of light oil on everything as a TEMPORARY barrier to air exposure which is when the water becomes a problem for metal, but it is a really lousy lubricant for a bike chain because that oil doesn't "stick", it evaporates leaving at least some of the water and eventually exposing the metal to the air.
Thanks for the info. Using the compressed air to blow out the WD/water kinda makes sense, and my experience WD evaporates instead of leaving a lubricating layer seems to agree also. Somewhere I read WD40 was created to drive moisture from electrical wiring conduits or something like that - but never read about the exact technique. Might have been compressed air as you said.

Looking forward to an update from your friend.
Old 06-04-12, 02:18 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuc
WD40 breaks down water droplets according to my chemistry friend, and water is attracted to it so you don't want WD puddling inside the rollers on an otherwise dry chain. It will create a water/WD foam over time if left in the tiny crevices and eventually air will get to it. Yeah, if for some reason your chain is soaked with water, WD will drive it all out when you follow up with compressed air too leaving it bone dry. WD does spread a layer of light oil on everything as a TEMPORARY barrier to air exposure which is when the water becomes a problem for metal, but it is a really lousy lubricant for a bike chain because that oil doesn't "stick", it evaporates leaving at least some of the water and eventually exposing the metal to the air.

My chemistry grad friend can say it a lot better, (I might even have some of this wrong!); in fact our conversation a few weeks ago is what prompted me to post here. He took samples of all the different chain lubes in my garage, (including that mystery airplane one) to his work at the university to examine them in one of the new fancy machines they just got that tells you everything that something is made of. Will track him down this week to see what he found.
I have used WD40 in place of mineral spirits as WD40 is primarily a solvent / mineral spirits that has a very small quantity of organic oil and by increasing the ratio of petroleum based lubricant to the solvent you get a product that cleans and lubricates and works extremely well in wet and nasty conditions.
Old 06-04-12, 09:15 PM
Bishbike

Bikes: 2002 Bianchi Eros, 2013 Peter Mooney Custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mayday328
I've had very good(clean) success with Prolink.
+1
Old 06-04-12, 10:06 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Capecodder
Dumonde Tech (Lite). The OP doesn't care how long it lasts or if he needs to apply after every ride. He does not ride in rain or wet conditions so most any lube will last well. What he wants is CLEAN....... Dumonde Tech (Lite) will be clean and will last 300-500 miles between applications.
My current lube of choice too. Drive chain runs clean and silent. But from what I've seen, only sold in expensive, small bottles.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 06-04-12, 11:31 PM
Dilberto

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Bar and Chain Oil, hands down. If it's good enough for wet, muddy and sawdust-ridden loggers....it's good enough for cycling.
Old 06-05-12, 12:20 AM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
I now use Pro-Link Gold on both my road bike and mtb. Both stay amazingly clean. That stuff just doesn't attract dirt. I've used Triflow (dirt magnet), Pedro's Synlube (also a dirt magnet) and Pedro's Icewax (clean but burns off after one ride, maybe during a ride).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.