Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

lynskey cooper - gunnar roadie

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

lynskey cooper - gunnar roadie

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-09, 09:20 AM
Yangster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its a diamond but very rounded. You can feel the diamond shape only when u touch it.
Old 11-12-09, 12:28 PM
n8tron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Boy
n8tron, if you're between sizes, then you can choose the smaller frame for a more aggressive fit or the larger one for a less aggressive fit. It kind of depends what your back will allow. The saddle to bar measurement will ultimately be dictated by the stem. The different frame sizes will dictate saddle to bar drop.
I've been thinking about this and wanted to talk about it a bit. I think I always assumed that a larger frame would be a more aggressive fit as your body would be stretched out more to reach the bars... where as if its a bit shorter you arms will be moved in and you would be more upright. Is that not the case?

I feel like there are so many different options, both with just frame geo and then with stems, stem lengths, stem rise or flipped...amount of spacers... seatpost set back. !!!! enough to drive you crazy getting it right!
Old 11-12-09, 01:15 PM
akansaskid
Freddin' it

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not a frame expert, but the smaller frame will also have a shorter headtube, and hence, lower bars if all else is equal. Overall fit then is a blend of lower, but closer bars. Whether or not that's more upright depends on the headtube heights. Then, too, effective top tube lengths are not always proportional to increases in frame size. (I.e., going from a 56 to a 58 frame doesn't always translate to a 2 cm longer eff top tube.)

I have a 56 cm Roubaix with a 190 (!) mm headtube. But I have the seat and bars jacked up sky-high to accommodate my long legs vs short torso. I'd like to think a 58 would look better, and would only need maybe a 20 mm shorter stem to make it work, but every 58 feels too stretched out - so much so that a 20 mm shorter stem doesn't seem like enough. There's obviously more going here than my casual observations would like to believe.
Old 11-12-09, 01:47 PM
n8tron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by akansaskid
Not a frame expert, but the smaller frame will also have a shorter headtube, and hence, lower bars if all else is equal. Overall fit then is a blend of lower, but closer bars. Whether or not that's more upright depends on the headtube heights. Then, too, effective top tube lengths are not always proportional to increases in frame size. (I.e., going from a 56 to a 58 frame doesn't always translate to a 2 cm longer eff top tube.)

I have a 56 cm Roubaix with a 190 (!) mm headtube. But I have the seat and bars jacked up sky-high to accommodate my long legs vs short torso. I'd like to think a 58 would look better, and would only need maybe a 20 mm shorter stem to make it work, but every 58 feels too stretched out - so much so that a 20 mm shorter stem doesn't seem like enough. There's obviously more going here than my casual observations would like to believe.
Ah, that does make sense.

By the way, I think I have a similar fitting problem as you. I have long legs and always have to have the seatpost very high and usually feel stretched out even with shorter stems.
Old 11-12-09, 02:49 PM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mudhead
For $40 Gunnar will not apply the stickers. Got that in an email response when I inquired about ordering a Roadie without the "roadie" decal.
That surprises me. When I worked at a Gunnar Dealer a while back we would have to call Gunnar to order a frame, and they'd have a bunch of them primered up and ready to be painted whichever color you ordered, so having them leave off the decals was no big deal. Perhaps they're stocking painted frames now.

By the way, I got a replacement Roadie under their crash replacement program and I asked them to leave off the "Roadie" decal, which they did, no problem. I also told them that "Roadie" was a dumb name for the bike and that they should bring back "Hot Dog". Maybe we need to start a petition.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 11-12-09, 03:32 PM
acckids

Bikes: Lynskey R150 & Trek Cronus CX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I have had multiple Gunnars(Sport, Roadie and Rockhound). Solid bikes. Not sure why I sold them because I always compare by current ride with the Roadie. I found this recently on Schwinn which looks like a reasonable deal. This would set you back $1900 for a Gunnar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Schwinn[1].jpg (32.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-12-09, 03:40 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,066 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by eofelis

By the way, I got a replacement Roadie under their crash replacement program and I asked them to leave off the "Roadie" decal, which they did, no problem. I also told them that "Roadie" was a dumb name for the bike and that they should bring back "Hot Dog". Maybe we need to start a petition.
What about "Tire Biter"?
Old 11-12-09, 03:50 PM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by akansaskid
Not a frame expert, but the smaller frame will also have a shorter headtube, and hence, lower bars if all else is equal. Overall fit then is a blend of lower, but closer bars. Whether or not that's more upright depends on the headtube heights.

Yup. On the larger frame, you'll run a shorter stem and on the smaller one you'll run a longer one. The saddle-to-bar dimension will remain about constant, but the saddle-to-bar drop will be greater with the smaller frame, which gives you the more aggressive position.